Quick! Name your 10 favorite violinists! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Name your 10 favorite violinists!

Swish
07-13-2004, 11:03 AM
:D Let's see, there's that Itzhak Perlman fella and Yo Yo Ma. Wait a second, he plays the cello, doesn't he? I guess Itzhak is the only one I know. Just forget it. I guess we should stick to discussing our favorite sax and guitar players, eh? ;)

Swish

MasterCylinder
07-13-2004, 11:36 AM
1) Jean Luc Ponty
2) Robbie Steinhardt
3) Eddie Jobson
4) Papa John Creach
5) David LaFlamme
6) Charlie Daniels ?

tentoze
07-13-2004, 11:38 AM
:D Let's see, there's that Itzhak Perlman fella and Yo Yo Ma. Wait a second, he plays the cello, doesn't he? I guess Itzhak is the only one I know. Just forget it. I guess we should stick to discussing our favorite sax and guitar players, eh? ;)

Swish
How's about a saxy guitar player???

Stone
07-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Poindexter

Jim Clark
07-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Well, how about that one guy? Oh yeah there's that kid too. Can't forget what's his name. What about the idiot who recently lost track of his Strad only to have it turn up in the trash and found by some poor schlep. That may have been a cello though, is that close enough?

Oh, and Roy Clark!

jc

mad rhetorik
07-13-2004, 12:19 PM
1) Jean Luc Ponty

Yeah, he's the first one I thought of. Also the name "Sugar Cane Harris" comes to mind...I'm pretty sure he played with Frank Zappa on <b>Hot Rats</b> (as did Ponty). I might be wrong though. Other good violinists I can think of are David Cross (Wetton-era King Crimson) and Jerry Goodman (Mahavishnu Orchestra, first lineup).

Davey
07-13-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm still working on 2 through 10, but....what was the question again?
http://www.larastjohn.com/photo/580/menzarticle.jpg

Swish
07-13-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm still working on 2 through 10, but....what was the question again?
http://www.larastjohn.com/photo/580/menzarticle.jpg

I know what that's supposed to mean when you're a guy, but what does that mean when the subject is a woman? Inquiring minds want to know!

Swishy Washy

Dusty Chalk
07-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Heifetz

Hilary Hahn
Anne Sophie-Mutter (or is it Anne-Sophie Mutter?)
Kyung Wha Chung
Itzhak Perlman
Sarah Chang
Isaac Stern
Gidon Kremer
Pinchas Zukerman
Joshua Bell
So she has really big feet??? I know what that's supposed to mean when you're a guy, but what does that mean when the subject is a woman? Inquiring minds want to know!She's stable? I like that in a woman.

Davey
07-13-2004, 01:22 PM
I know what that's supposed to mean when you're a guy, but what does that mean when the subject is a woman? Inquiring minds want to know!

Swishy Washy
Huh? My feet are really big so what does that mean for a man? Hey, if your inquiring mind ever decides that it wants to try some Bach and violin and great sound, give her first CD a listen. On Well-Tempered Productions and HDCD with lots of audiophile type doo dads on hand to help the sound quality. Pretty good sheet. Haven't heard the Gypsy CD that picture in the article comes from. Can't always judge a book by the cover.....or is it, uh.....can't always get what you want? Or something like that.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000003Y32.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

N. Abstentia
07-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Uhh...that dude from Dave Matthews Band...Boyd Tinsley?

...Alison Krauss.....

That girl from The Corrs...

..I give up.

Slosh
07-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Only nine to go! :D

Troy
07-13-2004, 05:15 PM
How on earth could you guys forget the genius of Mick Kaminski of ELO?

What's her name in Vertu, too.

tentoze
07-13-2004, 05:48 PM

The guy from Fairport Convention
The girl from Dylan's Rolling Thunder-era band
For cajun, the guy from Beauselais (sp) and Doug Kershaw
For Texas Swing, Johnny Gimble

Hyfi
07-13-2004, 06:31 PM

Ah, you must mean Karen Briggs. She is also on Yanni's Live at The Acropolis disk/video where I saw her first and was blown away long before she showed up on Vertu.

Another guy who is mor of a fiddler, does a great version of JLP's New Country is Mark O'Conner.

MasterCylinder
07-14-2004, 04:59 AM
Thanks M.R. :
How could I ever have forgotten Mr. Cross ? WOW.

I also remember one of those Dixie Chicks plays a mean fiddle, as well as one of the Mandrell sisters.

