Naysayers: The Absolute Sound is your pal! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Naysayers: The Absolute Sound is your pal!

DMK
07-21-2004, 04:19 PM
I suspected this would happen! I just read over in the general section at AA that someone has just replaced all his expensive power cords with the Home Depot wire that The Absolute Sound reviewed favorably a few issues ago. Ok, he did wax eloquently about the gains he heard in musicality, imaging and the rest of that stuff but it appears that the power of suggestion works both ways. I wonder when we can expect reviews of the cheap interconnects that come with cheap electronics as the next "big thing" in cables?

pctower
07-21-2004, 04:26 PM
I suspected this would happen! I just read over in the general section at AA that someone has just replaced all his expensive power cords with the Home Depot wire that The Absolute Sound reviewed favorably a few issues ago. Ok, he did wax eloquently about the gains he heard in musicality, imaging and the rest of that stuff but it appears that the power of suggestion works both ways. I wonder when we can expect reviews of the cheap interconnects that come with cheap electronics as the next "big thing" in cables?

but it appears that the power of suggestion works both ways

And your support for this statement is?

DMK
07-21-2004, 04:45 PM
but it appears that the power of suggestion works both ways

And your support for this statement is?

25 years of cable marketing and subsequent purchasing on the one side and several posts regarding the Home Depot cable, most notably the one I mentioned, on the other side. Pure speculation, of course, but I wonder how many audiophiles would have tried the Home Depot cable before the nice review and how many audiophiles that did try it would have called it anything but junk before the review.

pctower
07-22-2004, 09:07 AM
25 years of cable marketing and subsequent purchasing on the one side and several posts regarding the Home Depot cable, most notably the one I mentioned, on the other side. Pure speculation, of course, but I wonder how many audiophiles would have tried the Home Depot cable before the nice review and how many audiophiles that did try it would have called it anything but junk before the review.

Pure speculation, of course, but I wonder how many audiophiles would have tried the Home Depot cable before the nice review and how many audiophiles that did try it would have called it anything but junk before the review.

I wonder the same thing too. That's different than assuming.

Tony_Montana
07-22-2004, 02:05 PM
I just read over in the general section at AA that someone has just replaced all his expensive power cords with the Home Depot wire that The Absolute Sound reviewed favorably a few issues ago.

That is the main problem with subjective reviewing done by magazines or individuals. You are at their mercy as far as how the reviewer hear the difference and in what mental condition they are when reviewing. For all we know, reviewer might be deaf in one ear, and can't hear out of the other, and had couple of galsses of sparkling water before revewing :D

For objective reviewing, you wouldn't have that mess.

skeptic
07-22-2004, 02:36 PM
If you are expecting honest capable engineers to pick these cable designs apart, compare them spec for spec, correlate them to the results of DBTs testing for audible differences, and give you straight talking facts about whether there are or aren't real differences in what you can hear and what its signifigance it, forget about it. They won't even do it for amplifiers.