Need advice with new CD Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with new CD Player

musicguy04
07-17-2004, 09:25 PM
I posted an earlier message about getting a new AMP or new CD player. Well, the amp is out of the question right now for several reasons. It'll be much better to match an amp when I have the speakers I like. Also, the amp might end up costing more than the price range I specified before. But that is not the major reason.

This is the major reason. I have a Toshiba SD-5700. I've had it for well over 2 years. It plays DVDs, CD-R's perfectly. But, it has problems reading normal CD's. This has been an ongoing problem for a few months, and has gotten worse recently, and has stabilized. Bascially, about 70% of CD's no problem. Then the remainder, I have to insert 2, 3, 4 sometimes 5 times before the player recognizes them, and with 2 of my CD's I just gave up. This is really annoying.

What made my decision is that I heard back from Toshiba service, and since it's out of warranty, it'll cost $90 just for them to look at it plus $20 shipping each way. There's no way I'm paying $130 plus parts and risk UPS damaging it for something I only paid like $215 in the first place.

But it plays DVD's fine, so I just need a CD player. I want a really good unit that will fit well with an entry-level high end system. I would like to keep it around $800 +-$200. I was thinking about the Arcam CD73. What do people think about this CD player? I like that its upgradeable. Any other good ones in the price range? I'm using discrete external inputs on my receiver, so I'd like something with a very good DAC and analog output stage. I want it to sound better than Denon universal players I've heard, which sound a little better than what I have. Given space constraints, I can't use a top loading player.

NickWH
07-18-2004, 06:34 AM
If you want to save a couple of bucks, I recommend you check out the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C. It retails for $499. You will get 95% of the performance of the pricier units for about half the cost.

07-18-2004, 08:47 AM
If you want to save a couple of bucks, I recommend you check out the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C. It retails for $499. You will get 95% of the performance of the pricier units for about half the cost.

Hey buddy, how's the transport section of that unit? low noise and quiet motor spin? Will it read all CDs?

musicguy04
07-18-2004, 09:29 AM
My unit? No it won't read all CD's, at least not right away. It may take 10 minutes of trying to get some to play, which is excessively annoying. Anyway, it reads DVD's just fine as I use the digital out to send to the receiver.

NickWH
07-18-2004, 12:14 PM
92135011: The Sony transport in the CA is very quiet. I cannot hear the motor unless I'm right in front of the unit. The disc tray closes with authority...smooth and quiet, but quick. I'd say it takes about 5 seconds from hitting the close button for the table of contents to be read - ready for play. This player has read every CD I've tried (haven't tried CD-RW yet, but it's supposed to work). There a few CD Extra discs in my collection that would trip up my Sony DVD player...no problem on the CA.

46minaudio
07-19-2004, 04:20 AM
I posted an earlier message about getting a new AMP or new CD player. Well, the amp is out of the question right now for several reasons. It'll be much better to match an amp when I have the speakers I like. Also, the amp might end up costing more than the price range I specified before. But that is not the major reason.

This is the major reason. I have a Toshiba SD-5700. I've had it for well over 2 years. It plays DVDs, CD-R's perfectly. But, it has problems reading normal CD's. This has been an ongoing problem for a few months, and has gotten worse recently, and has stabilized. Bascially, about 70% of CD's no problem. Then the remainder, I have to insert 2, 3, 4 sometimes 5 times before the player recognizes them, and with 2 of my CD's I just gave up. This is really annoying.

What made my decision is that I heard back from Toshiba service, and since it's out of warranty, it'll cost $90 just for them to look at it plus $20 shipping each way. There's no way I'm paying $130 plus parts and risk UPS damaging it for something I only paid like $215 in the first place.

But it plays DVD's fine, so I just need a CD player. I want a really good unit that will fit well with an entry-level high end system. I would like to keep it around $800 +-$200. I was thinking about the Arcam CD73. What do people think about this CD player? I like that its upgradeable. Any other good ones in the price range? I'm using discrete external inputs on my receiver, so I'd like something with a very good DAC and analog output stage. I want it to sound better than Denon universal players I've heard, which sound a little better than what I have. Given space constraints, I can't use a top loading player.
Here ya go this one does it all.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?ref=yahoo&pfp=yahoo&product_code=305043&cm_ven=yahoo&cm_cat=&cm_pla=&cm_ite=feed&engine=yahooshopping
Now go out and and use all the money you saved and buy some CDs,SACDs,DVDa,And some DVDs.

musicguy04
07-19-2004, 07:56 AM
I don't want a new DVD player. I have a perfectly good one that plays DVD's well. I want a really good CD player, and yes, I know there are differences in sound qualities of CD players. It's not an imagined thing. But I do believe there's a point of diminishing returns, and from my experience, I believe my price point to be about there.

mtrycraft
07-19-2004, 11:22 AM
I don't want a new DVD player. I have a perfectly good one that plays DVD's well. I want a really good CD player, and yes, I know there are differences in sound qualities of CD players. It's not an imagined thing. But I do believe there's a point of diminishing returns, and from my experience, I believe my price point to be about there.

But 46 min recommended a really good CD player. It so happens it also playes the whole audio gammut. Be happy, enjoy all the new music or video you can buy.

Oh, by the way, spending $600- $1000 on a stand alone CD player will guarantee you nothing extraordinary outside of a sticker shock or a designer label.

07-19-2004, 01:34 PM
92135011: The Sony transport in the CA is very quiet. I cannot hear the motor unless I'm right in front of the unit. The disc tray closes with authority...smooth and quiet, but quick. I'd say it takes about 5 seconds from hitting the close button for the table of contents to be read - ready for play. This player has read every CD I've tried (haven't tried CD-RW yet, but it's supposed to work). There a few CD Extra discs in my collection that would trip up my Sony DVD player...no problem on the CA.

Good! then it's worth a try at my dealer!
The 540C is the same thing as the 640C right? except a better DAC that is...
Could you tell me how much one of those units costs?

NickWH
07-19-2004, 04:04 PM
The 540C is the same thing as the 640C right? except a better DAC that is...

While the two CDP's look identical from the outside, there are some differences on the inside. You can note these differences on CA's website:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/azurseries.html

Now that I look at the site again, it appears that CA has added a new CDP to the lineup, the entry-level Azur 340C (to go along with a new integrated, the 340A). Now it's going to get real confusing!

The Azur 540C retails for $350, and the Azur 640C retails for $500. You can find better prices if you shop around/haggle, etc. While both players are good and highly reviewed, people are really raving over the 640C. I went for broke and went straight to the 640C, so I can't tell you what I heard differently. The latest review of the 640C can be found here:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2004/cambridge_azur.shtml

If you do a comparo, etc., let us know what you find.

Peter_Klim
02-18-2005, 06:09 PM
While the two CDP's look identical from the outside, there are some differences on the inside. You can note these differences on CA's website:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/azurseries.html

Now that I look at the site again, it appears that CA has added a new CDP to the lineup, the entry-level Azur 340C (to go along with a new integrated, the 340A). Now it's going to get real confusing!

The Azur 540C retails for $350, and the Azur 640C retails for $500. You can find better prices if you shop around/haggle, etc. While both players are good and highly reviewed, people are really raving over the 640C. I went for broke and went straight to the 640C, so I can't tell you what I heard differently. The latest review of the 640C can be found here:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2004/cambridge_azur.shtml

If you do a comparo, etc., let us know what you find.

"540C is the same thing as the 640C right? except a better DAC that is"

They both use a 24-bit/192kHz Wolfson converter. But are they still different converters? The 640 is supposedly using the same converter found in Arcam's more expensive CD73T CDP.