Your favorite and not so favorites covers...SRV's 'Little Wing' [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite and not so favorites covers...SRV's 'Little Wing'

3-LockBox
07-16-2004, 01:13 PM
I was reading the post about <b>Rush</b>'s new covers EP, and it got me thinking...

Name a song, and a couple of covers, both good and not so good. Here's one:

<b>Jimi Hendrix's</b> <u>Little Wing</u>; <i>Stevie Ray Vaughn</i> did a faithful and stirring instrumental vesrion that's still the best IMO---<i>Sting</i> did an interesting jazz take on the song if you can live through the somewhat weepy tenor sax solo (swaps places with a tepid guitar solo)---<i>Derek And The Dominos</i> did a rather bland and uninspired version of this song, and it turns out to be the most disappointing one given the talent on hand.

DarrenH
07-16-2004, 03:29 PM
U2 covered All Along The Watchtower on Rattle And Hum that totally sucked from my point of view.

Grand Funk Railroad covered Gimme Shelter on the Caught In The Act live release that completely sucked as well.

Rush's cover of Mr. Soul was a bit disappointing. They slowed the tempo down to much. Lost the feel of the song.

I actually liked Derek and the Dominoes version of Little Wing but I suppose I will be in the minority.

Rush's cover of Heart Full Of Soul was damn good. In fact, not a bad EP really except for Mr. Soul.

John McLaughlin/Carlos Santana covering John Coltrane's Naima. From the album Love, Devotion Surrender. A completely different yet excellent version of this jazz tune.

Warren Haynes and Gov't Mule is well documented for covering tunes. I've got 4 CDR's full of live material featuring Gov't Mule covering famous tunes.

Little Wing, Dazed And Confused, 21st Century Schizoid Man, Cortez The Killer, Mississippi Queen w/Leslie West, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, Statesboro Blues, Smokestack Lightnin', Almost Cut My Hair.....and so on.

For diehard fans only I guess. Still, Warren is phenomenal.

Godhead did a cover of Eleanor Rigby that I thought was very interesting. Not just interesting as this tune really rawked. It's on their 2000 Years Of Human Error release.

Darren

Worf101
07-16-2004, 07:51 PM
They can be a real two edged sword.

Some of my faves:

"With a little help from my friends" - Joe Cocker, I love his version

"America the Beautiful" - Ray Charles, no one else should ever sing this song.

"How do you mend a broken heart?" - Al Green, he turned a silly semi-ballad into pure soul magic.

"All along the Watchtower" - Jimi, nuff said.

"Sexual Healing" - Ben Harper, Wow he did it right and sweet.

"Proud Mary" - Tina Turner, man I'd kill for dem legs.

"Walk on by": - Issac Hayes, almost bears no resemblence to the original it's amazing.

"Me and Bobby McGee" Janis Joplin, Jezze did she kill that song.

"Try a little tenderness" - Otis Redding, this version just slays.

I could go on and on, but I won't

Some that bite!!!!!

"I shot the sheriff" - Eric Clapton, after his anti-imigrant comments this version was sooo lame.

Linda Rondstat's entire Soul catalog.!!!! - If I hear that woman butcher one more soul classic I think I'll hang myself.

"Stoney End" - Barbara S, listen to Laura Nyro's version, less drama more emotion.

"I'm Every Woman" - Whitney (where da crack at?) Huston, give me Chaka Khan any day.

That's all from this Front.

Da Worfster

tentoze
07-16-2004, 08:01 PM
They can be a real two edged sword.

Some of my faves:

"With a little help from my friends" - Joe Cocker, I love his version

"America the Beautiful" - Ray Charles, no one else should ever sing this song.

"How do you mend a broken heart?" - Al Green, he turned a silly semi-ballad into pure soul magic.

"All along the Watchtower" - Jimi, nuff said.

"Sexual Healing" - Ben Harper, Wow he did it right and sweet.

"Proud Mary" - Tina Turner, man I'd kill for dem legs.

"Walk on by": - Issac Hayes, almost bears no resemblence to the original it's amazing.

"Me and Bobby McGee" Janis Joplin, Jezze did she kill that song.

"Try a little tenderness" - Otis Redding, this version just slays.

I could go on and on, but I won't

Some that bite!!!!!

"I shot the sheriff" - Eric Clapton, after his anti-imigrant comments this version was sooo lame.

Linda Rondstat's entire Soul catalog.!!!! - If I hear that woman butcher one more soul classic I think I'll hang myself.

"Stoney End" - Barbara S, listen to Laura Nyro's version, less drama more emotion.

"I'm Every Woman" - Whitney (where da crack at?) Huston, give me Chaka Khan any day.

That's all from this Front.

Da WorfsterWorf,

I've never heard Ben Harper's version of that tune, a MAJOR favorite- guess I should go looking again in the morning, huh? Agreed on All Along The Watchtower, which was the 1st one to come mind when I read this thread. I don't have my Otis discs here to check, but I thought Try A Little ws his song. Yr biters are ALL on target with me...........

N. Abstentia
07-17-2004, 04:03 AM
I've thought Jimi did a good Watchtower...until I heard Dave Matthews Band do it. If that don't give you chills you don't have a pulse.

