Floorstanding Speaker Recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floorstanding Speaker Recommendations

classicalfreak
07-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Nice to meet everyone. I have an old pair of Celestion DL8s that I'd like to augment/replace...while I'm no audiophile, I do like flat response speakers, no heavy bass coloration. I can't really afford to spend more than 500 per pair, which I understand isn't very much money at all. I'd like some model recommendations where I could begin my search...I've been out of this game for so long, I really don't know who still manufactures quality speakers. I'm open to the bookshelf/satellite option should anyone have an exception recommendation to offer. Thanks to all in advance.

musicguy04
07-12-2004, 11:37 AM
I thought the B&W 603 sounded really good, but then again, I'm just new to this myself. The 602 bookshelf might be nice.

This Guy
07-12-2004, 03:12 PM
are you gonna use a sub with these?

classicalfreak
07-13-2004, 06:13 AM
I didn't plan on using a subwoofer...I think this is why I thought a floor standing option would be preferable.

Bryan
07-13-2004, 07:56 AM
With a budget of $500 you will want to look around the used speaker market, such as Audiogon (http://www.audiogon.com). The Swan 4.1 (http://www.theaudioinsider.com/cgi-bin/theaudioinsider/SW4.1BC.html) may work but check with them (sales@theaudioinsider.com - believe it is Jon Lane) to be sure.

RGA
07-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Well if you must have floorstanding speakers frankly I would keep what you own given your budget constraints. Older does not mean worse and newer most likely means cheaper cabinets.

Now this depends on how good your Celestions are but they're considered an excellent company and made popular speakers. People would like to spend your money knowing nothing about the speaker you own and perhaps for $30-$50.00 could fix yours up as good as new. Someone else mentioned the B&W 603S3. Certainly give them a listen - I doubt you can get them for $500.00 but it's worth a shot. Otherwise I would look used.

Post your question on http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/bbs.html and perhaps on their vintage forum.

psonic
07-13-2004, 02:38 PM
See if there's an Energy dealer in your area...you won't be dissapointed...the C-5 with a with the excellent 1" aluminum tweeter and dual 6.5in woofers goes for $599-699 depending on the dealer, call a few and go audtition if they perhaps have a display model you can get for <$500, they may even negotiate down close to that for an in-box pair. There are also some online vendors that I've seen selling them under $500. They are some very good speakers regardless of price. I ended up buying a used set of Dynaudio 60s, $1200 new, but the C-5 can hold it's own and was one of my top choices. A subwoofer is not required w/ this speaker as you'll see in the reviews below. Enjoy and listen to as many speakers as you can before deciding...

http://www.energyloudspeakers.com/connoisseur/connoisseur_speakers1_c-5.html

http://www.energyloudspeakers.com/prod_rev/connoisseur_reviews.html

http://www.energy-speakers.com/dealer_locator/dealer_locator.html

skeptic
07-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Buying used loudspeakers especially sight unseen can be risky business. Foam surrounds rot, tweeters get burned out, midrange and tweeter level controls don't work and the owner doesn't tell you about it, sometimes because he had something to hide but often because he simply didn't know. Once you own them, if they are defective, damaged or for some reason need repair, there are many models that are discontinued and so rare that getting replacement parts can be hard or impossible. If you try to subtitute different parts, you are basically redesigning the speaker into something different. If you buy used speakers from a dealer or private party, inspect them carefully, with the grill covers off if possible. Hook them up and put them through their paces. Drive them hard, but not to the point of damage. Try music with frequency extremes like organ music, piccolos, violins, try vocals. Listen for buzzes, rattles, lack of highs, and make sure both speakers sound the same.

There are probably NO new speakers at $500 a pair today that can be considered high accuracy by lovers of classical music. What limitations you get will depend on your own predisposition to what you can live with. Personally, I'd look for a used pair of high end acoustic suspension speakers of 20 to 30 years ago in pristine condition or completely restored. Try Larger Advent, AR 3a, AR5, AR LST, LST II, KLH 6, KLH 5, KLH 12, Rectilinear III, Dynaco A 25, Dynaco A 35, Bozak Concert Grand. These were all highly respected loudspeakers 30 to 35 years ago. They will not sound as bright as current models but if they are in good condition a little tweaking of tone controls or a graphic equalizer will be able to make them play beautifully. Almost any modern quality receiver of the last 20 years or so will have enough power for any of them.

matt39
07-14-2004, 04:00 AM
Why do you wish to replace the Celestions? It would seem to me they're the type of speaker you are looking for and I think it could be tough to improve on them on your budget.

