I'm a plebeian ! (aka, the Tuesday listening thread) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm a plebeian ! (aka, the Tuesday listening thread)

Jim Clark
07-13-2004, 05:41 AM
What tired, vacuous music did all you ignorant people manage to listen to over the course of the past week? As stupid as I am I remain grateful that I was able to operate the music machine without electrocuting myself.

Newest listens:

Tantric-After We Go. Saw it at the library and had forgotten that "The Chain" was on the latest CRSV disc. Had I remembered I would have left it on the shelf. Can't say I enjoyed much of anything on this disc.

Ryan Adams-Demolition. Not much of a Ryan Adams fan. I guess a lot of that is owed to the reports I've read that pretty much document that the guy is a jerk. Maybe it shouldn't impact my feelings about the music, but it does. At any rate, I was once again very pleasantly surprised especially by a disc that garnered a mere two stars at AMG. The roughness they cite as a fault appealed to me. Lot's of great songs on this disc and it's been a pleasant diversion the past couple of days.

Xiu Xiu-Fabulous Muscles. Was very leery of this disc as the slant is very far to the left judging from some of the reviews I've read. True enough there is a song or two that just rub me the wrong way like "Support Our Troops Oh" which is a very dark song about the killing of a little girl. Not had much time to spend with it but it's very dark, has so much going on musically that it retains an unpolished edge (though they had to work hard to make it sound rough) so it was pretty much right up my alley.

Others which were equally low brow and distasteful:

Pet Shop boys
Smoking Popes
Paul Simon
Afro Celt Sound System
Death Cab For Cutie
Smoother
Clan of Xymox
Snow Patrol-which gets better and better each time.

and a few others I cant' recall at the moment. Hey, I admitted I was stupid. My mind needs some serious training.

jc

Finch Platte
07-13-2004, 06:08 AM
Tantric-After We Go. Saw it at the library and had forgotten that "The Chain" was on the latest CRSV disc. Had I remembered I would have left it on the shelf. Can't say I enjoyed much of anything on this disc.

jc

Not very good, is it? I'm a big fan of the first disc, but this second just seems to be outtakes from the first. Bleagh.

fp

tentoze
07-13-2004, 06:19 AM
Another toonful week for me:

New to me stuff-

Jesse Sykes and Sweet Hereafter, Oh, My Girl. Super gothic Americana and that guitar player is amazing. Everyone should be listening.

Also, John Kay, Heretics and Privateers. To be honest, I thought Kay had long been relegated to the oldies tours, so when I heard about this one, I figgered what the heck- this is a good, if not great, album. Surprisingly tasty National resonator guitar blues throughout with socially topical lyrics. His voice has dropped a notch or two.

Concrete Blonde best of from Davey that I really like a lot. Another one of those zillions of great bands that I missed the 1st time through. HAven't gotten to the Walkabouts or the 1/2 gone comp yet, but I should have some listeneing time on the wk-end.

Also received a package from Stone this AM that I'm also looking forward to very much. Thanks, Stone- yrs is burned and just needs to get to the P.O. as soon as I can catch my breath.

And a small vinyl haul on Saturday that I was happy with:

Jethro Tull, Benefit

Jean-Luc Ponty, Imaginary Voyage

The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem In Concert

Eliza Gilkyson, Pilgrims- saw her on Austin City Limits several months ago and liked her voice.

Greatest Folk Singers of The Sixties- double album on Vanguard with too many to list- Ian & Sylvia, Doc Watson, Ramblin' Jack, Country Joe, Phil Ochs, John Hammond, etc, etc.

Phillip Glass, Songs From Liquid Days- with lyrics by Paul Simon, David Byrne, etc; vocals by Linda Ronstadt, The Roches.

Ry Cooder, Paradise and Lunch

Chuck Mangione, Children of Sanchez

All for now.

Troy
07-13-2004, 06:57 AM
I played Booker T and the MGs "Melting Pot" about 12 times last week. Just a great, great, but very short album. "Chicken Pox" rocks.

Bozzio-Levin-Stevens- "Black Light Syndrome" is just amazing. To think it's all improvised just makes my head spin. I wish these guys would do a 3rd album.

Jordan Rudess "Feeding the Wheel" is an instrumental progmetal album that is mostly keyboard based. Some great meoments.

RPWL- "Trying to kiss the Sun". Not as good as "Stock", but still very enjoyable Pink Floyd style space pop.

Peter Gabriel 3 (melt). New wave art-rock. 5 stars.

Thomas Dolby "Golden Age of the Wireless". Dated as hell, but still, a pleasant listening experience. It's like every song off this thing was a single.

King Crimson "Thrak" is about as dense as I care to get. A very different album that came out of left field when it was released in the mid-90s. Groundbreaking spacejazz-metal.

Porcupine Tree "Stupid Dream" is this band at their most accessible.