Stone
07-14-2004, 05:08 AM
She's stable? I like that in a woman.

If the suggestion is that she's physically stable, I can believe it, otherwise....

:)

-Jar-
07-14-2004, 06:34 AM
Huh? My feet are really big so what does that mean for a man? Hey, if your inquiring mind ever decides that it wants to try some Bach and violin and great sound, give her first CD a listen. On Well-Tempered Productions and HDCD with lots of audiophile type doo dads on hand to help the sound quality. Pretty good sheet. Haven't heard the Gypsy CD that picture in the article comes from. Can't always judge a book by the cover.....or is it, uh.....can't always get what you want? Or something like that.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000003Y32.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

thanks for turning me on...

.. to this young musician.

I'll have to keep an eye out for her! ummm yea..

http://www.scapecast.com/onworld/CMO/laraStJn.html

But before I could figure her out, the producer started to
announce her new artist, and the pieces of Bach that were to be played.
The young women that I noticed earlier was busy ashing her cigarette
and quickly walking through the door. With a sexy walk and a sultry look,
she picked up her violin, took center stage and for the next hour Lara St. John
had her way with us all.

Intense and gifted and in away out of control. She is on the edge,
she plays Bach like Hendrix, she has looks that kill, and her performance
peaks as she loses herself in the impossible parts of Bach.
Everything about her is unforgettably provocative.

Ex Lion Tamer
07-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Let's see, you've got...

Nash the Slash, from Toronto, prog-rock band FM
Jonathan Segel, from Santa Cruz Gypsy-rock band Camper van Beethoven
That chick that played on JC Mellencamp's Paper In Fire

Dusty Chalk
07-14-2004, 09:16 AM
That chick that played on JC Mellencamp's Paper In FireThat just might be Lisa Germano...I know she played violin for JCM, but don't know if so on that song...

Dusty Chalk
07-14-2004, 09:17 AM
I've got to add: Laurie Anderson.

Pat D
07-14-2004, 03:35 PM

Swish
Zino Francescatti
Jascha Heifetz
David Oistrakh
Ruggiero Ricci
Jean-Jacques Kantorow
Itzhak Perlman
Ida Haendel
Takako Nishizaki
Suzanne Lautenbacher
Fritz Kreisler

Oh, I know! I've left out Isaac Stern, Arthur Grumiaux, Nathan Milstein, Michael Rabin, Richard Posner, Henryk Szeryng, Iona Brown, and a number of younger violinists I'm not that familiar with. But those are my favorites, in that they have done at least a couple of recordings that I really like.

My favorite of all them is Francescatti, not that he's greater than other great violinists, but I generally like his interpretations best.

MindGoneHaywire
07-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey, Pat--any familiarity with Broadus Erle or Matthew Raimondi? I listened to a Boccherini LP today that featured these two that I thought was very good. This is not my area of expertise, so I'm curious as to yr opinion (all the more so because you've never, ever come off like a snob, unlike some people).

Pat D
07-15-2004, 05:16 AM
Hey, Pat--any familiarity with Broadus Erle or Matthew Raimondi? I listened to a Boccherini LP today that featured these two that I thought was very good. This is not my area of expertise, so I'm curious as to yr opinion (all the more so because you've never, ever come off like a snob, unlike some people). I'm not really familiar with either one. Broadus Earle was a name I had seen, so I did a search. He was a member of the Yale Quartet, which is where I heard the name. One detail that I found was that Takako Nishizaki studied with him. (Nishizaki has sold millions of recordings in China and the Far East!)

I have never heard of Matthew Raimondi and I haven't time to do much more searching today.

ForeverAutumn
07-15-2004, 06:25 AM
Let's see, you've got...

Nash the Slash, from Toronto, prog-rock band FM
Jonathan Segel, from Santa Cruz Gypsy-rock band Camper van Beethoven
That chick that played on JC Mellencamp's Paper In Fire

Nash the Slash. Now there's a blast from my past! I have fond under-age, high-school memories of hanging out at the infamous Nag's Head North (RIP) so that we could see FM and Goddo play. The night always seemed to end with a couple of drunken yahoos brawling in the parking lot. Ah, those were the days! :D

richmon
07-15-2004, 07:20 AM
No one mentioned Alfalfa from the little rascals. When he played 'my darling clemintine' for Darla ... goosebumps!
Any other little rascal fans here? The original b + w that is.