sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sub?

s dog
07-11-2004, 08:14 PM
I have a paradigm ps 1000 ,i would like to do a upgrade what should i do buy a second sub and run two or get a better sub and sell the 1000 i have 600.00 $ to spend room is 18 by 12 mostly for home theater, if i cant get rid of the 1000 might run it with the new sub , i looked at the jbl subs at best buy but my 1000 has more ass than they do thank you for your time

uncooked
07-11-2004, 11:40 PM
if its possible in the room i think 2 subs sound great if you can have one at the front and one in the back, and just turn the one in the backs volume down a bit compared to the front one and they sound good. a bit of tweeking to get it right.

chimera128
07-12-2004, 01:09 AM
I would use two subs, especially if your surrounds are incapable of full range. Use the new one for your LFE and use your existing one to route your rear surrounds through. Also, I wouldn't buy anything speaker-related from Best Buy.

F1
07-12-2004, 01:22 AM
I suggest to get rid of ps1000, get Hsu VTF/STF-3 or comparable model from SVS if you feel the need of lots of bass. Also get equalizer and spl meter for better setup if you have bass peaks problem. I actually have room size similar to yours and my VTF-2 is enough to fill the room with plenty of bass. Two subs in that room size are overkill imo.

Bryan
07-12-2004, 07:05 AM
A SVS 25-31PCi (retuned to 22Hz) would be an admirable performer in your room. If you have something other than your primary receiver readily available to power it with, look at the 25-31CS+. Other options include the Adire Audio Rava (least expensive) or HSU VTF-2. Look as well to the used and DIY markets to save some money.

This Guy
07-12-2004, 03:08 PM
And I'll suggest the partsexpress.com Titanic 12" kit. Similar to the Rava, but comes with a higher quality driver (arguabley), and it comes with a parametric EQ which you WILL use.

-Joey

cam
07-12-2004, 08:45 PM
And I'll suggest the partsexpress.com Titanic 12" kit. Similar to the Rava, but comes with a higher quality driver (arguabley), and it comes with a parametric EQ which you WILL use.

-Joey
I don't remember you having a picture by your name before. How do I get one. I know you might be thinking are you kidding, but really, I would like to add one to my name.

This Guy
07-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Yeah I just added it today. Go to "my profile" and then go to "edit avatar". Then just save a pic from google or something. You're probably going to need to edit the pick so that it's only 80 by 80 pixels. Use photoshop for that.

s dog
07-12-2004, 09:29 PM
I suggest to get rid of ps1000, get Hsu VTF/STF-3 or comparable model from SVS if you feel the need of lots of bass. Also get equalizer and spl meter for better setup if you have bass peaks problem. I actually have room size similar to yours and my VTF-2 is enough to fill the room with plenty of bass. Two subs in that room size are overkill imo.
thank you guys for your help , now where do i buy a equalizer,how much do they cost,are they hard to hook up,i have a spl meter, if i keep the 1000 and run it with the new one how do i deal with bass cancellation problems i hear poeple talk about on here all the time .i think i will have to really think this over real good before i buy ,

This Guy
07-12-2004, 09:52 PM
The EQ is the Behringer Feedback Destroyer. You can get it for $120 at Partsexpress.com among other sites. Now I'm not as educated as some of the other members on this board about subs, but if you want to avoid cancellation and want to run two subs the best is to stack them in a corner. Put one one top of the other and stick them in a corner, this will make the subs go atleast 6 dB louder than a single sub if not louder. Woochifer, Sir Terrance, and Richard Greene know alot about the Feedback destroyer and can help you out there.

F1
07-13-2004, 12:57 AM
Yes, Parts Express carry Behringer equalizer. You hook up between the subwoofer and receiver. Not sure if you have 2 subs, maybe split before equalizer if only one channel coming out from receiver. Left channel on EQ for Sub A and Right channel for Sub B. But one thing with Behringer EQ; it doesn't accept RCA jack, you have to use 1/4" TRS or XLR connection. Here's one of the model
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-724

Probably for the time being you can just measure several test tones for low frequency and see if you have bass peaks problem. If you don't then you may not need equalizer afterall. Oh btw, you may need to apply some correction factor for the SPL meter reading that is available on the net. Please do some Google search.

cam
07-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Yeah I just added it today. Go to "my profile" and then go to "edit avatar". Then just save a pic from google or something. You're probably going to need to edit the pick so that it's only 80 by 80 pixels. Use photoshop for that.
Thanks This Guy, what do you think?

This Guy
07-13-2004, 12:47 PM
sweeet

Woochifer
07-13-2004, 04:51 PM
A few notes on the Behringer Feedback Destroyer (or any comparable parametric EQ):

It's easily the best $120 you can spend on your system if you're using a subwoofer.

Since the parametric EQ is more of a secondary function on the BFD than its actual primary use, he thing is NOT user friendly at all. So, you should consult one of the many online guides that BFD users have put together. The one that I used while setting up my subwoofer was Sonny Parker's website (the downloadable spreadsheet posted on that site has the correction values for the Radio Shack analog SPL meter already entered):

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

Indeed you need to get adaptors from Radio Shack since the BFD only accepts XLR and 1/4" jacks.

kexodusc
07-14-2004, 04:00 AM
I'll second (or third or whatever we're up to now) the Titanic kit from Parts Express.
I recently built a 12" the same time that my friend built a 15". The 15" incidentally is the tightest sounding 15" woofer I've ever heard, though I haven't heard many in all honesty. I'd put the 12" up against $800-$1000 subs anyday (though it probably doesn't look as pretty).

My suggestion is get the most powerful sub amp you can afford though, or most powerful sub if you decide to buy a different model. After the Parametric EQ (which may improve your system alot, or very little) power is the most important thing for a subwoofer in my experience.
Better to have too much than not enough...