Mike Keneally's "Dog". I have to say, that is exactly what it is. A Dog. Undisciplined (or seemingly so), shrill and ugly. Too much guitar density. Not enough melodic songcraft. But what's really missing for me is JOY. All his other albums are filled with this playfull exuberance and that utter "We are having the BEST time making this" vibe that is totally absent from this album. It feels labored and forced. Easily, the biggest disappointment in CD buying for me in YEARS.

MasterCylinder
07-13-2004, 06:57 AM
Funny........right now I'm listening to DEMETRIO'S PROG COVERS - Vol. 4.

For the past week, I've also checked out these classics.................

Hackett -- Tokyo Tapes DVD
Heart -- Live DVD 2002, Seattle
Troy -- Poly Prog
Troy -- The Van Allen Belt
IQ -- Ever
IQ -- SubT
Porky Tree -- Stupid Dream
Satriani -- Surfing with the Alien

In addition, my new masterpiece, "ECONOBLIND".........I have heard various takes of this in the studio during the last few weeks.......it is getting to be redundant. I need to get the lead guitar tracks put down and then I will distribute to all.

Regards,
MC

Stone
07-13-2004, 06:58 AM
A.C. Newman - The Slow Wonder
Man, I like this album. Catchy, well done pop. I'll be interested to hear what tentoze thinks of it.

Sodastream - A Minor Revival
So far not as good as the Practical Footwear EP, but it's got some great tunes.

Beatles - Revolver
Pulled this out after seeing a Beatles cover band play with the Grand Rapids Symphony on Fri. night. I have to say I was mightily impressed with their performance.

The Nastys - Old Wine, New Bottle EP
A local Grand Rapids band, that I would describe as down 'n' dirty rock 'n' roll, kind of in the vein of Hanoi Rocks and its ilk. Good stuff, actually.

Soul Asylum - Say What You Will Clarence . . .

Also listened to Jim C's You Can't Surf In Kansas comp after hearing a surf band called the Concussions on Fri night before the Beatles thing.

KEXPMF
07-13-2004, 07:29 AM
new:
Death Cab for Cutie
!!!
Athlete
Folksongs for the Afterlife
Beastie Boys

old:
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Vandals - Look What I Almost Stepped In
Swervedriver - Mezcal Head
Happy Mondays

richmon
07-13-2004, 07:48 AM
Four hour car ride to Nearfest and a handful of new disc's purchased there begat this..
Daniel Gauthier 'above the storm' ..nice melodic guitary songs, voice takes a little getting used to, but this has all the signs of being a regular in the rotation.
Seven Reizh 'strinkadenn ys' - stunningly good. If you like Mostly Autumn, you'll love this. Better songwriting, better female vox and finer guitar playing than MA, in that Celtic-y rock style.
Fields 'S/t' - early keys based hard prog, I'm a sucker for this style. Excellent.
Djam KIaret 'a night for baku' --I went cautious with this band since like King Crim they change from album to album. This is a winner in the KC Red kinda way. Ser Goot.
Nice Beaver 'on dry land' -yet another guitary, melodic vocals song based stuff. He likes it!
Yezda Urfa 'sacred baboon' - complex and Echolyn like. Will take a few listens methunks.
...pretty good, not great.
Rare Bird 'as your mind flys by' - an old favorite, in that hard prog, keyboard dominant style.
Chalky Dust's 'things I played the night we broke up' - a brooding, melancholy, morose gem. Everytime I play this I think 'this is in my RR comp hall of fame'. Well done DC.
Kington Wall 'Kingston Wall II' - why didn't this hit me right away? Excellent guitar work. Good songs, fine disc.
The Tubes 'Then and now' -a best of.. several goodies, in that goofy style of theirs.
King Crimson 'the power to believe' - their best in years.

Jim Clark
07-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Concrete Blonde best of from Davey that I really like a lot. Another one of those zillions of great bands that I missed the 1st time through. HAven't gotten to the Walkabouts or the 1/2 gone comp yet, but I should have some listeneing time on the wk-end.

Would be curious to know what you think about the Walkabouts. I've had that CD on my wish list for a little while but haven't found the motivation to purchase it yet. Whenever you find the time...

jc

Dave_G
07-13-2004, 08:16 AM
Great to see a new member here posting!

What did I listen to, hmmmm.

The new IQ

Uriah Heep - Salisbury - making something for finchie and this is aprt of it. Pretty good stuff even tho it's from 1971, not too dated sounding but still you can tell it's old as heck.

Demetrio's Cheesy Prog comps - I listened to 2 of these one day while I rode my bike last week.

MSG - one of those 2 into one import cd's. I used to dig MSG a lot but I am starting to tire of this stuff, it's too repetitive and not very involving.

UFO - Here to now or something like that - the new one without Schenker. More of the same for the most part, decent but nothing earth shattering. Walk on Water blows this one away.

Blackfoot - Siogo and Vertical Smiles - old stuff reissued by Wounded Bird Records - good old school rock.

Thin Lizzy - Chinatown and Renegade - I just love these two albums. They wrote and played rock music so different from the rest of the crowd.