jwh917
08-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Nice to meet everyone. I have an old pair of Celestion DL8s that I'd like to augment/replace...while I'm no audiophile, I do like flat response speakers, no heavy bass coloration. I can't really afford to spend more than 500 per pair, which I understand isn't very much money at all. I'd like some model recommendations where I could begin my search...I've been out of this game for so long, I really don't know who still manufactures quality speakers. I'm open to the bookshelf/satellite option should anyone have an exception recommendation to offer. Thanks to all in advance.
Try and find a used pair of Snell Acoustic loudspeakers.They are really incredible...very accurate,and have the best off axis response of any speakers i've ever listened to.Try Ebay.Good luck.

Woochifer
08-03-2004, 09:47 PM
You might be out of luck if you're budgeting $500. In general, I found that most floorstanding speakers in the sub-$1,000 range have problems with cabinet resonance, overemphasis in the lows, less coherent midrange, and muddier imaging compared to bookshelf counterparts. The only real advantage that a floorstanding speaker offers is the low frequency extension. Otherwise, the bookshelf models have advantages in just about every other area. At the $500 mark, I would start with the bookshelf models and listen to the floorstanders only for comparison.

If you're looking for something that will replicate the sound of the older Celestions, it won't be easy. The Celestions I heard from that era I remember were more akin to the "British sound" that companies like B&W, Mission, and KEF were putting out 20 years ago. I'm not sure if I would call it that type of sound "flat response" so much as "warm" since it tends to emphasize the midrange, play relatively even into the lows, and gradually roll off the highs. More modern speakers (including the newer generation B&Ws) tend not to roll off those highs as much as the older British speakers did. In general, you have much fewer truly bad speakers out there nowadays, and if anything, speakers are a lot less idiosyncratic than they used to beIf you're used to that sound and still want it, keep in mind that a lot of the companies, including British brands like B&W and KEF, have tweaked with their sound over the past decade and it's not quite as laid back and overtly "warm" sounding as it was before.

The only recent speaker in your price range that I've tried out and reminded me of the older British speakers was the Missions, although I've read that the newer Mission models have deviated from their trademark sound and until they straighten their distribution situation out, they may not be easy to find in the U.S. If floorstanders are a must, then going the used route would definitely open up your options, but since you're unfamiliar with the brands and the speakers, you'd probably have to buy them without hearing them first and IMO that would be a mistake given that you've been out of the loop. Try giving the standmounted speakers a listen first, and work from there.

3db
08-04-2004, 03:09 AM
I;ve audtioned these many times among others such as Paradigm ,Energy, etc but I keep coming back to PSB. I'm currrentyl saving up my hard earned money to get me a pair of PSB T45s. I've heard them thru NAD and Krell amps.. These babies produce awesome sound for the money and you'll be hard pressed to match there performance in this price range

http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/ImageSeries.html

Geoffcin
08-04-2004, 05:27 AM

First the good news;

If you like classical, there are some excellent newer "bookshelf" size speakers that will knock your socks off, in the price range you are at. There's also IMHO the BEST speaker made for classical music (if you have the room for it) and there's a model in your price range. The speaker is Magnepan, and the model is the Magnepan MMG. Priced at $550, it comes with a money back guarantee. See Magnepan.com for the offer.

Bad news;

There's no floorstanders that I know of less than a grand or better that can compete with the quality and sound of older floorstanders. As a matter of fact, MOST of the floorstanders that I like (and I own a coupe of pair) are over 2k.

Buzz Roll
08-04-2004, 09:07 AM
I would also say to try the Magnepan MMGs.

It is definitely harder to find good sounding, well balanced floor-standers. My favorite budget sound so far is the Ohm Microwalsh. After these speakers, prepare to spend atleast $2K. It sounds kind of snooty to say, but that's just the way it is.

Pat D
08-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Someone already asked why you would want to replace your Celestions, and you haven't answered him. I'll pick on the word "augment," which implies you still like them. If you do still like them, the best upgrade for $500 would be a subwoofer. This would give you more bass extension than most floorstanders.

jrflanne
08-11-2004, 11:29 AM
You can probably get a pair of PSB Stratus Bronze used for around $500 or so. I have a pair that I paid $800 new a couple of years ago. They are discontinued now but have a rich, full sound and are excellent for the price.
jack

brigrizzme
08-11-2004, 01:35 PM
KEF make some pretty flat response FLOOR speakers in that price range. They sound petty good too. Very high W.A.F. to boot.