recommended competition for Monitor 7's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : recommended competition for Monitor 7's

shaemus
07-09-2004, 10:29 PM
I am considering the Paradigm Monitor 7s but have not yet bought them. I thought before I did I would check to see if any of you would recommend I listen to other speakers in that price range. I would also invite any comment from others who have used these speakers. I am using a Marantz sr5300.

psonic
07-10-2004, 02:29 AM
If I am not mistaken, that speaker is around $600 US. At that price (recently I shopped extensively) I found the Energy Connoisseur C-5 to be the best floor stander. If the Energy dealer is a little higher than Paradigm, he would probably match the price if you buy. They are a fantastic speaker for the money...also worth mentioning would be KEF (cool new curved cabinets like the paradigm signature series!), Boston, B&W & Monitor audio. The jewel in this price range though, is the C-5. Aside from sounding great, It is amplifier friendly @ 93db 8ohm, so receivers or low power amps will not break a sweat making them loud. Go listen and see for yourself!

http://www.energyloudspeakers.com/connoisseur/connoisseur_speakers1_c-5.html

find reviews on the right under quicklinks..

N. Abstentia
07-10-2004, 04:50 AM
Yeah, the B&W 600 series are very similar.

Pat D
07-10-2004, 05:46 AM
I found the Energy Connoisseur C-5 to be the best floor stander.

The jewel in this price range though, is the C-5. Aside from sounding great, It is amplifier friendly @ 93db 8ohm, so receivers or low power amps will not break a sweat making them loud. Go listen and see for yourself!

http://www.energyloudspeakers.com/connoisseur/connoisseur_speakers1_c-5.html

find reviews on the right under quicklinks..I have heard the C-3 and briefly the C-9 and they are quite nice speakers. I should point out that the Energy site gives the sensitivity figure for a reverberant field and both speakers. The anechoic sensitivity would undoubtedly be considerably less. I couldn't verify this for this particular model but I could for the C-3 and C-9 on the Soundstage site and the difference is about 5 dB.

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/speakermeasurements/

http://www.energyloudspeakers.com/connoisseur/connoisseur_speakers1_spec.html

The minimum impedance is given as 4 ohms. This doesn't add up to a speaker that's all that hard to drive, but it does require a reasonably good amplifier.

There is no reason to suppose that Energy's sensitivity figures are inaccurate, it's just that they use a different method from the usual anechoic sensitivity, and they can't be directly compared to them.

cam
07-10-2004, 08:13 AM
I am considering the Paradigm Monitor 7s but have not yet bought them. I thought before I did I would check to see if any of you would recommend I listen to other speakers in that price range. I would also invite any comment from others who have used these speakers. I am using a Marantz sr5300.
Also you should consider the monitor 5's as competion. All the same speakers but in a standmount design. There have been guys on this forum like Woochifer who prefered the studio 40's over the studio 60's. The 40's and the 60's is the same situation as the 5's and 7's.

N. Abstentia
07-10-2004, 08:21 AM
I definitely prefer a standmount over a floorstander. I've never understood the need for a floorstander, but to each his own I guess!

AZHT
07-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Are you going to be pairing a sub with them? If so, check out the Paradigm Studio 20's. Only slightly more money. If not, maybe look at the Monitor 9's to be able to handle the lows a bit better.

topspeed
07-10-2004, 09:41 AM
All good suggestions so far. You might also want to listen to the Athena F2, PSB 5T, Castle Pembroke (on sale at AudioAdvisor), NHT SB2 or 3, and if you are decent at negotiating, Von Schweikert's VR1.

A lot of good stuff at your price point. Have fun!

RGA
07-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Since you're in Canada then I will add the C5 from Energy in the floorstander department.

I prefer the monitor 5 to the 7 (I don't particularly think either are very good) but hey that's why there's lots of choice.

If you're in Burnaby take a trip down to Seymour in Vancouver and check out Hi Fi Center - right besoide A&B sound. Then on Burrard right near the Burrard Street Bridge is Commercial Electronics - these are to of the upscale dealers in Vancouver and they carry Good gear but also a selection of used gear. Your dollar may go significantly farther in such stores as compared to AudioVideo Unlimited. They sell high end gear but both carry very affordable lines as well - and you may find a lot better than the monitors for the same or maybe less money. It's been a couple years since I've been to either place so I don't know what they're carrying but they did caryr JM Labs, B&W, Monitor Audio, Martin Logan, PMC etc.

07-10-2004, 10:26 AM
BURNABY!
Yo! I'm your neighbour! Live by Brentwood area by any chance?
Of course, you can also go to A+B. They carry Energy, Mission, Totem. AB is a chain store, but you can talk them down significantly. I talked down their C1 standmount to 238 cdn. Never bought them though.
Kef, mentioned before is available at Commercial Electronics as is JMlabs, B+O, system audio, Boston and others. Last time I was at Commercial electronics, I said I didnt really prefer the JMlabs and the dealer got personally offended and started implying I had no taste. Some dealer eh?
If you want B+W though, dont go to HiFi Centre. Audition them there, but dont buy there. I know a cheaper place, Westminster Stereo in Lansdowne mall. Easier to bargain a price from these guys. Hifi centre couldnt match the price of Westminster stereo after discounts.