Yes - Magnification - a good album with 1 lousy toon.

Marillion - Anakorophobia - pretty ho hum material. These guys need a shot in the arm of some sort.

I also watched the Dream Theatre dvd and the Star One dvd. Star One is something else - the Europeans know how to do it up right.

Dave

-Jar-
07-13-2004, 08:25 AM
In
Swervedriver - Mezcal Head

Wow, not too many people walkin' around with that album. Awesome driving music.

Interestingly, all 4 of their albums have fallen into my hands over the past 6 years or so without much effort on my part. Always on the lookout for their early EP's though.

-jar

Mike
07-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Jolie Holland – Escondida, formerly of the Be Good Tanya’s this is Jolie’s first official solo album. It’s a really good blend of blues, jazz, gospel, folk etc and a nice recording too.

The Ordinary Boys – Over The Counterculture, part of the new punk pop wave movement in the UK and touted as the Jam meets the Clash meets Morrissey and from what I heard before I heard the album I thought they sounded ok. But the album is a disappointment; it’s all pretty forgettable stuff.

Jesse Malin – The Heat, seems like poor Jesse is being put down for changing his image and sound from a glam/hard rock sound to the alt country field. Well let me tell you I saw him live last Friday in a small club venue, just him no band, but with a fantastic female vocalist keyboard player and he was outstanding. His first album was produced by Ryan Adams and they sound very similar but he has his own style. To be honest his latest album does not do him justice at all, whilst its ok his vocals get lost in the mix slightly. His acoustic set was very polished and he just held the audience for a full 2 hours or more. He’s worth checking out to anybody who likes that sort of stuff.

Just got Davey’s Half Gone comp this morning but not had chance to listen to it yet, thanks Dave

By the way anybody seen the new Allmusic site, personally I liked the old version it had more of an anorak/enthusiast feel about it and it was a good bit quicker but one plus is they now feature sound samples.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
07-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Joy Division - Unknown Plasures
Just got this one last week and listened a few times so far. Not quite sure why I waited so long since I've had Closer for ages on vinyl and love it. At one point I was looking for a nice Factory vinyl original of this too but never found one. Everyone talks about it so much as one of the best rock albums ever that it almost seemed like I already had it. And I had heard songs from it over the years and was planning to probably pick up the box set, but as I said in allears' New Purchases thread, I had a VISA $10 gift card due to self-destruct soon and needed to buy something and how many CDs can you get signed, sealed and delivered to your door for less than $10? Well, I guess there's a bunch, but not many I wanted all that much until I came across this one. $9.97....and worth every penny! It is a pretty amazing album and as mad rhetorik says, Shadowplay is a knockout. Kind of thin sounding compared to how ballsy Closer sounds on my vinyl, so guess I might have to still get an original one of these days. I still think Closer is the best of their two albums, but when the music is this good it becomes only a minor distinction. So how does the box set sound compared to these early CDs? Mine is the Qwest/Warners Bros US release.

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Borrowed this CD from the library since I only have it on one of those zipper-fronted LPs that doesn't live in the same state as me right now, and wow, I had kind of forgotten how great it is. Sometimes it just might be the best Stones album.

Bunch of David Kilgour (Sugar Mouth, Heavy Eights, A Feather In The Engine)
All good but that Heavy Eights is the shiz, man.

Bunch of Concrete Blonde (Bloodletting, Walking In London, Mexican Moon)
All good but that Mexican Moon is the shiz, man.

Pretty & Twisted
This Johnette (Concrete Blonde) and Marc Moreland (Wall of Voodoo) project gets knocked around a lot by fans but I always kind of liked it. Maybe not enough to recommend it to anyone (although it's oop you can still find them for very cheap used, me thinks) but some of the songs are very good, with the forlorn "Souvenir" being one of a handful of my favorite Johnette songs. Unfortunately, the CD is hampered by a few songs that aren't very good and a haphazard sequencing.

Woven Hand
Side project of 16 Horsepower frontman David Edwards that gives him the freedom to raise even more religious fervor than his "normal" bandmates will allow. I love it. Supposed to be another installment on the horizon.

Tim Buckley - Hello & Goodbye

Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regard The End

Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing In The Hands

Head of Femur - Ringodom or Proctor

And for Jimmy, the Walkabouts I sent to tentoze is a copy of their OOP 1996 masterpiece, the covers album titled <i>Satisfied Mind</i>, in a digipak on Germany's Glitterhouse label. Just a beautiful, mostly acoustic country-folk-whatever collection, but spiced with some electronics. Don't know where you can buy it nowadays and had no idea you would be interested or I woulda thrown a copy in with your Half Gone comp. Oh well, some of you may recall the haunting, lap steel-driven rendition of the Carter Family's "The Storms Are On The Ocean" that I put on my <i>Twilight</i> comp from this CD....

