need a good sub(2) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need a good sub(2)

KRiTiKaL
07-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey I want to get 2 subs, most likely 12"s. Is there a big difference in a 10" 12" or 15"? Can subs be used as main woofers? I want to put my front satellites(on stands) on my subs. Thanks in advance!

cam
07-18-2004, 05:55 PM
Hey I want to get 2 subs, most likely 12"s. Is there a big difference in a 10" 12" or 15"? Can subs be used as main woofers? I want to put my front satellites(on stands) on my subs. Thanks in advance!
I do believe that you will most likely have your sats topple over if they are on stands on your subs. Yes there is a big difference in subs ranging from 10 inches to 15. The biggest difference would be price especially if you are buying 2. Unless your room is HUGE you should have no problem with one 12 incher or one 15 incher as long as it is producing the low notes to your liking. It almost looks like you are looking for an all in one floorstander. Off hand I can't recall the name, but Paradigm makes floorstander with built in subs, or maybe in this case they would be built in powered woofers. Each one consists of three 8 inch woofers self powered by 175 rms amp, one 6.5 mid and one 1 inch tweet. Those might work better then putting sats on stands on subs. Off hand I think they are called monitor 90p's.

skeptic
07-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Using two subs has many advantages over using just one, the most obvious and probably biggest is integrating it with the rest of your system. When subs are a considerable distance from the satellites, there will be inevitable major peaks and dips in frequency response in the range of the transition. This can be minimized by having your satellites on or near your subs. Any sub which would cause the satellites to tip over couldn't have a very strudy or stable box. If you have any concerns, place a marble or granite tile on top of the sub. They cost under $10 each at a tile strore.

I'd consider Parts express Titanic III series. I haven't tried one yet but from the look of them, they are a fine value and even better if you can handle a few tools, have an hour or so to spare and you build it yourself.

A subwoofer cannot usually be used in place of a woofer because they usually cross over at about 200 hz or less. The rationale is that below this frequency they are supposed to be non directional so placement isn't critical. Many true woofers in multiway speaker systems cross over to a midrange in the 500 to 800 hz region.

KRiTiKaL
07-19-2004, 10:24 AM
For the price I could go with 2 Ravas. Is thier a better solution for my budget? How are the JBL pb250s? I'm looking at about $1000 for 2 12" subs.