RGA
07-10-2004, 10:57 AM

Hey do you remember what the basic Kit one costs - I have been comparing prices to other kits - but this one has a volume control. Also do you know what the rough equivelant of the Kit one is supposed to be to their regular line? I have August to goof around and a nice litle project might be good.

07-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Well...Brian is a strange guy...he has changed the price on the kit1 about 4 times now. The list price is 1350USD for the standard at the moment. Price is negotiable though. Pretty expensive. This price includes Jensen Caps, Bryslag resistors, EH tubes (or the last time I asked anyways), AN TXs, and some other goodies. Even the stock standard uses decent electronic parts. As the website mentions, it's no feedback, directly heated, class A set and blahblahblah. On first look it may seem very similar to the conquerer or whatever the L3 product is. I have checked the circuit diagrams and they are a little different, hence not the same. But the beauty of the kit is the upgradability. You can even go as far as upgrading to the AN trans-300, which is a higher level tx than the stock. After upgrading the OPT and other components (and tubes), I imagine that the grade of the kit would exceed that of the L3 product.

I imagine you will be able to find cheaper kits such as the DYI supply ones (ella, basie, etc) and the world audio ones. However, remember that these kits are based in Canada, which means that you dont have to pay those nasty duty taxes or whatever. GST, however, is a must. The kit looks easy enough to build as long as you know how to solder. Tools you will need to make it look nice are soldering pen/iron, needle nose pliers, side cutters, wet sponge (for cleaning the burnt resin left on pen). You could do it without the pliers and cutters and sponge, but if you are gonna do a job, you might as well do it nicely right? Unfortunately, this project may last you as little as a day or 2. Cuz once you start, you wont want to stop until you complete it (plus its just so fun). Unless, of course you wanna spend a few weeks to do some personal tweaks. However, maybe people like us better understand how a SET circuit works first.

RGA
07-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Yeah that's just it I am not an electronics engineer - and it has been 13 years since I've touched a soldering iron and that was in Grade 11 or 12 basics Electronics class. I sure don't want to spend $1350.00US to PRACTICE my soldering skill. I would rather practice on something really cheap and if I screw up it's no big deal. But then I don't want to spend on something real cheap that when I finish I'll have no use for it.

I was consideing a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp to practice on since it's only $150.00US.

07-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Go for it!
It'll be lots of fun and soldering is easy to get the hang of again.
Something you dont really forget no matter how long it's been. Kinda like riding a bike. You might screw up your first connection, but that's about it.
I'm getting the preamp kit too, cuz I have no phono stage for me turntable.

Would you like me to send you some pictures after I'm completed my projects?

Jimmy C
07-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Yeah that's just it I am not an electronics engineer - and it has been 13 years since I've touched a soldering iron and that was in Grade 11 or 12 basics Electronics class. I sure don't want to spend $1350.00US to PRACTICE my soldering skill. I would rather practice on something really cheap and if I screw up it's no big deal. But then I don't want to spend on something real cheap that when I finish I'll have no use for it.

I was consideing a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp to practice on since it's only $150.00US.

If you feel like burning up $150 AND practice your soldering skills, why not build the BR1 kit? Jimmy thinks you'll like them. Besides, you once stated your parents needed a pair... not a bad gift.

Just an idea, but yeah, I'm also curious about the Bottlehead stuff...

shaemus
07-10-2004, 12:28 PM
I appreciate your feedback since you know the stores in town. That's great. I will definitely check out Commercial Elect., Hi-Fi and Westminster since I haven't been there yet.

Ya I'm just down the street from you 92135011. I'm just on the other side of the Willingdon overpass from Brentwood.

Some of the names you guys have mentioned I have not yet heard. So I'll do abit more homework.

Regarding floorstanders vs standmounted: I'm leaning towards the floorstanders since if I anchor them near the wall I won't worry as much about the topple factor with kids(compared to standmounts).

I was under the impression that as the cabinet size got bigger within a particular line that the overall sound and range improved also. That certainly seemed to be the case with the Monitor series when I listened. I'm curious why N. Abstentia prefers the standmounted and what it was that RGA liked better about the monitor 5?

RGA
07-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Go for it!
It'll be lots of fun and soldering is easy to get the hang of again.
Something you dont really forget no matter how long it's been. Kinda like riding a bike. You might screw up your first connection, but that's about it.
I'm getting the preamp kit too, cuz I have no phono stage for me turntable.

Would you like me to send you some pictures after I'm completed my projects?

Definitely - post em on here. For a phono stage you can get the Little Rat as a tide me over - they are very good phono stages sold at Radio Shack - run off of a 9v battery and for $~40.00Cdn you'll be more than impressed. Considering that NAD has one into the ~$200.00 range that's no better IMO then the Little Rat can be considered one of the rare Giant killers.