<b>Amazon.com essential recording</b>
It's hard to believe the Walkabouts have been making records for 15 years. They've built a solid following in Europe, but are almost completely unknown in the states. The sound of their seventh full length release is hard to pin down: traditional country, folk, alternative rock, some R&B touches, all played with an inspired amateurishness, and delivered in the rough, muted vocals of songwriter Chris Eckman and the smooth soprano and cello of Carla Torgerson. These 13 songs are all covers, from the standard title cut, to Patti Smith, Nick Lowe, and Johnny Rivers songs, as well as the Charlie Rich beauty "Feel Like Going Home." Should be a real find for fans of Whiskeytown and Uncle Tupelo. --Roy Francis Kasten

Click for Pictures: <a href=http://members.mailaka.net/davey/walkabouts1.jpg>Inside Digi-pak</a> <a href=http://members.mailaka.net/davey/walkabouts2.jpg>Rear Digi-pak</a>

EDIT: Oh yeah, while I'm here might as well mention that I checked out from the library and watched some very cool movies in the last week too. Late to the party as usual, but watched Spirited Away (colossal DVD, loved it), Metropolis (very nicely done and as Troy said in another thread, some cool jazz backing throughout), Amelie (thought this would be kind of cheesy but it was really enjoyable and the lead actress is pretty adorable) and Ghosts In The Shell (which I'd already seen a couple years ago but watched it again). More DVDs than I've probably ever watched in a week before with a bunch more trickling in on hold at the library.

EDIT 2.0: Wow, just checked and I've got SIX dvds waiting for me to pick em up at the library. Frida, Daredevil, The Royal Tenenbaums, Go Fish and a coupla others I've seen before but love. Cool. I feel like a little boy again ;)

Dusty Chalk
07-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Got the older two Lali Puna albums, and they are pretty darn good, too.

Basement Jaxx, Kish Kash -- awesome! Booty-shaking to the extreme (maybe not quite as much so as Underworld, but still...), plus an absolute A-list of vocalists.

Listening to Legendary Pink Dots right now -- they are so awesome. They've got that patient space-rock thing absolutely down.

The new Secret Chiefs 3 is bizarro-land.

Echostar -- hey, Chrisnz, you heard this? I think you'd like...

Sigur Rós -- new one, did someone mention this and I miss it? Melikes...

Boom-Bip -- check out this list of remixers: Four Tet, Mogwai, Lali Puna, Clouddead, Venetian Snares, Boards of Canada. Yet it's the Peel Session track I like the most.

ForeverAutumn
07-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Also, John Kay, Heretics and Privateers. To be honest, I thought Kay had long been relegated to the oldies tours, so when I heard about this one, I figgered what the heck- this is a good, if not great, album. Surprisingly tasty National resonator guitar blues throughout with socially topical lyrics. His voice has dropped a notch or two.

Are the songs on this disk well diversified in style? What I mean by that is...does it all sound the same?

Kay was on a local morning show last week and played a couple of songs off of this new disk. The first song had me yelling to my husband, "come listen to this! It's excellent!". I was ready to go out and buy the CD later that same day. The second song, however, had us wondering where the first song ended and the second song began, they sounded so much the same. As good as the songs were, I was concerned that all the songs sounded the same, which can make for a pretty boring listen.

Was it, perhaps, just a bad choice of the two songs? I don't know which songs they were.

tentoze
07-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Are the songs on this disk well diversified in style? What I mean by that is...does it all sound the same?

Kay was on a local morning show last week and played a couple of songs off of this new disk. The first song had me yelling to my husband, "come listen to this! It's excellent!". I was ready to go out and buy the CD later that same day. The second song, however, had us wondering where the first song ended and the second song began, they sounded so much the same. As good as the songs were, I was concerned that all the songs sounded the same, which can make for a pretty boring listen.

Was it, perhaps, just a bad choice of the two songs? I don't know which songs they were.
FA,

They do tend to run together stylistically, IMO. It's all acoustic-blues based stuff- with the resonator guitars up front. I like it, and was kinda surprised at how rooted in Delta blues the songs all are, cuzI sure never heard any of that influence in the classic Steppenwolf days. Lyrically, Kay hasn't lost any of the fire that was stoked on Monster, as far as railing at the flawed foreign and social policies of his adopted country's government. I'd give it a 3 grins out of five.

:) :) :)

et

Swish
07-13-2004, 11:21 AM
none of which are classical since I ain't smart or sophisticated enough to appreciate it anyhoot.

Radiohead - OK Computer They used one of the tracks for the final scene on "Six Feet Under" a couple weeks ago, so I had to pull this out of my racks.

Franz Ferdinand - S/T

Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Los Lobos - The Ride

Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball

Richmond Fontaine - Post to Wire

Grandaddy - the Sophtware Slump

The Swish Mix - Volume 1, Brits and Others. DLD asked me for a copy, so I sent him one and gave it a spin for old time's sake.

Swish, the vacuous one.

mad rhetorik
07-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Not an ounce of classical in my player. Guess that means I'm just some moronic, shallow, infantile lover of pop culture. Whatever. : P
Anyway...

