Half Gone 2004 - A Half Fast Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Half Gone 2004 - A Half Fast Review

allears
07-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Another enjoyable listen from Davey! It's been way too long. My musical tastes run toward the "Honeydogs - 23rd Chromosome," so most of the rest of the songs aren't what I usually listen to. Having said that, I like most of the rest of the tunes.

The "Les Savy Fav" tune opens with a great groove, they soon start to holler and I typically hate that, but after a few listens I actually started to like the song. The two "Animal Collective" cuts are very different. I didn't particularly like 'Who Could Win a Rabbit' so I was kinda dreading their next song, but did like 'Leaf House' quite a bit.

I may just have to purchase the "Lali Puna" disc. I like the music and the muffled sounding vocals. "The Moonbabies" are appealing as well. I already have purchased some "Electrelane" and like their sound also.

Nice variation in this disc, thanks Davey.

As I said, this is a half-fast review.

Lastly, who sings the hidden track?

Davey
07-18-2004, 07:27 AM
.....who sings the hidden track?
Hey allears, thanks for the "half fast" review! Cute little bit of wordplay :)

The bonus track is by Willard Grant Conspiracy from their latest <i>Regard The End</i> which tentoze and I have been street teaming around here recently (just search for comments if interested). You can see the title if you stick it in the computer and play it with EAC or HACP or Roxio or anything that reads CD-TEXT. As I said in my original post on the comp, I was only gonna send out 5 so went ahead and burned them up and printed the cover, but then a few others wanted a copy so I went ahead and burned some more. But since there was almost 3 minutes space left on the comp I figured I would add a bonus track to those new ones just for fun. And since I'd been playing the crap out of the WGC album at the time and we (me and tentoze) had decided to call it a 2004 release (our USA copies on Kimchee Records were so labelled but the album was released in the middle of 2003 on Glitterhouse in Europe), I figured that would be a good choice so I cut about 45 seconds off the end of "The Trials of Harrison Hayes" and re-faded it and put it at the end of the comp with a little extra silence, hoping not to detract much from the real finale of "23rd Chromosome". I know, you're probably thinking to yourself about now, "Jeez Dave, all I wanted to know is who sings the damn song!", and I was just about to get to that part ;)

Robert Fisher is the vocalist and leader of the WGC collective. Jess Klein handles background vox on that one and some of the others on the CD, while Kristin Hersh sings with him on another song. Fantastic album and close to my favorite of the year. I've used songs from past albums on two or three comps before but maybe nothing you've heard. tentoze used a couple great songs from this latest one on two of his recent comps as well. Highly recommended. Check out the gushing Uncut review I posted in another thread which led to them to name it album of the month and top 5 of the year for 2003.

Of course, if you're just asking because you think it sucks and wanted to make sure you didn't waste any money on one of their CDs, then sorry for the long-winded reply and nevermind ;)

allears
07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Hey allears, thanks for the "half fast" review! Cute little bit of wordplay :)

The bonus track is by Willard Grant Conspiracy from their latest <i>Regard The End</i> which tentoze and I have been street teaming around here recently (just search for comments if interested). You can see the title if you stick it in the computer and play it with EAC or HACP or Roxio or anything that reads CD-TEXT. As I said in my original post on the comp, I was only gonna send out 5 so went ahead and burned them up and printed the cover, but then a few others wanted a copy so I went ahead and burned some more. But since there was almost 3 minutes space left on the comp I figured I would add a bonus track to those new ones just for fun. And since I'd been playing the crap out of the WGC album at the time and we (me and tentoze) had decided to call it a 2004 release (our USA copies on Kimchee Records were so labelled but the album was released in the middle of 2003 on Glitterhouse in Europe), I figured that would be a good choice so I cut about 45 seconds off the end of "The Trials of Harrison Hayes" and re-faded it and put it at the end of the comp with a little extra silence, hoping not to detract much from the real finale of "23rd Chromosome". I know, you're probably thinking to yourself about now, "Jeez Dave, all I wanted to know is who sings the damn song!", and I was just about to get to that part ;)

Robert Fisher is the vocalist and leader of the WGC collective. Jess Klein handles background vox on that one and some of the others on the CD, while Kristin Hersh sings with him on another song. Fantastic album and close to my favorite of the year. I've used songs from past albums on two or three comps before but maybe nothing you've heard. tentoze used a couple great songs from this latest one on two of his recent comps as well. Highly recommended. Check out the gushing Uncut review I posted in another thread which led to them to name it album of the month and top 5 of the year for 2003.

Of course, if you're just asking because you think it sucks and wanted to make sure you didn't waste any money on one of their CDs, then sorry for the long-winded reply and nevermind ;)

I liked it, thanks
Steve