vintage Rabco ST7 adjustments [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : vintage Rabco ST7 adjustments

philramin
07-10-2004, 12:45 AM
Hello! I'm trying to adjust a tangential ST7/ harman Kardon deck. Two questions:
The little roller under the arm creaks from time to time (you can hear the "rubber type" noise through the loudspeakers), though the carriage moves perfectly and with accuracy on any program.
What is the little regulating screw (behind the carriage) exa :( ctly made for?
Many thanks (and I apologize for my english)...
Phil

hifitommy
07-10-2004, 10:06 AM
asylum at audioasylum.com. its a nicely active forum and you are likely to get an intelligent answer.

trollgirl
07-10-2004, 06:32 PM
...and here's my experience. First, I had trouble with the auto-return mechanism. In the end, I ripped it out, thinking that particular part was not well designed. I was used to full-manual turntables anyway, no big loss. Then I made the mistake of loaning it to my ex-wife, and when I got it back it did not work properly. I must have been in a bad mood that day, because I ripped out the whole arm mechanism. Maybe it did just need some adjustments, but I think I was under a lot of pressure in those days. I have been told that the ST7 is capable of world-class performance, but needs a lot of TLC. If you need parts, or the all-important belts e-mail me at: dedib@sbcglobal.net

Just pay me back for the shipping...

Laz

hifitommy
07-10-2004, 06:54 PM
i had the st4.horse of a different feather. i did however take it apart, replace parts, make adjustments. it takes patience. i also had to do a replacement of rubber parts on my phase linear 8000a (actually a pioneer) because a supposedly reliable repair center couldnt handle it.

having tried to replace the belt on my tandberg tcd300 cassette deck, i know that some things arent possible and MUST be handled by experienced service techs.

and yes, parts are a major consideration when it comes to vintage pieces like this. its unfortunate that the 7 and 8 happened when cd was being born. i actually saw a modified st7 that had an arm that looked like swiss cheese. holes drilled ever few centimeters and in all circumferential directions. analog was almost in a rapid advancement period when vinyl went away.

back to the st4 for a moment. my friend was in possession of an st4 and an SL8E arm. he stripped the st4 arm away, and mounted the sl8e to it. the wow and flutter decreased dramatically because the long o ring drive belt for the stock st4 arm was eliminated. its rather a frankenstein but still a viable tt.

unfortunately, he discarded the clamshell dustcover for it and i was heartily pist because i ended up with the table. different priorities.