Memories of Marlon... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Marlon...

Worf101
07-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Love him or hate him... he was a power. He could do straight drama with the best of em, musical comedy and straight comedy. Versatile, strong, larger than life. He will be missed. I'd be hard pressed to name anyone else I'd ever consider for "greatest film actor of our time".

1. Apocalypse Now!
2. The Godfather.
3. The Freshman.

Da Wistful Worfster :(

Woochifer
07-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Geez, never knew dude has such range! I just remember his work from such classics as "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" and "Scary Movie." Didn't know he passed on, so I guess "White Chicks" will be his swan song. Too bad, reviews for that movie weren't very good.

Uh, you were talking about Marlon Wayans, weren't you? :-/

Worf101
07-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Geez, never knew dude has such range! I just remember his work from such classics as "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" and "Scary Movie." Didn't know he passed on, so I guess "White Chicks" will be his swan song. Too bad, reviews for that movie weren't very good.

Uh, you were talking about Marlon Wayans, weren't you? :-/

That s**t was just plain WRONG!!!!!

Funny, but WRONG.

Da Worfster :D

Woochifer
07-20-2004, 06:08 PM
That s**t was just plain WRONG!!!!!

Funny, but WRONG.

Da Worfster :D

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up! :D

I guess by the time I got into movie going, Brando's influence was already such that it was just another part of the landscape. I never really understood the hype behind Brando, but then again I don't remember a time before Brando and method acting became commonplace. With kids today raised with CGI effects, they really can't fathom how revolutionary movies like 2001 or Star Wars or T2 were for their era. I guess this is the same difference.

When I was a kid, the first movie I ever saw with Brando was Superman, and I couldn't understand half of what he was saying! When I heard that he got the biggest paycheck ever (up to that point) for that cameo role in Superman, it left me scratching my head. Of course, later viewings of The Godfather and On The Waterfront indicated to me that he's definitely got some acting chops. I guess I'll have to explore the stuff from his heyday more. I still haven't seen Streetcar Named Desire or The Wild One or Guys and Dolls.

Worf101
07-21-2004, 07:40 AM
You would have had to live with Monoural to understand what Stereo did. I lived in a time when there were only 4 Stations on the TV and if you missed a program you missed it!!!

Never looked at actors that way before but I guess you can. Certainly I see your point about looking at visual innovations that way. But King Kong still looks better than some CGI to me. Marlon was already acting when I came to be a film freak but his old stuff struck me. "On the Waterfront", even his protrayal of Marc Antony in "Julius Ceaser" was amazing. He held his own with Sir John Gielgud, James Mason and others doing straight Shakespere. He's got chops, gotta give him his due.

Da Worfster