Milwaukee area anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee area anyone?

lbhkilla
07-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Is anyone out there in the Milwaukee, Waukesha, Brookfield area? I am living in Waukesha and working in Milwaukee and am wondering where there are audio stores. I know of one in Brown Deer that sells Paradigm and B&W, but I would like to check out some more different speakers before I buy.

Thanks

jimmymagick
07-11-2004, 09:00 AM
Years ago when I was dating a woman who lived in Milwaukee, I used to shop at a place called Flanner and Hafsoos.

I did a quick google and found that it's now just Flanners. (Website www.flanners.com)
Unfortunately the site doesn't list which brands of speakers they sell but might be worth a phonecall.

Good luck.

gonefishin
07-12-2004, 07:33 AM
Hmmm...I'm not too sure about speakers in the Wisconsin area. What speaker are you looking at so far? What speakers would you like to hear? What's the maximum number of miles you'll drive for an audition?

Unfortunately, Even some of the stores near where I live (south of Chicago) are either struggling or even closing. There are a couple in the Evanston, Il. area...and while my favorite in the Evanston area (Celestial Sounds) is closed, I think a few that are still open. If you would want to come down a bit further you could make it to the WoodRidge are there are two more stores you can visit...but this is starting to become a long drive.

What are you looking to get out of the pair of speakers? What are you looking for?

good luck...and take your time :)

have fun!

dan

lbhkilla
07-12-2004, 05:20 PM
I am looking very entry level. I want to either get 2 pair or speakers in the $200/pair range, or possibly spend $400 on one pair. So far all I have been able to audition are the chain stores, and one store that specialized in paradigm. There is one I know of that carries B&W near enough that I am going to make the trip one of these days. I don't really want to venture all the way to chicago, I just figured that Milwaukee being a big area would have some descent stores (and perhaps maybe some people on here that have been to one or two). I am almost set on getting something from the Paradigm dealer unless the B&W 303s or 600s (601s if I can talk them down a bit) sound better to me.

Hvostic
07-14-2004, 11:08 AM
If you are looking for high fidelity equipment stores on the south side of Chicago, try The Little Guys in Flossmore. I live on the north side of the city, near Evanston and go south for most of my equipment. I have been to every high fidelity store in the northern suburbs, but find better equipment, at better prices on the far south side.

jimmymagick
07-15-2004, 08:21 AM
I brought some Denon and Yamaha gear at Flanners in Milwaukee so I know they used to sell some good mid-range gear. Definitely save you a trip all the way down here to Chicago.

dean_martin
07-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey guys - I couldn't resist jumping in and saying how much my family and I enjoyed our recent trip to Illinois and Wisconsin. We spent a weekend in Rockford where my son attended a snare drum camp hosted by the Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps. While there, the rest of us took a day trip to Monroe and Madison, WI. We then spent a couple of days in Chicago before coming home. We had a great time, ate some great food (even had some cheese from Monroe shipped home) and everyone we met was friendly. My boys saw their first major league baseball game at Wrigley - Cubs vs. Cards! It was a trip to remember.

BTW, for $200 a pair you may be able to still find the Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones. Their original MSRP was $300, but the last price I saw was $199. They've been replaced by the EVO One. We have 2 other bookshelf speakers in the house - NHT SuperOnes and Polk RTi 25. I prefer the AEs especially for music - nice, big, warm sound. No need for a subwoofer if set up in a small room. For detail check out the Polk RTi28 or 38 which can be found in the chain stores. I've heard the Paradigm Titans which are in the lower end of your price range. I thought they sounded very good with a subwoofer. A couple of years ago the Paradigm minimonitor was often recommended in this price range. Haven't heard the B&W 303s or 601s, but have heard the 602s and thought they would be great speakers for rock and blockbuster action movies. Happy hunting.

lbhkilla
07-17-2004, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, I will try to check out those AEs, I'm sure they have a dealer somewhere around here.

On the trip note, next time you should go see northern wisconsin and upper michigan, the most beautiful place on earth.