There were/are many kings... but only ONE Prince!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : There were/are many kings... but only ONE Prince!!!

Worf101
07-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Wow what a show last night in the Garden. Last time I'd been there Earth Wind and Fire were doing a twinbill with War ... so we're talkgin 1973, place looks good for being so old. I was in the front row of the Blues, not bad seating.. diagonal to one of the big screens.

We to there right at the time on the 7:30 and I could hear music "unh ohh..." but when I got in I recognized the tune as "Oak Tree" and sure enough there was Morris Day and the Time in full suits working it like lunch. As Jerome said during the set "didn't expect to see us didja?" No I didn't but it was a pleasent surprise. They play well and were very well recieved doing Jungle love as their encore. But we all know we were waiting for the main event.

The stage was an X on the Garden floor with circles in the each corner of the square. In these circles were lounge furniture and couces and sech. Keyboards held down two of these areas, Bass and Drums the other two. The band took the stage and Prince rose from an elevator right at the nexus of the X. I opened with "Musicology" the title track from his current album and it was right and tight from the Jump. Better than expected sound and great camera work.

From this great opener he did a medley of songs form Purple Rain including "I Would Die For You!" "Let's Go Crazy" and others. He wasted no time in letting the audience know that his band included legendary Tenor and Alto Sax man Maceo Parker of James Brown and P-Funk fame. He also introduced Candy Dulfer the baddest female saxophonist I've ever seen and she could sing too. As you'd expect Prince's band was able to stop on a dime and all the musicians could play, sing backup, dance and look good while doing it.

Prince also did songs from his girl bands as well making sure they were represented. Chief among these was a Sheila E's "A Love Bizzare" which they band covered well. Then we were all floored when Ms. E shoed up to do "The Glamorous Life" in person, wailing on the timbales. She ended to thunderous applause that lasted what seemed forever.

Prince then left the stage while Maceo and the keyboardist from his original band (the guy that used to dress like a doctor) did a version of "What a Wonderful World" that was a tad dated. After that Prince took to the stage solo with acoustic guitar. Slammed solo versions of "Little Red Corvette", and other rockers displaying a virtuosity on guitar that shamed most "MTV cretins" as he put it. After some 5 songs solo, the rest of the band rejoined him and they played out the night ending with thunderous versions of "Nothing Compares to You" and "Purple Rain".

Hightlights: Maceo and Prince doing "Pass the Peas" in MSG. Prince doing a version of "Jailhouse Rock" on solo guitar which he cut short by saying "you gotta be Prince before you claim to be the King". A gentle jab at Elvis that had us howling. Getting women of all sizes, shapes and races on the stage to dance. A funk version of "Hot Pants" that killed. And getting a totally free Musicology CD on entrance to the show.

Lowlights: Nothing save maybe the "Wonderful World" tune.

Prince was in total control and took us whever ever he wanted to go. See him before he become a recluse again.

Da Worfster :D

Worf101
07-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks fot MindgoneHaywire for the kind invite to "Hangout" after/before the show. Unfortunately the crew I was with were a little too scared of NY City to part with me for even a couple of hours... But I had to say "Thanks" though.

Da Worfster ;)

ForeverAutumn
07-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Thanks fot MindgoneHaywire for the kind invite to "Hangout" after/before the show. Unfortunately the crew I was with were a little too scared of NY City to part with me for even a couple of hours... But I had to say "Thanks" though.

Da Worfster ;)

Sounds like an awesome night Worf. I know that you were very excited over this show and I'm happy to see that you weren't disappointed. :)

nobody
07-15-2004, 09:22 AM
I'd love to see this tour. I've heard nothing but great reports from any of the stops. Unfortunately, I was really tied up when he came my way, so I missed him this time around. Probably one of the few, if not the only, tour I would actually consider putting up some bucks to see.

I'm digging the new CD. Looks like Prince is back at last...even if only for a while. Who knows what he'll be up to next?