subwoofer and ohm question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer and ohm question

marky
07-10-2004, 07:46 PM
does ohm matter if im using a powered subwoofer? if my receiver is rated 8 ohms and my powered sub is at 4 ohms, will that over heat my receiver? i just got the yamaha rxv 2400. im asuming it doesnt matter because the sub uses its own amp.
thanks a head of time.

This Guy
07-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Yeah the sub has no effect on the receiver your fine.

cam
07-10-2004, 07:58 PM
does ohm matter if im using a powered subwoofer? if my receiver is rated 8 ohms and my powered sub is at 4 ohms, will that over heat my receiver? i just got the yamaha rxv 2400. im asuming it doesnt matter because the sub uses its own amp.
thanks a head of time.
Your powered sub is only drawing a signal and no power from your 2400 so it does not matter. The amp and speaker in your sub would be designed to work together perfectly.

markw
07-11-2004, 03:31 AM
Actually, a "powered" subwoofer generally has a lot higher input impedance than 4 ohms. The speaker outputs from your receiver are being fed into te high impedance input of a power amp.

But, It's always possible something new under the sun hass just been invented and I might be wrong. What powered sub do you have that claims a 4 ohm input impedance?

Geoffcin
07-11-2004, 04:58 AM
thanks a head of time.

Are you sending a line-level input into the sub, or powering it from your receivers amps? If it's a line level input (RCA jack) then the powered sub's resistance rating is useless information.

marky
07-11-2004, 07:19 PM
its the cheesy AR S8HO sub. im not sure if its 4ohms cause it doesnt say on the sub itself. But i found some info online saying its 4ohms or something like that. im thinking about getting the polk psw303 or 404. they recommend connecting using speaker wires to connect from the L and R channels to the input of the sub and then from the sub to the speakers. what kinna connection is that and does it draw power from the receiver? i currently have the AR s20 as fronts and the polk 6005 as the surrounds and center. im planning on getting another center. what do u guys think i should get? is there a way to connect two subs?