Noob ?: Is it possible to get 5.1 surround sound from Comcast Digital Cable? How? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Noob ?: Is it possible to get 5.1 surround sound from Comcast Digital Cable? How?

steveb
07-21-2004, 02:20 PM
I have recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V750/Klipsch Reference HT package.

Separately, I signed up for Comcast Digital Cable( to watch the Tour de France). The digital cable box is the Motorola Digital Cable Box Model DCT2224.

Is it possible to get Dolby Digital surround sound out of the cable box? If so, what settings on this cable box and what connections to my receiver do I need to make? Or do I need to use Pro Logic IIx to fake into sounding like Dolby Digital/5.1? It looks like there are only composite connections on the back of the cable box: red/white/yellow (R/L/V).

I don't have an HD TV yet, or I would move to Satellite or HD cable.

Thanks.

This Guy
07-21-2004, 02:27 PM
Unless the box has an optical or coaxial digital output, no you can't get dolby digital. Maybe comcast offers a box with one of those outputs.

Mikereyno
07-24-2004, 08:38 AM
I have recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V750/Klipsch Reference HT package.

Separately, I signed up for Comcast Digital Cable( to watch the Tour de France). The digital cable box is the Motorola Digital Cable Box Model DCT2224.

Is it possible to get Dolby Digital surround sound out of the cable box? If so, what settings on this cable box and what connections to my receiver do I need to make? Or do I need to use Pro Logic IIx to fake into sounding like Dolby Digital/5.1? It looks like there are only composite connections on the back of the cable box: red/white/yellow (R/L/V).

I don't have an HD TV yet, or I would move to Satellite or HD cable.

Thanks.

Steveb

I can't speak to the ability of the DCT2224 to allow you to do this, however I have Comcast HD Digital Cable and they provide the DCT5100 cable box and it does have an Optical SPDT connection that I use an optical cable to connect to my Yamaha RX-V2400. I do get selected dolby digital /5.1.

grampi
07-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Steveb

I can't speak to the ability of the DCT2224 to allow you to do this, however I have Comcast HD Digital Cable and they provide the DCT5100 cable box and it does have an Optical SPDT connection that I use an optical cable to connect to my Yamaha RX-V2400. I do get selected dolby digital /5.1.

I have DirecTV satellite service and I've been trying to figure out how to get 5.1 using it. For some reason I'm not getting my LFE when I'm watching programs on satellite. If I switch the receiver to DVD, tons of LFE, satellite, nothing. Makes no sense.