Advice for hometheater newbie!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice for hometheater newbie!!

aptamer1
07-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Hi all!

I decided to get a home theater a month ago, but I still can't decide what I should get.

The list below is the ones that I'm considering, so hope you guys can give me some advice about these products.

Receiver : Denon AVR-1604, or Yamaha RX-V450

Speaker : Fluance AV-HTB, or JBL SCS-135SI, or Onkyo SKS HT-510

DVD player : Phillips DVP-642

My maximum budget for speaker, receiver and DVD player would be around $500, and the main purpose for this system is for movie and occasional music listening.

And my room is around 15*15.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

F1
07-19-2004, 04:55 AM
Either one.
Probably that's the best system you can get for the budget.

AVMASTER
07-19-2004, 01:27 PM
if you can go a little higher, check out Onkyo Hts667c or if you've got to have 6.1, Onkyo
Hts760 and a really inexpensive dvd player

hershon
07-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Take it from me, do not get everything for $500 if your planning to use your home theater for your main CD player. You should definately invest $300 -$700 on a new group of 5 excellent speakers and a sub. I know people are tired of hearing me endorse this product, but you can get a great complete home theater set up from Orb (Orbaudio.com)including 5 Mod1 speakers, Orb sub, good speaker wire & an excellent JVC DVD receiver (ignore the crap about people saying you shouldn't have a built in DVD- that's a bunch of crap) for under or around $1000. The extra $500 will be worth it to you in the long run. If you don't want to spend the money then your going to wind up with something worthless for $500 (the receiver might be good but speakers aren't or vice versa). You get what you pay for. I'd also try to buy monster Cable on EBAY.

Hi all!

I decided to get a home theater a month ago, but I still can't decide what I should get.

The list below is the ones that I'm considering, so hope you guys can give me some advice about these products.

Receiver : Denon AVR-1604, or Yamaha RX-V450

Speaker : Fluance AV-HTB, or JBL SCS-135SI, or Onkyo SKS HT-510

DVD player : Phillips DVP-642

My maximum budget for speaker, receiver and DVD player would be around $500, and the main purpose for this system is for movie and occasional music listening.

And my room is around 15*15.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.