New Amp (parasound) or New CD player (Arcam)? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Amp (parasound) or New CD player (Arcam)?

musicguy04
07-14-2004, 10:08 PM
My current system is the following:

Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver
Polk LS f/x front speakers
Polk PSW650 subwoofer
Toshiba SD-5700 CD/DVD Player

I'm getting a very nice gift of new speakers and an amp to power then when I graduate college in December. I haven't decided on speakers yet, but I do like the B&W 804s.

I really like the sound of the Parasound Halo A23 amp, but I heard someone had hum problems with it, so I talked to my dealer who told me this shouldn't be a problem, but if it was I could always return it for another unit or for a refund.

I have about $800 or less to put towards an upgrade right now. I guess I really don't have a "true" home theater yet, but I use my system about 70% music, 30% movies.

I was wondering what would make the single most important improvement in my system for around $800 or less keeping in mind my future upgrades. I'm happy with my DVD player for movies, but I don't think it's all that great with music. I'm thinking about getting a dedicated CD player. My dealer recommended an Arcam CD73T. Has anyone heard of this player and what do people think of it? Since I don't need a new DVD player, I'm thinking that a dedicated CD might be the way to go. I'm not interested in SACD since I like to be able to play my music anywhere I go! :-)

In your opinions, given my current system, do you think my system would improve more by adding a decent amp (like the A23) now and get a CD player later or would my system improve more with a CD player now and the amp later, when I get the speakers?

I'm new to this, but I'm just wondering which you think will cause the most immediate improvement.

mtrycraft
07-15-2004, 10:53 AM

Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver
Polk PSW650 subwoofer

I'm getting a very nice gift of new speakers and an amp to power then when I graduate college in December. I haven't decided on speakers yet, but I do like the B&W 804s.

I really like the sound of the Parasound Halo A23 amp, but I heard someone had hum problems with it, so I talked to my dealer who told me this shouldn't be a problem, but if it was I could always return it for another unit or for a refund.

I have about $800 or less to put towards an upgrade right now. I guess I really don't have a "true" home theater yet, but I use my system about 70% music, 30% movies.

I was wondering what would make the single most important improvement in my system for around $800 or less keeping in mind my future upgrades. I'm happy with my DVD player for movies, but I don't think it's all that great with music. I'm thinking about getting a dedicated CD player. My dealer recommended an Arcam CD73T. Has anyone heard of this player and what do people think of it? Since I don't need a new DVD player, I'm thinking that a dedicated CD might be the way to go. I'm not interested in SACD since I like to be able to play my music anywhere I go! :-)

In your opinions, given my current system, do you think my system would improve more by adding a decent amp (like the A23) now and get a CD player later or would my system improve more with a CD player now and the amp later, when I get the speakers?

I'm new to this, but I'm just wondering which you think will cause the most immediate improvement.

Nothing wrong with your DVD player playing music. I seriously doubt there is an audible difference when bias is not influencing perceptions.

Speakers, room acoustics and recording quality are the most important part of your audio system. Part of this is an amp capable of driving the speaker load but that is not a real issue unless you have a very difficult and low impedance speaker.

So, you should carefully compare speakers in your space, if that sound is different enough for you to spend $$$. After that, you should be fine with what you have.

musicguy04
07-15-2004, 07:11 PM
I'd like to know what you all think on this issue. Mrty, thanks for your reply, but I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

Garrardman
07-16-2004, 12:48 AM
If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the Arcam without hesitation!!
There are very few DVD players under a 5 figure price tag that sound as good as a dedicated CD player for 2 channel music. The Arcam is a superb player and you will notice a huge difference in CD sound quality over your DVD player when using it.
Happy listening!!
Adam.

kexodusc
07-16-2004, 03:47 AM
I bought an Arcam CD72T used a while back after I loaned my 5 year old $270 Yamaha CD player to my parents. In all honesty I can't say I heard any difference worth preaching about. When I got the Yammie back, I did a few head to heads with George Winston's "Autumn" and Sarah Brightman's "Time to Say Goodbye" (the only 2 cd's the woman and I both had when she moved in).
I think the Arcam sounded a bit better, but I'll leave this open to the possibility I imagined it, because the Arcam certainly didn't sound 3 times better despite its retail price being 3 times as much.
That said, features and build quality do make it an obviously better CD player, but I don't think I'd buy it brand new. For the price difference there are far better resource allocation decisions to be made. I haven't even bothered testing it head to head against my DVD player, maybe I'll try that this evening.

