stylish speakers? read on.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : stylish speakers? read on..

Roman-dude
07-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Well, I currently have RT2000, RT16 & CS450 Polk Audio set up and am moving to a new place. These are far from stylish black boxes and my wife is starting to give me trouble... So, the question is, where do I start looking to find a set of nice/modern looking speakers WITHOUT sacrificing the quality? I've been thinking about Magnepans, they seem to have a good deal on MC1's...did anyone hear these?
thanks

Roman-dude
07-19-2004, 08:11 AM
nt thanks

topspeed
07-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Modern looking is purely subjective but I'll give it a shot. How about Gallo Acoustics, KEF KHT's, Mirage Omnisats, or Norh? Any of those should satisfy your aethestic sensibilities and still sound better than Bose cubes.

Maggies are great speakers as long as you understand their limitations. They will not play the lower octaves with much authority and some feel their treble can be soft, but ohh, that midrange! You'll have to listen to them yourself to determine whether or not they are for you, as with any speaker. Maggies also have a rep for being difficult to drive, a serious consideration if you are using a receiver.

Hope this helps.

stuartlittle
07-19-2004, 08:58 PM
check out Norh and Orb Audio

RGA
07-19-2004, 09:44 PM
This site has some cutting edge lookers and some just bizzarro stuff. http://www.exoticaudio.org/index.html

chimera128
07-20-2004, 01:15 AM
I've always liked the look of Martin Logans. The Anthony Gallos (nucleus ?) have a good look to them also. Hmm... Legacy Audio speakers look good with the grills off, though I haven't heard them.

46minaudio
07-20-2004, 04:28 AM
Well, I currently have RT2000, RT16 & CS450 Polk Audio set up and am moving to a new place. These are far from stylish black boxes and my wife is starting to give me trouble... So, the question is, where do I start looking to find a set of nice/modern looking speakers WITHOUT sacrificing the quality? I've been thinking about Magnepans, they seem to have a good deal on MC1's...did anyone hear these?
thanks
http://www.av123.com/index.php

kexodusc
07-20-2004, 05:17 AM
Not sure of your budget, but Totem Acoustic have always made beautiful speakers that compete sound-wise with anything in their price-range. Definitely worth a listen and a viewing.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/english/index_eng.htm

F1
07-20-2004, 05:53 AM
Have a look at B&W CM or 700 series, or Wharfedale Evo series

requiem
07-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Canton LE's and Karat

Bryan
07-21-2004, 06:23 AM
Just a word of note: With the nOrhs you will either love or hate the looks. If you are unsure, then don't buy them. If you enjoy the jet engine look, they very well could be the speaker for you. If you want a used set of blue/silver ones for $475 plus shipping, contact me. ;^) You could check out offerings from Odyssey, Magnepan, Ascend Acoustics, Axiom, ACI, and Onix, to name a few. It will depend upon the sound you are after and what you are willing to pay for the speakers.