Harman Kardon Reciever to drive Martin Logan speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Harman Kardon Reciever to drive Martin Logan speakers?

john2226us
07-17-2004, 03:03 PM
I know there are better recievers to drive speakers of this price and quality. However my brother has a set of Martin Logan speakers. Im not sure of the model though.
He is upgrading and changing some components. He will give them to me and I can pay him as I go. Now I have a Harman Kardon AVR30 revciever, HK 5 CD player. I also have AudioQuest Type 3 cables. Will this be okay to drive these speakers? I will take them no matter what. LOL! Thanks for any help here.

Geoffcin
07-17-2004, 05:34 PM
I know there are better recievers to drive speakers of this price and quality. However my brother has a set of Martin Logan speakers. Im not sure of the model though.
He is upgrading and changing some components. He will give them to me and I can pay him as I go. Now I have a Harman Kardon AVR30 revciever, HK 5 CD player. I also have AudioQuest Type 3 cables. Will this be okay to drive these speakers? I will take them no matter what. LOL! Thanks for any help here.

To drive, even with dedicated amps. You've got to give me the model # and I could give you better advise. I can tell you that HK makes a damn good receiver, and even if it does overload your likely NOT to damage it.

john2226us
07-17-2004, 06:48 PM
They are Martin Logan Aerius i. Thats the model of them. Thanks for any help again.

topspeed
07-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Yikes! 4ohm nominal with (hold on to your protection circuitry) a minimum of 1.7 at 20hz. That is about as unfriendly as they come John and I'd be looking for a two channel amp really soon. Hope your HK has pre-outs.

BTW, I'd seriously consider removing receivers from any future upgrade plans. With an impedence curve like the ML's, you're going to need separates to really come to grips with their abilities.

Good luck and enjoy your new toys.

Geoffcin
07-18-2004, 06:17 AM
They are Martin Logan Aerius i. Thats the model of them. Thanks for any help again.

You need an amp that's stable into 2 ohms. That's a pretty small group, but I did own one that I can reccomend. It's the PS Audio 200c. You can get one used for about $500. It's stable into 1.5ohms, and can deliver a KW of power at that resistance. Try looking for one on Audiogon.com.

NickWH
07-18-2004, 06:25 AM
You could easily power those speakers with a NAD C370 or C372 (updated version) integrated. It was measured at 1139 watts output into a 1 ohm load:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1421

At around $700, I think this would be your least expensive option for powering those speakers. And none too shabby, either.