Looking to buy new headphones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy new headphones

red hornet
07-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Hello,
I recently became interested in getting some high quality headphones for my PC to replace my junky gaming headset (altec lansing ahs-502, $20). I really know nothing about these things so i thought that you guys would know best. I want something for music, and am willing to spend $100-$200. I dont really have any more specifics than that! If you have any more questions for clarafication just ask.
Thanks a lot for your help

markw
07-14-2004, 03:33 PM
You can't really go wrong with either of these. I have both Sennheiser 580's (AudioAdvisor for >150) and a pair of Grado SR 80's (>90 anywhere) . Both are good. IMNSHO, the grado has a little (very little) edge on bass but the Senn's are overall much smoother, more comfortable and overall the better. But, for the price difference, they should be.

And, they are as common as air.

Of course, there are other fine ones out there as well. I'm sure otherswil be chiming in shortly.

red hornet
07-14-2004, 04:30 PM
the 580's seem to be very popular. A lot of people say that to take full advantage you should use an amp or connect to some hi-fi theater equipment, but im going to be plugging them right into my SB Audigy. If i go down to the 570 will i notice any decrease in quality?

Woochifer
07-14-2004, 04:48 PM
I've read many times that the higher end Senns benefit from a headphone amp, and that they're not at their best with portables. The Grado SR60 or SR80 are excellent alternatives for lower powered sources (and I would guess that a computer soundcard would qualify). The only difference between the 60 and the 80 is the bass response, and the SR60 is $20 cheaper. I use the 60 at home, and it's a nice headphone regardless or price, but an excellent bargain at $60. Their main drawback is their retro looks and somewhat awkward feel.

If you go with the Senns, definitely compare them. I bought a pair of the $90 HD500s a couple of years ago (I don't think Senn makes them anymore, but some websites still have them in stock), and those were horrible -- bottom heavy, bloated, distorted sounding, shockingly poor sound quality for a company as well regarded as Sennheiser. Did not remind me at all of those higher end models that I had listened to several years ago, so it just points out to me that they may not necessarily voice their lower tier headphones the same way as their higher end models.

Steve1000
07-14-2004, 04:53 PM
It's way way down from the HD580 to the HD570. In a word, don't (IMHO).

The HD580s are very nice headphones (I have them), but they are relatively hard to drive. They do have a little extra mid-bass and mildly attenuated, shelved off highs, but the midrange is as smooth as silk. I think a soundblaster audigy or a stereo receiver would drive them just fine, too. Portables can have a little trouble with them.

For something a little easier to drive and a little more upfront than the HD580s you could try the Grado SR60s (~$70) (I prefer the SR60s to the SR80s but it's personal taste), the Senn HD555s ($120-$150, a very new model fast developing a positive reputation), or the Sony MDR-CD780s ($70-$100). Those are all great values, great all-rounders, and really nice open (as opposed to closed and isolating) headphones, IMHO. These headphones would match well not only with the audigy but with any portable or other device you decide to use in the future.

Like speakers, headphones tend to sound very different from one another. With the computer, you've always got the option of fine tuning with digital EQ, which can really take a headphone and your enjoyment to the next level.

red hornet
07-14-2004, 06:55 PM
thanks so much for your help everyone,

i think im going to eliminate the grado's because of comfort, a major factor for me. Ill be wearing these for a few hours at a time.

The next factor is sound quality of the sennheiser models, the 555 and the 580. The price difference is not too significant, and then theres the sony MDR-CD780 which i havent heard anything about. They seem to be a notch or two down from the HD 580 in overall quality.

Steve1000
07-15-2004, 03:55 AM
Without EQ, I like the CD780s (upfront) better than the HD580s (shelved-off highs), but that's personal taste, and I'm certainly in the minority. The HD580s are pretty much legendary, but I find the sound just a little staid. With EQ, I prefer the HD580s, they respond really well, apparnetly no resonances, etc, and smooth mids to start with.

The HD555s should split the difference between the two... by reputation they are more upfront than the HD580s and less upfront than the CD780s, very comfortable, and easier to drive than the HD580s.

The HD595s are the next step up and top-of-the-line in the new HD5X5 series, and are supposed to be a worthwhile moderate improvement and excellent headphones.

Obviously, I haven't gotten my hands on the HD555s or HD595s yet. You can check out www.headphone.com for some frequency response graphs, descriptions, and prices. You can get better prices elsewhere but probably not better service. :cool: And take all the headphone amp and cable stuff with a serious grain of salt. ;)

Good luck!

thanks so much for your help everyone,

i think im going to eliminate the grado's because of comfort, a major factor for me. Ill be wearing these for a few hours at a time.

The next factor is sound quality of the sennheiser models, the 555 and the 580. The price difference is not too significant, and then theres the sony MDR-CD780 which i havent heard anything about. They seem to be a notch or two down from the HD 580 in overall quality.

brigrizzme
07-15-2004, 06:49 AM
I'm very happy with my Grado 60's and have never had a comfort issue.

red hornet
07-15-2004, 07:49 AM
I dont think im going to use an amp, so i am worried about not taking full advantage of the HD 580's. Are the 590's easier to drive? How do they compare to the 580's in comfort and quality? Thanks

Steve1000
07-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Headphone lore has it that the HD590s are very comfortable but a bit of a disappointment sonically. They are definitely easier to drive than the HD580s. But I'd definitely go HD555 or HD595 instead if I were in your shoes... I have not come across anyone who thought the HD590s are as good as those two.

I dont think im going to use an amp, so i am worried about not taking full advantage of the HD 580's. Are the 590's easier to drive? How do they compare to the 580's in comfort and quality? Thanks

red hornet
07-15-2004, 09:48 AM
This is such a tough decision!

Someone offered me a new HD-590 for $160, i think im gona do it, unless someone wants to talk me out of it. The only reason i like the 590 over the 580's is i wont have to worry about driving them with my sound card.

Please, tell me if im making no sense at all.

markw
07-15-2004, 10:28 AM
FWIW, I'm driving my phones from the headphone jacks of a Denon 2802 receiver and don't feel I'm missing anything. Some day, when funds are less limited, I intend to get hold of a headphone amp (which start around $80) to get all I can out of 'em.

But, for the time being, I don't feel slighted. Nor do I get the nagging feeling I'm missing anything 'cause they do what they do better than anything else I've heard and can afford. (Don't get me started on Stax!).

Unless your soundcard really sux, that's kinda like not buying a Merceces because you can't drive 120 mph.

Plus, if I remember, AudioAdvisor has a pretty liberal return policy...

red hornet
07-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Creative Labs told me that i will need some kind of amp to drive the 590's. Now im really discouraged, does anyone here have any of the Senns cans hooked up to a computer sound card?