Component video / S-video [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Component video / S-video

Griffon42
07-16-2004, 07:20 AM
hi all-
I'm relatively new to the AV game and I've seen a few posts lately regarding S-video vs Component video connections. Advice has gone both ways for a number of different setups, which is leaving me rather confused. Could someone help me out with my particular system:
27" Sony Wega TV (NOT HDTV-ready or anything - but DOES have component inputs)
Prog. Scan DVD player with S-video and component outputs (this was a gift - i believe i cannot use the progressive scan function with my TV, correct?)

Is there ANY reason I should blow the extra cash on component video cables instead of just using quality S-video connections? Many people seem to think I won't see a difference with this size TV.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

N. Abstentia
07-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Always use the best connection you have available...in your case, component. It should look quite a bit better than S-video.

sy_lu
07-16-2004, 09:26 AM
For less than $10 on component cable (Target, Wal-Mart etc), I would say it worth a try. If Sony has done it right you should be able to see the diffeence even on a 27in TV. Besides, when it is time to upgrade to HDTV, your cable is still usable. Not much to loose.