Denon DVD-900 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon DVD-900

TheAmazingJosh
12-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Ever since changing discs on LOTR Two Towers extended edition I've been plagued with a stalled out player. Basically if I eject a disc without first pressing the stop button, the next DVD I insert (or any CD for that matter) cannot be identified by the player. It's highly annoying, and it's something that did not happen in the past. If I have to train my thumb to remember to hit the stop button before I switch a disc out than I guess I'll just have to do that, but for a $300 player just a month out of warranty I don't think I'll be buying another Denon DVD player. Anyone else experienced something similar?

TinHere
12-03-2003, 09:13 PM
I don't know how to resolve the problem, but I would check with Denon or where you bought it and see if they can help since it just went out of warranty. Denon might like some positive ink on the forum about customer support. Tell them you've been reading negative reports and would like to have something good to say since you enjoyed their product until it started to have a problem. That's true yes? Couldn't hurt to try. Did you use a credit card that might have extended the warranty? Good luck.

psonic
12-03-2003, 11:17 PM
it is a very good player for the money, except the occasional subtitle popping up! you ever get this too? let us know what denon says, maybe theres a solution...

TheAmazingJosh
12-03-2003, 11:27 PM
it is a very good player for the money, except the occasional subtitle popping up! you ever get this too? let us know what denon says, maybe theres a solution...

I get that usually once every time I play a movie. I e-mailed Denon today. We'll see what they say. The Samsung DVDHD931 is looking pretty good to me right now. It might just be one of those to chalk up as a learning experience and move on.

Woochifer
12-04-2003, 04:39 PM
I get some of the same kinds of random glitches with my DVD-1000. The remedy on my unit is to periodically turn off the master switch, rather than leaving the unit on standby. This resets the unit to the default and whatever you specified in the setup.

Keep in mind that Denon's entry level DVD players are basically modified Panasonic units that are made by Panasonic (or their outsource manufacturer). Pannys are well regarded entry level players, but I believe that Denon specifies different output circuits and modifies the firmware (which has been a problem with a lot of their early production DVD players). I've not been too impressed with the build quality of my Denon and my particular model has had bugs in the firmware in earlier units, but the picture and audio quality are excellent.

TheAmazingJosh
12-04-2003, 06:22 PM
I get some of the same kinds of random glitches with my DVD-1000. The remedy on my unit is to periodically turn off the master switch, rather than leaving the unit on standby. This resets the unit to the default and whatever you specified in the setup.

Keep in mind that Denon's entry level DVD players are basically modified Panasonic units that are made by Panasonic (or their outsource manufacturer). Pannys are well regarded entry level players, but I believe that Denon specifies different output circuits and modifies the firmware (which has been a problem with a lot of their early production DVD players). I've not been too impressed with the build quality of my Denon and my particular model has had bugs in the firmware in earlier units, but the picture and audio quality are excellent.

By master switch I assume you are referring to the switch on the face plate rather than the switch on the remote. My unit still has a lit standby button regardless of which on/off switch I use. Is there another trick to this?

poneal
12-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Try unplugging the unit, then pluggin it back in. See if that works.

TheAmazingJosh
12-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Try unplugging the unit, then pluggin it back in. See if that works.

Already tried that. Now it's not recognizing any discs.

Tarheel_
12-05-2003, 11:36 AM
this is too funny, my DVD-1000 model also resets the options to factory defaults. This occurs when a power surge goes through our house (another story) or the player is shut down. I too put up with its strange tendencies for the audio/video perfromance which is awesome.

Luvin Da Blues
04-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Just have to weigh in here and say that I have never had any of these or any other problem with my DVD-1000. I'll keep my fingers crossed tho.

Cheers

Luvin Da Blues
04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
How stupid do I feel now...I was looking at past threads and forgot that this one was so old.

DUH