Entry level speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Entry level speakers

cadolfan
12-03-2003, 10:14 PM
I'm building an entry level home theatre system(hts). I want to spend no more than $500 on speakers to start. First off I have a Harmon Kardon AVR325. From what I've read it's better to build a hts with individual components than to buy a hts in a box. Is that true for speakers. I've seen speaker packaged sets but I'm not sure about them. Should I start by buying a couple of tower speakers then purchase a center speaker and then a subwoofer. I heard some Cambridge Tower speakers with the subwoofer built. They sounded good but I don't remember the cost.

C Bennett
12-04-2003, 06:02 AM
If your going truly budget I think Cambridge is good. I asked the same thing you did a while back. I just kept what I have and will get new later as my old Polk S4's still(to me) sound great. I also kept seeing the Fluance HT systems on Ebay. They sell intenet only. They seemed so cheap that I was think it had to be a mistake, or that they were truly bad.I researched them a bit and even did a search here. They have 2 HT systems and on this site both got a 4.75 out of 5 with 18 and 8 reviews respectively. Its a whole system you get all the speakers(i dont know if you get a sub but for the Fluance's price get a better seperate one).left and right towers,center,surrounds. they range from #200-400 for the system and sometimes you can find it even cheaper on Ebay. The only reason I did not get this set was I have no room for towers other than that from what the guys here(and elsewhere on the internet)said id have them for my system now. Check them out on Ebay and check the reviews here and else where. I think you will have a system as nice as the Cambridge for a cheaper price. Just buy a speprate sub mabey a Cambridge Basscube 12(around $200),Paradigm PDR10($229),Velodyne VX-10($167),Atlantic Technology T70($189 this is what i have in my 20X12 living room and it rocks for the price and was originaly $425) I dont know if either of Fluances HT systems have a Sub but get as good a one as you can. Heck with the speakers being so cheap get a SVS or something to make it a great system. I don't think at the price point and from the reviews you can go wrong for inexpensive HT. If your stuck on Cambridge(i was till i saw the Fluance reviews too)for price/quality/sound check them out on HiFi.com on ebay its their factory "liquidation/outlet" store and has stuff much cheaper than street price too this is where id get that Basscube 12S for around $200.

cadolfan
12-04-2003, 08:00 AM
benett, thanks.
i saw a whole bunch of Fluance on ebay. I was skepticle becuuse there were so many that I thought the quality must not be that good. i'll do some more research.