What am I hearing? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What am I hearing?

Retardking
07-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the boards, and I'm in need of some troubleshooting help. When I listen/watch a movie, occasionally I will hear what sounds to me as a distortion in high frequencies coming from my center channel speaker (I think) during scenes that are relatively quiet (dialogue for example). Not quite a pop, more like a very brief static sound. Another example is the sound of footsteps and on occasion during loud action scenes I will hear it. It's odd because I don't get it all the time, and I doubt most people would hear it. I would understand it if I had my system cranked up, but it happens at modest listening levels (I live in an apartment so loud listening is not really an option). I've checked and rechecked my speaker wires and other connections. My DVD changer is connected to my receiver via an optical cable. I don't get it when I listen to music in stereo or 5.1. FWTW, I have the treble on my receiver set to -1.5 (on a -6 to +6 scale). That has helped a little compared to having set at "0", but I don't want to muddy up the sound to the rest of the speakers by setting the treble any lower. Sorry to be so long winded, but I wanted to try and give a complete a picture that I could.

Are my speakers accentuating audio that is recorded onto DVD's at a too high a level, a problem or characteristic of some of my equipment, blown speaker, or something else? Any advice, suggestions, or words of expertise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wireworm5
07-13-2004, 03:50 AM
The only time I have heard the sound that you are discribing is when I had the Wave signal strength set to high on my soundcard. So I think that this is coming from your dvd player which might have too high of an output signal strength. And I was told by the repair man that this kind of distortion can damage the speaker, if this is indeed what's causing it.