Portishead: <b>Dummy</b> (this damn thing just won't leave my player!)
John Coltrane: <b>A Love Supreme</b>
Mahavishnu Orchestra: <b>Birds Of Fire</b>
Jimi Hendrix: <b>Band Of Gypsys</b>
Fugazi: <b>13 Songs</b>
Frank Zappa: <b>One Size Fits All</b>
David Bowie: <b>Low</b>
Bob Dylan: <b>Blonde On Blonde</b>
Public Enemy: <b>It Takes A Nation...</b>
King's X: <b>Gretchen Goes To Nebraska</b>
Jar's <b>It's OK</b>
Troy's <b>Garage Band</b> (when is <b>Garage Band II</b> coming out? I want to hear what your compositions will sound like with vox over 'em)

Mr MidFi
07-13-2004, 11:53 AM
I listened to the new Wilco until it started to sound good to me. Which it does. Now. Well, except for that 10-minute-long drone.

I also pulled out all of my MetaComp discs (my comps made from other people's comps) and played all seven of them, one after the other. It was awesome. Thanks again to everyone here, past and present, who have ever sent me anything. I truly appreciate it.

I then put on 5 really great Stones albums and pressed Ransom Play.

After that, I played Peter Gabriel's first and third albums (the excellent remasters), as well as a few tracks from his most recent DVD.

Somewhere along the line I played BTS's Keep It Like a Secret, and Slosh's excellent Radiohead comp.

Oh, and a Stone Roses "best of" disc I picked up. Lots of good songs on that one.

That's all I can remember for now.

Troy
07-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Troy's <b>Garage Band</b> (when is <b>Garage Band II</b> coming out? I want to hear what your compositions will sound like with vox over 'em)

Don't you check you private messages? I lost your addy and I remember you specifically asking for one. A new disc went out to a few people last week. Still no vox though. Next time . . .

Send me your mailing addy.

mad rhetorik
07-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Don't you check you private messages? I lost your addy and I remember you specifically asking for one. A new disc went out to a few people last week. Still no vox though. Next time . . .

Send me your mailing addy.

Sorry dewd, I must've missed it. Check your PM.

Finch Platte
07-13-2004, 06:55 PM

Interestingly, all 4 of their albums have fallen into my hands over the past 6 years or so without much effort on my part. Always on the lookout for their early EP's though.

-jar

About time you made a SD comp, idden it?

BTW, do you have these EPs? duel, with duel, planes over the skyline and year of the girl.
Reel To Real, with Sandblasted, Scrawl & Scream, Hands & Jesus?

Just got the new Sparta. Noisy. Dunno if I like it yet. It's got that damn FBI protection thing on it, er else I'd offer a copy. :(

fp

-Jar-
07-13-2004, 08:45 PM
About time you made a SD comp, idden it?

BTW, do you have these EPs? duel, with duel, planes over the skyline and year of the girl.
Reel To Real, with Sandblasted, Scrawl & Scream, Hands & Jesus?

Just got the new Sparta. Noisy. Dunno if I like it yet. It's got that damn FBI protection thing on it, er else I'd offer a copy. :(

fp

I don't have any of the Swervedriver ep's.. just the 4 albums. Reel to Real is one I've been looking to get my hands on. an SD comp? I'll think about it. ;)

haven't heard any new Sparta.. I read it's a LOOONG album.

-jar

KEXPMF
07-13-2004, 09:12 PM

-jar

I have 2 of the Creation Records EPs
1-Son of Mustang Ford
2-Volcano Trash
3-Kill the Superheroes
4-Juggernaut Rides

1-Rave Down .... (AWESOME SONG!!)
2-She's Beside Herself
3-Zedhead

They are great but nothing on them as good as Duel or Last Train to Satanville (in my opinion)

-Jar-
07-14-2004, 05:31 AM
I have 2 of the Creation Records EPs
1-Son of Mustang Ford
2-Volcano Trash
3-Kill the Superheroes
4-Juggernaut Rides

1-Rave Down .... (AWESOME SONG!!)
2-She's Beside Herself
3-Zedhead

They are great but nothing on them as good as Duel or Last Train to Satanville (in my opinion)

Rave Down was the first song I heard by Swervedriver back when I was a college DJ. Definately one of my favorites. I found RAISE for a few buck a couple years back. Was pretty happy with that find. Are you a fan of the other shoegazer bands? I'm pretty much obsessed with that era, though actually there are still quite a few albums from the early 90's I need to add to my collection.

-jar

MindGoneHaywire
07-14-2004, 06:56 AM
MP3s: I put together two MP3-only discs, one Beatles, one Ramones, with every song officially released from the time the bands were together, in order of release. Nifty thing to have, especially the Ramones disc, for watching fireworks. Taking the time to tag the files to reflect the order was a bit of a pain, but worth it. Didn't take that long, actually. I didn't bother with live albums, but I was able to fit all the extra tracks on the Ramones reissues from a few years ago, and both Let It Be versions on the Beatles disc, which had plenty of room to spare. It's a nice thing to have in my Discman when it's the closest thing to reach for...actually, I only made these since I had to pick up a new Discman for when I DJ a few weeks ago & went with a model that plays MP3s.

CDs: Beastie Boys, To The Five Boroughs: love the single, have only spun the entire thing a couple of times. I need some more time with it. My first impression that it was a little on the shrill side sonically, with real treble-y drums & percussion in a few places, but I loved the sample of the guitar line from the Dead Boys' 'Sonic Reducer.' Have to give it a little more of a listen. Eamon's "Ho-Wop" masterpiece, "I Don't Want You Back." Any of you heard this? It's awfully misogynistic, but amusing if you can get by that aspect of it. (Not to be taken seriously) Also a DJ "Mash-Up" of apparently unlicensed samples set to beats, called Destroy All DJs. Hell, it was up on AMG, so what the hell. In it a couple of DJs set a variety of acts' music to beats, sometimes rapping over it, sometimes just having the actual vocals play in a newly configured arrangement. They use AC/DC, the Ramones, Missing Persons, the White Stripes, the New York Dolls, and others, and the end result is very interesting. Also still listening to the Asylum Street Spankers' "Mercurial." Great stuff...and "The Essential Little Richard" as well. And, ahem, "Giant Steps."

Vinyl: A record that consists of 1960s field recordings done on the Ivory Coast, with selections like "Music for chopping down a tree" and "Women's work song for hoeing a field." Interesting enough to listen to once, I suppose. A few Musical Heritage Society albums from the 1960s, including some with Maurice Andre, which run the gamut, Vivaldi, Gothic and Renaissance dances, Music of the Salzburg Court, The Birds And The Bees, Music for Ondes Martenot, etc. etc. Mostly very tedious stuff. Slightly more interesting was a Mozart record featuring Jascha Heifetz and Benjamin Primrose; Morton Gould's orchestra doing the Grand Canyon Suite and Bolero; Gliere's Symphony No. 3, Fritz Kreisler & Gaspar Cassado, and a Wagner 10" from the 50s, I believe. No, I didn't start listening to this stuff because of the dilettante in the other thread, I've been listening to these records for a couple of weeks to determine if they're in listenable/saleable condition. Some opera records, too, including one from 1939 featuring Lauritz Melchior & Kirsten Flagstad. Not very inspiring. At this moment I'm listening to a 3-LP box of Turandot featuring Jussi Bjorling, which is more interesting by miles. Still, one has to be in the right mood for this sort of thing. It simply does not work all the time. I guess I've got some Sinatra up next, then I'll take a break with, oh, perhaps the Little Killers or the Hives.

KEXPMF is a friend of mine, a fellow DJ here in NYC. Knowing that she listens to a LOT of the new/indie stuff that a lot of you guys listen to, way more than I do, I thought she'd make a good contributor to this board. I think she was glad that someone here was into Swervedriver!

Davey
07-14-2004, 07:47 AM
The Ordinary Boys – Over The Counterculture, part of the new punk pop wave movement in the UK and touted as the Jam meets the Clash meets Morrissey and from what I heard before I heard the album I thought they sounded ok. But the album is a disappointment; it’s all pretty forgettable stuff.......Just got Davey’s Half Gone comp this morning but not had chance to listen to it yet, thanks Dave
Glad you got the package and you're certainly welcome. Sorry I didn't have time to include some extra "goodies" this time like we usually do. Have you heard much from or about Razorlight? Another one of your English hypester bands to come along in the wake of the Libertines (themselves in the wake of many before them, but a little more authentic sounding to my old ears). The guy at fastnbulbous is really high on their new one but most of the other reviews seem much less enthusiastic. Haven't listened to any samples yet myself. Anyway, the Ordinary Boys usually come up in the conversation too. I'm looking forward to the new Libertines album. All accounts I've read have been really positive. Too bad they waste so much energy on squabbling and falling apart. Seem even worse than Oasis in that regard. Do you like the Libertines?

KEXPMF
07-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Rave Down was the first song I heard by Swervedriver back when I was a college DJ. Definately one of my favorites. I found RAISE for a few buck a couple years back. Was pretty happy with that find. Are you a fan of the other shoegazer bands? I'm pretty much obsessed with that era, though actually there are still quite a few albums from the early 90's I need to add to my collection.

-jar

yep. Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Catherine Wheel, Stone Roses
Mostly, I'm into Brit-pop and indie rock ... but I love a wide range of music.
It's great to discover things like Swervedriver in the bargain bin. So weird though. I find that stuff in used stores in the midwest mostly. I found a Schtum cd "Grow" for $.99
Know THAT band, from Ireland, signed to Sony? You might, depending upon when you were a college DJ.
Speaking of Ride, Mark Gardner toured last year. Saw the show at a very small club in NYC, not even half full. Wow! People missed out!

