Sub/sat's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub/sat's

dkvce
07-20-2004, 09:08 AM
I'll admit it, I need to use a sub/sat set-up as a compromise for my wife.
That said, I am seeking the best possible sound using this configuration and ideally keeping the cost in the 500 to 800 price range. I am currently focusing on products made by API: Energy Encore's, Take 5.2 and the new Athena Micra 6's. I live in Vermont where there are no Energy dealers, so I can't audition them myself. The Athenas are new and can be had at BestBuy for 500. The encore's have been out for several years, the 5.2's are newer but not new and the Athena's are brand new. I'm wondering if the older technology hasn't been reproduced in the athena's thus making them a great bargain, or whether "you get what you pay for" and the age doesn't diminish sound quality. I am certain the the Energy speakers use higher priced parts, but ultimately it's the sound that matters most.

Buzz Roll
07-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Anthony Gallo's sub/sat sytem is pretty nice - I think it's around $800.
roundsound.com

brian_tr
07-20-2004, 02:51 PM
I would also consider Orb Audio. I have had mine for about a month now am amazed at the sound. I paid around $700 for the 5.1 set. They are small stylish speakers with amazing big sound. I think they sound every bit as good as my Paradigm Monitor series. Their sales and service where outstanding. It is not often I brag about company but this is one. I am a very happy customer.