Yes: Tales From Topographical Oceans (reissue review) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yes: Tales From Topographical Oceans (reissue review)

3-LockBox
07-10-2004, 11:29 AM
This is the first time for me hearing this album. After hearing the supposedly over-long 'Close To The Edge' song, I decided to pick this CD up for $14.99 at Circuit City. It is an aquired taste. Not as starkly different as <i>Relayer</i>, but plodding none the less. Not that it doesn't have its moments though. Some of <b>Yes'</b> finest moments on tape is here within this album, but I can see why many fans were polarized by it, since there is clearly nothing even radio friendly. Think 'Gates Of Delirium' times four without an up tempo, jazz work out or hook laden single. And nothing as gorgeous as 'Close To The Edge'.

After listening to it twice, I decided to give the bonus tracks a spin; two studio run-throughs here, 'Dance of The Dawn' and 'Giants Under The Sea'. The latter of the two is a pretty rough mix, with everyone trying to find their footing, and even Anderson doesn't seem to have his lyrics down yet. But 'Dance Of The Dawn is near brilliant; it is played in its entirety, with no over-dubs and no studio effects. But the musicianship is superb, with every instrument distinctly audible yet in sync with one another and Anderson's vocals are clear, yet raw and quavering. This adds a sense of depth that seems to be missing from the final cut, and this run-throught is almost two minutes longer to boot. This is easily my favorite track on the whole album. Yes, the soundscape isn't as textured as the final cut but its a blast to hear it done like this, without crowd noise.

The remaster sounds pretty good I guess, never having heard an early incarnation of this album, but I wished the guys doing these remasters weren't vinylphiles, cuz I like music with a little more punch than these re-re-remastered reissues. Oh well, I guess that's what Goldwave is for.

I feel funny recommending this album since this is a re-re-issue, but if you haven't already bought this album three time over, you might enjoy it, if you are a true believer of <b>Yes</b>.

BarryL
07-10-2004, 04:00 PM
I've always loved the start and end of side one. Side one starts with Anderson's soliloqy and the rising tension in the background, leading to release and the beautiful flowing music that follows. Side four begins with the very pretty Nous Som De Soleil. I've always loved Tales, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. It still is amazing to me how angry people got over this album. Imagine that artists were criticized for being creative! I'm glad that they had the courage to continue on to produce the monumental Relayer album given that Wakeman abandoned them to do his solo thing.

3-LockBox
07-11-2004, 02:48 PM
I've always loved the start and end of side one.

But I really like the studio run-through better than the original

Do you know what I mean?

Do you have the new reissues?

BarryL
07-11-2004, 03:38 PM
I have the re-issue, but I'm on the road and don't have access to it. I can't even remember if I listened to the run throughs yet.