SCAM on ebay [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SCAM on ebay

musicguy04
07-13-2004, 04:02 AM
By the way, this is an example why not to buy on ebay. While there are a lot of reputable sellers on there, here is one that is 100% scam so you know what to look for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5709551161&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Reasons for the scam:

Seller only takes Western Union Money Transfer

With the "added securities" I suspect escrow fraud (extremely common) I think only www.escrow.com is the only reputable escrow

Seller cannot spell worth beans

More importantly:

Seller has cancelled all bids from people who are scam busters.

Seller has private feedback, which in reality was only 1 positive transaction for a private auction, most likely for a low cost item between two names the con artist is using.

Pictures of the item link to an audio store in New Jersey, which has sold numerous positive items. This guy just copied the link off their page.

Beware... this is a SCAM. I'm just trying to be helpful. :-)

musicguy04
07-13-2004, 05:15 AM
I guess ebay cancelled his scam auction. Well, his ID was: rolly186 if people care to look.

Worf101
07-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Was he the person selling an Onkyo 989 for around $700.00 bucks? If so, I thought scam myself when I saw it.

Da Worfster :cool:

musicguy04
07-13-2004, 02:01 PM
No, he was selling "new" B&W 802s for around $3200, when the items never existed. He got the pictures from a reputable audiogon seller, whom I've informed them of.

But thanks, I'll check out the Onkyo and see if it's a scam and try to stop it if it is.,

mtrycraft
07-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Reasons for the scam:

Seller only takes Western Union Money Transfer

With the "added securities" I suspect escrow fraud (extremely common) I think only www.escrow.com is the only reputable escrow

I'm just trying to be helpful. :-)

Yep, I have a friend who looked at a totally different hobby item but similar practice, Only this payment, only that address, etc.