Help on setting DVD Denon 2900 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help on setting DVD Denon 2900

Triad
07-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Ok. First of all, my english is not impressive, so I hope you can understand what I say.
I have a DVD Denon 2900, an AV receiver Harmann Kardon AVR520, 4 Bowers & Wilkins DM603 S3, 1 B&W center series 600 and 1 Infinity SW.
The set up (as DENON recommends) is complete, I put both digital connections (coax and opt) in the right way for DVD video in order to decoding Dolby and DTS in the AVR520, and i put the three pair of RCA connections to the direct 6CH output/input connections for SACD and DVD audio and release the Denon 2900 from the excessive digital sign decoding and to optimize the analog sign sent it to the 6 Ch output (as Denon recommends).
In order to maintain this recommendation I select the DVD mode to use the DVD video and to decode with the internal decoders of the AVR.
To use de SACD and the DVD Audio I put the AVR in the 6CH direct mode and I set the PURE MODE on the Denon 2900 to disconnect the digital signal process in order to achieve a better analog sign ant to improve the sound quality.
The mode DVD in the AVR520 have digital input from both coaxial or optical connections, so i can setting the loudspeakers with the SPL integrated in the remote of the AVR520 for the DTS and Dolby decoding process, (no problem with that)
The mode 6CH Direct in the AVR520 have the six channel connections, so I need to set the louspeakers without SPL meter (because now the set signal sound comes from the DVD2900) so I can do one of two things I guess:

1.- To let the signal DB from the 2900 in 0db and adjust the level from the AVR (taking one of the custom settings that i have done with the SPL) for example in 5db for front channels, 6db for center and SW and 5 for Surround channels. or
2.- The contrary, all the channels of the AVR on 0db and the DVD2900 in the mentioned custom setting .
QUESTION: Is that posible? do i need an external SPL for setting them correctly? what do you recommend me?

Thanks in advice.
Francisco Bonilla.

N. Abstentia
07-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Just curious as to why you're using both optical and coax, and even more curious as to why you're using EITHER of them when you have the 6 channel already connected??

Triad
07-12-2004, 06:02 AM
The fact is I have to use the coax or the optical (one at the time) for de digital transmitting from the Denon 2900 in case i want to use DVD-Video (Denon recommends it:
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DVD2900%20Audio%20Setup%20Tips%2060903.pdf )
And the 6ch direct is recommend it for SACD and DVD-audio in order to decode the DSD signal and to transmit it in analog way.

N. Abstentia
07-12-2004, 10:49 AM
So why not use the 6 channel for DVD-Video? It SHOULD sound better.

Triad
07-14-2004, 11:35 AM
I agree with you, but I try to understand the recommendations that Denon made in one document for settings tips:
"The following setup guidelines are recommended for the DVD-2900 player to work to its fullest potential in the playback of DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD material as well as DVD-Video material (if you are using the internal Dolby Digital and dts decoders of the DVD-2900). These settings do not affect signals going to the digital outputs.

DENON recommends using the Dolby Digital/dts decoders in your receiver/processor for DVD-Video material by means of either a coaxial or optical digital connection from the DVD-2900. This allows you calibrate your receiver/processor in a normal fashion, or as you would do for any DVD-Video player. Depending our your particular receiver/processor you will then need to switch from a digital signal input from the DVD-2900 (DVD-V material) to the External Inputs for DVD-Audio and/or Super Audio CD to calibrate the DVD-2900’s decoders.

BUT
In the owners manual on the settings section I can read this:
"With the DVD-2900, we recommend turning the digital output off and only outputting analog signals in order to keep interference from the digital output circuitry to the minimum and allow you to enjoy high bit, high sampling frequency, high quality multi-channel sound."
So.. ¿it is a contradiction?
I know you recommend the 6CH direct.. but ¿what would you do?

Ivanhoensandiego
08-07-2004, 07:39 PM
I just aquired a used Denon 2900 and it sounds substantially better than my basic Sony DVP-S330 first generation DTS DVD player using DTS-logo merchandised disks. However, the Denon on non red label DTS-logo merchandised DTS discs doesn't list the DTS playback option on these disks. My old Sony would, although it required me to select it via the disc menu to playback in DTS mode.

Having it playback in basic Dolby digital mode verse DTS is night and day. Have I neglected to do something in setup? :confused: