Anyone ever heard of Yamaha NS 777 speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever heard of Yamaha NS 777 speakers?

agidol
07-19-2004, 01:45 PM
I bought them last week to replace my Bose 701s and man they were horrible. Their highs were ok but metallic and worst of all they had even less bass than bookshelves despite their boast for 3 way speakers (two woofers). I decided to give them a try after hearing all the Bose bashes to see if I'm truly missing something but at least the Yamahas I tried are not going to replace my Bose which were far superior in every ways.. Now I know why Yamaha's known for receivers not speakers.

Garrardman
07-26-2004, 05:28 AM
Yamaha speakers always do tend to have a bright and quite forward balance, which must have come as a shock after Bose - it isn't for no reason that someone wrote the line - "no highs no lows - must be Bose" !!
The Yamahas should improve with running in for a few weeks but I suspect that they're not ever going to give the sort of sound you're after.
Take them back, get a refund and remember next time to listen to any other speakers you consider BEFORE you buy them!

Adam.

skeptic
07-26-2004, 05:53 AM
Anyone ever hear of the Yamaha "Big Ear" speaker????? It was probably the first speaker they ever marketed in the United States and was a total flop. It probably made is brief appearance in the early to mid 1960s when the only thing Yamaha was know for was motorcycles.

Anyone ever hear of the Yamaha NS1000. It was a 3 way 12" system with berylium midrange and tweeter drivers, it still is one of the most prized items by knowledgable collectors of vintage audio gear because it was a fantastic performer. It undoubtedely commands far more today that it cost retail in the mid 1970s about $1000 a pair.

Kursun
07-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Since you say, "Bose which were far superior in every ways.. " it seems you have a "different" taste in sound. I would prefer any $50 Chinese 2-way speakers to Bose speakers.
You may be missing the exagerrated mid-bass hump which Bose has. Most audiophile speakers have bright sound. This doesn't go well with over-bright pop recordings. But jazz recordings have the neutral tonality which these speakers require. Generally after a couple of years tonality of speakers change towards producing more bass.

I agree with Sceptic on the subject of Yamaha NS1000Ms. Other speakers come and go, but the Yamaha NS1000Ms stay as probably best speakers man has ever made.

agidol
07-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Since they were the one who claimed this Yammy will have better range (especially on lower end) than Bose. Yammy was weak on the output side as well -- I had to turn the volume up when switching my towers from Bose to Yamaha... i wonder if Bose's built-in amp had anything to do with it. However I do admit that while Bose sounded richer than Yamaha in general, Yammy did produce more clear treble. Bottom line was Yamaha gave me no reason to go through hassle and sell my Bose - besides the wife likes the brand...great show off to friends. I wonder why Yamaha stopped making those great speakers you were talking about.

Garrardman
07-28-2004, 01:05 AM
I believe the latest variant of the NS-1000 is called the NS-1000X and they are still made, but i don't think they're exported outside Japan any more (they certainly don't come to the UK).
Adam.

Kursun
07-30-2004, 06:05 AM
Since they were the one who claimed this Yammy will have better range (especially on lower end) than Bose. Yammy was weak on the output side as well -- I had to turn the volume up when switching my towers from Bose to Yamaha... i wonder if Bose's built-in amp had anything to do with it. However I do admit that while Bose sounded richer than Yamaha in general, Yammy did produce more clear treble. Bottom line was Yamaha gave me no reason to go through hassle and sell my Bose - besides the wife likes the brand...great show off to friends. I wonder why Yamaha stopped making those great speakers you were talking about.
The Bose may have higher output as its sensitivity is probably aided by its active woofer.
Why Yamaha stopped making those great speakers is probably a marketing decision. In a market where Bose is considered "show-off" and the Yamaha has diffuse image as motocycle, piano, electronics manufacturer, it is hard to sell great speakers under Yamaha brand. Furthermore I have heard that producing the same speakers (NS1000M and NS1000) today would cost $11000 (manufacturing costs alone) now.