Faith No More's War Pigs = Brilliant. Stunning.

Primus's Have a Cigar = Earth Shattering.

King's X's Manic Depression = Consider me floored!

Worf101
07-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Worf,

I've never heard Ben Harper's version of that tune, a MAJOR favorite- guess I should go looking again in the morning, huh? Agreed on All Along The Watchtower, which was the 1st one to come mind when I read this thread. I don't have my Otis discs here to check, but I thought Try A Little ws his song. Yr biters are ALL on target with me...........

As for the Ben Harper version, It's a "live" cut and it's all over Kazaa if you do that kinda thang. :o

"Try a little tenderness" is definately a cover. The original is a very schmaltzy kinda Vegas ballad thang.

Yeah, when they bite... the bite.

Da Worfster :cool:

mad rhetorik
07-17-2004, 10:40 AM
I've thought Jimi did a good Watchtower...until I heard Dave Matthews Band do it. If that don't give you chills you don't have a pulse.

Uh..are those "chills" of jaw-dropped amazement over how good it is, or "chills" of abject horror after hearing a badly botched Dylan cover?

(Take the comments of this confirmed DMB/Guster/John Mayer/Ben Folds hater with a grain of salt). ; P

Faith No More's War Pigs = Brilliant. Stunning.

Agreed. They nailed the sound of the original, right down to Iommi's guitar trills between the verses. I'd nominate it among the best 'Sabbath covers I've heard. Also I think System Of A Down did a cover of "Snowblind" that's pretty ace.

Other notable covers include "California Sun" and "Surfin' Bird" by the Ramones; "Brand New Cadillac" by The Clash; "1970 (I Feel Alright)" by The Damned; "Velouria," covered by Weezer; "Got The Time," covered by Anthrax; "Come To Daddy" by Dillinger Escape Plan w/ Mike Patton; a thrash-metal take of The Godfather Theme done by Fantomas; "Cecilia Ann" by The Pixies; "Plateau" and "Lake Of Fire" by Nirvana; "Summertime Blues" by The Who; "Killing Floor/The Lemon Song" by Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, respectively; "Superstition" by SRV....

Johnny Cash, as far as I'm concerned, was the most successful artist ever at covering the music of other artists. "One," "The Mercy Seat," "Hurt," "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," "Streets Of Laredo," "Personal Jesus," "Hung My Head"--he could put his stamp on any song and make it sound better or at least as good as the original. However, I've only heard one band cover a Cash song, and that was Social Distortion with their excellent take on "Ring Of Fire." Personally I'd like to see somebody give "The Man In Black," "Folsom Prison Blues," or "25 Minutes To Go" a crack.

KRiTiKaL
07-17-2004, 11:04 AM
speaking of great metal covers. White Zombies "children of the grave" is exactly what ozzy intended. Also Panteras cover of Ted Nugents cat scratch fever, Slayers cover of Iron Butterflys In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Anthrax live cover of Sabbath bloody Sabbath, stevie ray vaughn doing voodoo chile. Theres actually alot alot.

Chip_B
07-17-2004, 08:49 PM
I was reading the post about Rush's new covers EP, and it got me thinking...

Name a song, and a couple of covers, both good and not so good. Here's one:

Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing; Stevie Ray Vaughn did a faithful and stirring instrumental vesrion that's still the best IMO---Sting did an interesting jazz take on the song if you can live through the somewhat weepy tenor sax solo (swaps places with a tepid guitar solo)---Derek And The Dominos did a rather bland and uninspired version of this song, and it turns out to be the most disappointing one given the talent on hand.
On the plus side:

The Cure - 'Purple Haze'. Completely reworked and brilliant.

Hendrix - 'Hey Joe'. Absolutely, positively my favorite cover. Honorable Mention to 'All Along the Watchtower'. My 13-year old son, who has recently discovered Jimi's music, has 'Smash Hits' in his portable player constantly. 'Hey Joe' is his favorite tune.

Danny Gatton - 'In My Room'. Redone as an elegant, understated instrumental; Gatton really nails it. I can't believe the guy killed himself...such a terrible waste.

The Pretenders - 'Room Full of Mirrors'. Great guitar work from Robby McIntosh and spot-on vocals from Chrissy.

Joan Osborne - 'Man in the Long Black Coat'. Atmospheric and kinda mournful.

Chris Isaak - 'Heart Full of Soul'. This was the first tune I ever heard by Isaak and I bought the LP the same day.

Bonnie Raitt - 'Angel From Montgomery'. What a fine, sweet song. Bonnie interprets it beautifully.

Elvis - 'That's All Right'. You've all heard it and either like it or don't, but as covers go, it's truly great.

Nanci Griffith (and the Cricketts) - 'Well All Right'. Great version of a great Buddy Holly tune.

On the minus side:

Blind Faith - 'Well All Right'. A not-so-great version of a great Buddy Holly tune.

April Wine - '21st Century Schizoid Man'. Clanks like an anchor hitting concrete.

Marshall Crenshaw - 'Live it Up'. I like Marshall's music a lot, but a funkmeister he ain't.