Right now listening to:
BRMC

-Jar-
07-14-2004, 09:58 AM
yep. Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Catherine Wheel, Stone Roses
Mostly, I'm into Brit-pop and indie rock ... but I love a wide range of music.
It's great to discover things like Swervedriver in the bargain bin. So weird though. I find that stuff in used stores in the midwest mostly. I found a Schtum cd "Grow" for $.99
Know THAT band, from Ireland, signed to Sony? You might, depending upon when you were a college DJ.
Speaking of Ride, Mark Gardner toured last year. Saw the show at a very small club in NYC, not even half full. Wow! People missed out!

Right now listening to:
BRMC

by the way.. Welcome to Rave Recs! I see these are your first posts.. hope you stick around and join in the fun. There's a few of us around here who are into the early 90's British bands.. I was a dj from 1988 to 1996, so I got caught up in lots of different movements.. Industrial, Manchester, the whole 4ad sound.. it was definately a great time for music.

I got to interview Mark and Andy of Ride back in 1992 (I think) on their GOING BLANK AGAIN tour.. nice guys. Slowdive opened. Definately the best shoegazer show I got to see.. I never caught MBV or the Stone Roses though. Saw Catherine Wheel at a festival in 1995.. they were great. Caught Teenage Fanclub w/ Uncle Tupelo opening.. that was quite a show..

I think one of my friends a few years ago told me about Schtum and I think I even downloaded a song, I'll have to go back and check them out. Though, now I'm thinking it was Scheer. Similar names I guess.. anyway..

again, welcome!

-jar

Dusty Chalk
07-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Yeah, ditto, what he said. Anyone who loves shoegazer is cool in my book.

And yes, Jar, that goes for you, too, of course.

Closet Swervedriver fan.

Did you know...?

Danny from Strange Boutique left to join Swervedriver?

Mike
07-15-2004, 01:33 AM
Anyway, the Ordinary Boys usually come up in the conversation too. I'm looking forward to the new Libertines album. All accounts I've read have been really positive. Too bad they waste so much energy on squabbling and falling apart. Seem even worse than Oasis in that regard. Do you like the Libertines?

I heard the Libertines last album Up the Bracket and quite liked the raw sound to it but yer right I'm not sure if they are a band that's going to last - too much infighting.

As for Razorlight they must be one of the most hyped bands in the UK at the moment and I've only heard one thing by them on an uncut comp, sometimes you just can't keep pace with 'new' music but they are on my list of things to do.

Got chance to listen to your comp last night and quite a few caught my ear so just a few quick comments. First off Honeydogs I wasn't sure about the first track or more of a snippet but I liked the last one, I like that Wheat type poppy sound, I need to hear some samples somewhere.

Animal Collective, from what I heard I'm pretty sure it's not my thing I remember you perfectly descibed it as 'messy' and that's just what I hear too.

Secret Machines I've got the album and at first I thought it was ok but a tad overhyped and now I'm starting to tire of that overblown drum sound a little.

Les Savy, he's new to me and I like the track I need to check out more of his stuff.

Modest Mouse and Electrelane, now these two really struck a chord with me especially MM and their second track. I've heard a few samples but which of the two tracks better represent the album? Electrelane sounds good too I remember Jim raving about that album I really liked what I heard so I'll keep a lookout for it.

Lali Puna and Moonbabies you know I already like and as for Franz Ferdy well I'm not so keen on the album you know but the track you chose I think is one of the best.

Devandra Banhart, can't make up my mind about this guy he was on the Jools Holland show the other day sat in the middle of a dimly lit studio sorrounded by candles playing and singing, like I said not sure about him.

By the way have you heard any Death Cab For Cutie? I picked up Transatlanticism a week or two ago and can't get the tracks out of my head. As for The Ordinary Boys I was was wondering what to send back so I'll send a copy of that and you can make up your own mind.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
07-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Modest Mouse and Electrelane, now these two really struck a chord with me especially MM and their second track. I've heard a few samples but which of the two tracks better represent the album?
Well, that's a tough question. Both and neither, which is why I chose them. The "Bury Me With It" song, besides acting as the title track for this album, harkens back to their indie days on Up Records and is the first song other than "Float On" that I heard from the album when they performed it on TV before release, while the "Blame It On The Tetons" song echoes the gentle, folky sound that Isaac Brock and his buddies from Black Heart Procession, Califone and Holopaw explored on the Ugly Casanova project from a couple years ago. The new album is very diverse and also very good, but it's doubtful anyone would love it all. Many highlights including one of the best singles of the year in the Talking Heads-like "Float On" which has gotten tons of MTV play (really nice video, btw) and has propelled the album to gold sales status in the US. But it does still retain some of the discordant and quirky edges that their older fans such as myself like about them. It's not my favorite Modest Mouse album but I like it a lot. Your call :)

By the way have you heard any Death Cab For Cutie? I picked up Transatlanticism a week or two ago and can't get the tracks out of my head. As for The Ordinary Boys I was was wondering what to send back so I'll send a copy of that and you can make up your own mind.
Yeah, I've been a fan for a few years (well, only since We Have The Facts....) and I do have a "preview" copy of Transatlanticism and do think it's good, although maybe not as good as Facts. I honestly haven't listened to it a ton and hence haven't bought a copy. Hold off on sending me anything because I'm about to move.

