speaker match help please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker match help please

pwh03
07-14-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm looking for a center channel to match my b&w 602's I looked at the center channels offered by B&W that are designed to match my speakers but they haven't got the greatest reviews (not bad just not great) and their a bit pricey all things considered, I did test them out today and they were nice but I think I could get the same sound for less from someone else. I was looking for suggestions on other center channels that might work well with these speakers, and/or any center channel you would recomend. I would like to spend around 200 dollars but I am flexible in that area. I have no problem buying from audigon or ebay so you can include used in that price range.

thanks for any advice you can give me.

PH

musicguy04
07-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Be very careful when buying from ebay or audiogon. Although I'm not very familiar with audiogon, I think for the most part the people are more reputable, but there is a lot less security there.

What series of B&W speakers do you have? Although I don't use a center speaker, personally I think it's best to match the front three speakers, and I'm eventually planning to get a matching center for my system, someday.

topspeed
07-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Get the matching center channel from the 600 series. It's very important to timbre match your front stage, especially if you decide to eventually go into multi-channel hi rez. Even with HT, if you don't have a matching center channel, any scenes where they pan the audio across the front will seem disjointed if the speakers don't match. Have you ever considered getting another 602 and using it as a center? Just a thought...

RGA
07-14-2004, 10:35 PM
You want the LCR 600 version - it is more expensive but is much better - the new S3 range is vastly superior to prior 600 series speakers - though the 602S2 was very good.

Hi-Fi choice reviewed them against a lot of competing brands - http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.reviews/ObjectID/C20B133B-E1AB-4588-939B97EA7C468008

Go and listen to them for yourself and find out if they're good enough for YOU. Reviews really - are only useful if you agree with them. Now how often do I agree with Roger Ebert?

pwh03
07-15-2004, 05:19 AM
I have the 602 s2 and I did try both 600 series b&w center channels they sounded nice I just wasn't blown away and wanted to see what everyone else had to say. would you still recomend the LCR 600 over the 60 even though I have though S2's and not the new S3

would I be better off going with the CC6s2 ?

it would probably run off a yamaha or a denon receiver, and I currently am using an hsu vtf-2 for a sub

thanks

PH

RGA
07-15-2004, 12:21 PM
I can't say how it would work of those receivers as I heard it with all Rotel separates - and Arcam separates. I can't remember the CC6. I was less impressed with the Denon 3803 running things.

The dealer I had recommended the 600 over the 60 the 60 was pretty good but I agree a bit overpriced for what you got. Have you tried this in your receiver's phantom mode? Often if you have your speakers positioned proplery and a good accurate amplifier the center image is seamlessly integrated - no handoff issues because there is no handoff. I have not been as impressed with my Marantz receiver as I am from my two channel Sugden for across the front sound - oddly.

If you want more impact or in your face sound then use the receivers toine controls or try a higher sensitive center from maybe Klipsch or something - but it won't integrate as well - so you would have to deside yourself which way is best.

Woochifer
07-15-2004, 03:15 PM
You really should go with whatever center speaker best matches the mains. In my auditions with the 600S2 series, the recommended CC6 model (which has been replaced by the LCR60) was a poor match for the 600 series. That model cost about $300 brand new. The S2 center speaker model above the CC6 used drivers that were actually used in the 600 series (the drivers in the CC6 were not used anywhere else inthe series), so that might be a better match. With a center speaker, it does not matter one iota how good it sounds by itself unless it sufficiently matches the main speakers. Forget about the reviews, do your own listening and see which center speaker gives you the most seamless front image and does not stand out from the others. I personally did not like the CC6, but the other center speakers might provide a better match.

If none of those center speakers can provide an adequate match (i.e. where it does not disrupt the front soundfield), then you're better off without the center speaker. Keep in mind that when evaluating a center speaker, you need to make sure that the levels are matched to the mains, and that you have the delay timing set correctly (if the cente speaker is along the same line as the mains, then it's actually closer to you than the mains, so you need to increase the delay timing by about 1 ms).

pwh03
07-16-2004, 05:37 AM
what do you guys think about using another 602 as the center. I doubt their shielded like topspeed said, and I would like to place the speaker on top of my tv, but if I had to I could put it elsewhere. How bad do you think it would affect the picture quality. My tv is nothing special just a normal 27 inch TV a 2-3 year old phillips any opinions on that?

Woochifer do you (or anyone else) know what the model was above the cc6, the you were saying might match my 602 s2's better?

thanks again

PH

pwh03
07-16-2004, 05:52 PM
bump!

RGA
07-16-2004, 09:06 PM
The best surround approach is the exact same speaker all the way around - after this it is a matter of choosing a center channel that is the best match.

Here is where I disagree with Woochifer. He says that it is better to match a lousy center channel with the front left and right speakers because matchig is of supreme importance. So if your main speakers were Yorx $19.99 specials he would rather you match another Yorx $19.99 special because they match. I would rather you spend $300.00 and get the best center channel you could.

Why would I suggest that. Firstly all dialog content is produced almost entirely from the center channel - when panning across the front a non matched system will have a hick-up and will not be seamless panning. But the choice is a great center channel with panning problems(and the degree is dependant on the products) but excellent dialog and center image content or three horrible speakers that while match sound bad at panning AND for dialog.

The 602S2 matches the 602S2. So three across the front is ideal - if they're shielded. I have found that unshuielded speakers can get fairly close to a TV - but not sitting on it. Ask B&W and make sure they're not shielded - they may be and they may be able to tell you how to do it. It's a cheap fix and involves some tin foil I believe.

There's not a lot people here can help you with - We don't have your system or your room - theoretcially you should go with the B&W center channel. If the center channel isn't up to your expectations then you have to try other center channels - but you would have to home audition them.

I'm in the same boat. My Wharfedale Vangaurds don't have a match because they're 14 years old. Audio Note doesn't make a center channel. Though the dealer uses 4 E's in the corners and 2 J's in the center with certain panelling. I digress - I, like you, would have to try several center channels or consider starting home theater from scratch with five exact speakers and a sub.

When building home theater you really need to hear the complete systems and find the one that is truly great - then buy THAT system. My budget can't get me what I would deem acceptable so I may just get a competant cheap DIY project or save the $20,000 (including video front projector) whcih I would deem as the absolute bare minimum to make me happy. And the latter is easily ten years away - maybe 20.

pwh03
07-16-2004, 10:30 PM
thanks for the adcive RGA and everyone else.

I think I will try and find anothe 602 s2 as I am very please with their preformance, and as you said that setup would be ideal

good luck with your adventure which ever decision you make

PH