newbie needs help powering up [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs help powering up

pwolsko
07-18-2004, 03:29 PM
surge protector? conditioner? filter? have electrician place 12g dedicated line?.... aaaggghh!

I am trying to set up a system (first one and want to do it right) and have been getting totally mixed messages from everyone. SO, could someone please give me the straight dope? WHAT DO I NEED TO BUY?

1 - Surge protector? $50? $1000? Specific recommendations that work but dont break the budget?
2 - Electrician put in a 12g line to the audio outlet?
3 - Anything else?
4 - None of the above?

WISE advice GREATLY appreciated.

cam
07-18-2004, 05:13 PM
surge protector? conditioner? filter? have electrician place 12g dedicated line?.... aaaggghh!

I am trying to set up a system (first one and want to do it right) and have been getting totally mixed messages from everyone. SO, could someone please give me the straight dope? WHAT DO I NEED TO BUY?

1 - Surge protector? $50? $1000? Specific recommendations that work but dont break the budget?
2 - Electrician put in a 12g line to the audio outlet?
3 - Anything else?
4 - None of the above?

WISE advice GREATLY appreciated.
A surge protector for all your audio gear is a wise decision. Go to Radio Shack and drop $20. As far as you needing a line conditioner, that all depends on other things in your house causing interference such as a fridge cycling on and off. You won't know until your gear is hooked up. Chances are it would be a waste of money so don't let some sales person fool you into thinking you need a $300 monster line conditioner.

markw
07-18-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm not too sure what you mean by "wise" advice. Is it sharing my expeiences or reinforcing your beliefs, whatever they might be. I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and assume the first option.

I'm not doing anything fancy and it seems to be working quite well.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that if you have a mutha power amp, you might want to have pluged into a different outlet on a different line, though.

Sometimes, you have to think rather than react to the latest fads unless money is no object. Even then, you might never know that you didn't need to worry about it in the first place.