I can use my Sugden as a preamp. I may try and listen to the kit made by soundhounds first - and compare it against the Soro SE. The Audio Note amps have 10 year transferable warranties - so that will impact whether I buy a used Soro or build the Kit - though Peter I believe said the kit was better and cheaper than either the Soro or the Oto - so we'll see.

RGA
07-10-2004, 02:49 PM
I appreciate your feedback since you know the stores in town. That's great. I will definitely check out Commercial Elect., Hi-Fi and Westminster since I haven't been there yet.

Ya I'm just down the street from you 92135011. I'm just on the other side of the Willingdon overpass from Brentwood.

Some of the names you guys have mentioned I have not yet heard. So I'll do abit more homework.

Regarding floorstanders vs standmounted: I'm leaning towards the floorstanders since if I anchor them near the wall I won't worry as much about the topple factor with kids(compared to standmounts).

I was under the impression that as the cabinet size got bigger within a particular line that the overall sound and range improved also. That certainly seemed to be the case with the Monitor series when I listened. I'm curious why N. Abstentia prefers the standmounted and what it was that RGA liked better about the monitor 5?

Simply that the monitor line is cheap. To be fair most are - but the reason a lot of standmounts sound better is because there is less box. Most speakers try to DAMPEN unwanted resonances but on cheaper floorstanders not using good woods will resonate - the more cheap wood the more it resonates and it muddies the midrange(vocals) etc. Now how much you can put up with is another matter and I can't tell you that.

The B&W 602S3 is also IMO better than the bigger and more expensive floorstander in the 603S3 and the 604S3. But of course you might wonder then why would anyone buy the floorstanding model? Part of that is your reason - not wanting to buy stands - and the other thing is that floorstanders can typically play DEEPER and louder than their standmount counterparts.

If you're building a H/T then you will need a subwoofer anyway so I would look at the B&W 602S3 because it offers considerable bass which to me seems more realistic than the Monitor 7 which is punchy but thin.

The best thing you can do is not pay attention to reviews or salesman techno babble. Going into Soundhounds in Victoria they only needed to say you gotta try these and let you listen for as long as you wish - if the sound doesn't sell you - then what's the advertising and reviews going to do for you? Except help you get rid of them in 6 months for half what you paid(if you're lucky).

Some Standmounts can be drilled into the stand - and blu tak anchors a standmount to the stand very well

RGA
07-10-2004, 03:26 PM
If you feel like burning up $150 AND practice your soldering skills, why not build the BR1 kit? Jimmy thinks you'll like them. Besides, you once stated your parents needed a pair... not a bad gift.

Just an idea, but yeah, I'm also curious about the Bottlehead stuff...

That's a good idea actually. Since I need rear speakers for a home theater and there is no match for my Wharfedale's anyway why not this kit? Even has a soft dome tweeter. I saved the link so in early august I may look into it. Hey one could buy 3 sets and the Titanic Subwoofer for home theater and all for under $1k.

There is an equivelant in Canada for cheap kits which I might try - even the US price is cheap on some so you guys may want to give them a look. http://www.creativesound.ca/products.php?make=CSS&category=Kits

07-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Definitely - post em on here. For a phono stage you can get the Little Rat as a tide me over - they are very good phono stages sold at Radio Shack - run off of a 9v battery and for $~40.00Cdn you'll be more than impressed. Considering that NAD has one into the ~$200.00 range that's no better IMO then the Little Rat can be considered one of the rare Giant killers.

I can use my Sugden as a preamp. I may try and listen to the kit made by soundhounds first - and compare it against the Soro SE. The Audio Note amps have 10 year transferable warranties - so that will impact whether I buy a used Soro or build the Kit - though Peter I believe said the kit was better and cheaper than either the Soro or the Oto - so we'll see.

if you like the OTO SE, then the kit4 may fit your fancy. The OTO, a integrated of M1 and P1SE I think. The kit looks exactly like the P1 SE and is likely very similar and also has a nifty volume control.

The preamp uses an RIAA phono. Not sure what RIAA means though...if you can explain that would be great - thanks.

cam
07-10-2004, 04:07 PM

The monitor 7's cabinet is very solidly built. There is absolutely no cabinet resonating problem at all. I have the 7's, and they are great performers. Now the Phantams in the performance line you may have cabinet resonating problems. Get the 7's, no need for added costs for stands, they go louder, deeper, and do it all with no resonating at all. Just rap on the side of it and then rap on the phantam, you will be able to tell just how solid they are.

RGA
07-11-2004, 08:34 AM
if you like the OTO SE, then the kit4 may fit your fancy. The OTO, a integrated of M1 and P1SE I think. The kit looks exactly like the P1 SE and is likely very similar and also has a nifty volume control.

The preamp uses an RIAA phono. Not sure what RIAA means though...if you can explain that would be great - thanks.

RIAA I thought stood for Recording Industry Association of America - to let you know it was recorded via this outfit. - What it means on the phono I have never bothered to look up. I think it is something to meet a standard set by the RIAA - perhaps like ISO9000 (but definitely not the same thing)

Hey I just plug and play