On the flip side, for 2-channel audio, I do like my Rotel RA-1070 integrated amp a heckuva lot better than my RX-V1400. The sound difference is quite noticeable. I'm not sure if this is a result of the quality of the amplifiers or the difference in the pre-amp sections of the two units or what.

I'd agree with mtrycraft though, your speakers and room acoustics will probably have more impact on overall sound quality than your choice of CD player. Invest wisely.

sy_lu
07-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Save the money and get the B&W 804 sooner. It will make far more improvement than either the CD or amp.

musicguy04
07-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks for your advice. I guess I'm a little confused. I can't get the B&W 804 any sooner, as I'm not paying for them. They're a graduation gift. I wish I could graduate sooner, that'd be nice :-)

So I heard someone say that the Arcam CD player was alot better and another mention the amp was a lot better. I did a little research on the Arcams and found out that the CD73 uses better DAC's the the 72, but I haven't heard either, so I don't have an opinion.

I really like the parasound amp, but I'm not sure if that'll make as much difference with my current speakers and I might be better off waiting until iI get the new ones.

I do agree with mrtycrafts that speakers and recording quality are the most important in the system. Although I have limited experience, I feel that amps and sources components, such as CD players, make a significatn difference, although not as much as the speakers. I don't really buy into all the cable hype, just as long as its thick and shielded.

Anyway, I've read that it's best to get the best sound by hooking up CD players to the receivers discrete input, so that's how I'm running mine. I'll agree that there is definitely a difference in quality among CD players. My Toshiba DVD player sounds a lot better than my previous el cheapo CD with 1-bit DAC.

I have a friend who uses a Denon DVD-2200 with a Denon 3805 receiver and Paradigm studio speakers and his system puts mine to shame! :-(

So again, I can't get the speakers any sooner. I'm planning to get both the amp and the new CD player eventually, the question was which would make the most audible difference now.

Steve1000
07-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Well, since you asked for everyone's opinion I'll give you mine. I don't feel that amps and source components, such as CD players, make a significant difference. In most cases, they make no difference at all. Many experienced people disagree, but that's my view. You picked a nice forum to ask at, because there are actually people here who know what they are talking about. An amp could make a difference under very demanding circumstances. DVD players often have top-notch audio output.

sy_lu
07-16-2004, 11:46 AM
I highly doubt it your current speaker will benefit much from either a new CD player or amp. Speaker is the one makes most of the differences. The Paradigm is a far better speaker than your Polk. Try to get your friend to loan you his speakers just to try in your system and you will hear the difference. As side note, don't rule out SACD either. Most of them except those pressed by Sony are CD compatible. To me, this is the min. investment for the most of the bang. If you really really don't want the SACD and can not wait for your "gift" , how about getting some decent speakers now and when you get your B&W 804, you can use one or the other as surround.

mtrycraft
07-16-2004, 10:47 PM
I'd like to know what you all think on this issue. Mrty, thanks for your reply, but I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

Of course. I didn't lock up the thread, right? :)

DMK
07-17-2004, 12:22 PM

Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver
Polk PSW650 subwoofer

...ask youself this question: "What fault of my current system am I trying to improve?"

Too many people assume a more expensive component will automatically make their system sound better. Often, it doesn't or it even makes things worse. My advice is to wait until you have your speakers in place and then assess the sound you're getting. Then and only then should you even consider changing anything. If this scenario helps, use it: What if you buy a more expensive amp and it makes your new speakers sound bad?

Keep your money in your pocket for now. Quite honestly, the approach you're considering is like buying a diamond ring for the girlfriend you don't even have yet. Match your system to your speakers the same as you'd match a ring for a lady - not the other way around. Just my two cents.

07-17-2004, 07:35 PM
...ask youself this question: "What fault of my current system am I trying to improve?"

Too many people assume a more expensive component will automatically make their system sound better. Often, it doesn't or it even makes things worse. My advice is to wait until you have your speakers in place and then assess the sound you're getting. Then and only then should you even consider changing anything. If this scenario helps, use it: What if you buy a more expensive amp and it makes your new speakers sound bad?

Keep your money in your pocket for now. Quite honestly, the approach you're considering is like buying a diamond ring for the girlfriend you don't even have yet. Match your system to your speakers the same as you'd match a ring for a lady - not the other way around. Just my two cents.

Buy xirconia and tell her it's diamond. She'll never know the difference! (keep it small though so she doesnt get suspect anything) Then if you are still with her a few years down the road and she finds out, tell her you got ripped off and get pissed off. Then with the extra money you would have used to buy the ring...invest it! ^_^!