BTW, I think you can listen to a few of the Honeydogs songs at their site (http://www.honeydogs.com/) and there's a nice review at http://www.pastemagazine.com/action/article?article_id=583 (besides the one at my site :)).

chrisnz
07-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Got the older two Lali Puna albums, and they are pretty darn good, too.

Basement Jaxx, Kish Kash -- awesome! Booty-shaking to the extreme (maybe not quite as much so as Underworld, but still...), plus an absolute A-list of vocalists.

Listening to Legendary Pink Dots right now -- they are so awesome. They've got that patient space-rock thing absolutely down.

The new Secret Chiefs 3 is bizarro-land.

Echostar -- hey, Chrisnz, you heard this? I think you'd like...

Sigur Rós -- new one, did someone mention this and I miss it? Melikes...

Boom-Bip -- check out this list of remixers: Four Tet, Mogwai, Lali Puna, Clouddead, Venetian Snares, Boards of Canada. Yet it's the Peel Session track I like the most.

Thanks for the heads up on the Echostar, Dusty. It does sound like something I'd go for.

Just ordered the Boom Bip album - Corymb that you mentioned and a couple of DJ Shadow treats - In Tune And On Time DVD and Camel Bobsled Race.

Didn't even know Sigur Ros had a new one out!

Thanks, Chris.

Slosh
07-16-2004, 04:12 AM
Les Savy, he's new to me and I like the track I need to check out more of his stuff.
Not a he, but a band. I threw together a quickie Les Savy Fav vs. McLusky comp for my brother last weekend and it's still on my hard drive. If you're interested send me a PM. McLusky is a bit heavier (not metal, however) but these two bands sound really good together. Would make for a killer show!

Modest Mouse and Electrelane, now these two really struck a chord with me especially MM and their second track. I've heard a few samples but which of the two tracks better represent the album? Electrelane sounds good too I remember Jim raving about that album I really liked what I heard so I'll keep a lookout for it.
I think the latest Modest Mouse is right up there with anything they've ever done and that's saying a lot from my perspective. If you're going to be buying your first MM record, this isn't a bad place to start in the least :)

I like every Electralane song I've heard thus far but haven't picked up any of their albums yet.

By the way have you heard any Death Cab For Cutie? I picked up Transatlanticism a week or two ago and can't get the tracks out of my head.

Cheers
Mike
Yeah, I held off buying Transatlanticism until November of last year because I wanted the SACD version. As Davey said, We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes is full of catchy songs as well but has much more of a raw feel and a low fi sound to it. Personally I think The Photo Album is their best work and the production values and sonics (at least on LP) are excellent too.

KEXPMF
07-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Thanks Jar. Yes I'm seeing that MindGoneHaywire was right in telling me that I would find people with similar musical taste on here. I DJ occasionally, and sometimes will throw in Swervedriver or an obscure Echo & the Bunnymen or Schtum and, once in a blue moon, someone will be in the bar and come running up to me saying "I can't believe you are playing this! How do you know this?" It's so refreshing but it doesn't happen too often. (Usually the person running up to me is from the UK - last night it was a guy from Liverpool)
I played "Tiny Meat" by Ruby, last night. I had forgotten all about that song and band. It's a good one.
Definitely check out Schtum. The college radio hit was "Skydiver". It was around '95 so you might have come across it. The singer has a band now called Hybrasil (based out of Boston). He moved here from Ireland and also sang with Orchestra Morphine for a while. Dana (sax player from Morphine) appears on the Hybrasil album and often joins him onstage when they play clubs in Boston.
Sounds like some of you make comp cds! Might have to trade!
now listening to: KEXP (of course!)

-Jar-
07-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Sounds like some of you make comp cds! Might have to trade!
now listening to: KEXP (of course!)

hehehe that's a mild understatement ;)

ever seen the Art of the Mix site? I have my mixes archived here:

http://www.artofthemix.com/AOTMCommunity/profile.asp?Email=dubman99@aol.com

I've pretty much done tape mixes my whole life until a few years ago I started in with cds.

yea, there's a been a little trading going on around here..

-jar

KEXPMF
07-16-2004, 10:21 AM
hehehe that's a mild understatement ;)

ever seen the Art of the Mix site? I have my mixes archived here:

http://www.artofthemix.com/AOTMCommunity/profile.asp?Email=dubman99@aol.com

I've pretty much done tape mixes my whole life until a few years ago I started in with cds.

yea, there's a been a little trading going on around here..

-jar

:eek: what a website! I've never seen it. I'm overwhelmed by it. Great, another time vampire for me!!
the reggae and indie rock mixes look great. I will look at the rest someday when I have more time. argh!