6-cable analog audio switch? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 6-cable analog audio switch?

bag
07-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Hi all. I'm finally hooking up my PC to the home theater for some big-screen gaming, and I'm running into some audio interconnect issues.

1. My sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy 2) has effectively 2 sets of outputs - one digital out that only sends 16-bit instead of 24-bit (lame), and analog outs for each of the discrete speaker channels, so I prefer to use these analog outs for 5.1.
2. My receiver (Rotel RSX-965) has ONE set of analog 5.1 inputs, and that's already in use by my DVD-A/SACD player.

So as I see it, I've got five options, but it's the last one that is greatly preferred:
* Suck it up and deal with the 16-bit 5.1 from the PC.
* Unplug and replug the 2 sets of 6 RCA cables every time I want to switch between DVD-A/SACD and PC sound.
* Buy a new sound card.
* Buy a new receiver.
* Find an external audio switch that can switch between two (or more) sets of 6 analog inputs.

Anyone know of any vendors/devices that meet this need? So far I've called around to all the local audio shops to no avail, and only found one online vendor of unknown repute (http://www.switch-box.com). Many thanks for any help...

-B

Monstrous Mike
07-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Hi all. I'm finally hooking up my PC to the home theater for some big-screen gaming, and I'm running into some audio interconnect issues.

1. My sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy 2) has effectively 2 sets of outputs - one digital out that only sends 16-bit instead of 24-bit (lame), and analog outs for each of the discrete speaker channels, so I prefer to use these analog outs for 5.1.
2. My receiver (Rotel RSX-965) has ONE set of analog 5.1 inputs, and that's already in use by my DVD-A/SACD player.

So as I see it, I've got five options, but it's the last one that is greatly preferred:
* Suck it up and deal with the 16-bit 5.1 from the PC.
* Unplug and replug the 2 sets of 6 RCA cables every time I want to switch between DVD-A/SACD and PC sound.
* Buy a new sound card.
* Buy a new receiver.
* Find an external audio switch that can switch between two (or more) sets of 6 analog inputs.

Anyone know of any vendors/devices that meet this need? So far I've called around to all the local audio shops to no avail, and only found one online vendor of unknown repute (http://www.switch-box.com). Many thanks for any help...

-B
I have a couple of comments.

1. I doubt that the 16 bit digital signal will sound that bad. Perhaps you could compare it to the six channel analog output to see if you can hear a difference.

2. As far as a switch box, I don't see why you can use two common A/V switches like this one: http://www.smarthome.com/8278sr2.HTML. There is nothing fancy about these switches and I don't think the signal matters whether video or audio. It's just a mechnical switch to pick an input. I would be cheaper than the one in the link you provided (which looks like some guy who makes them in his basement although making one yourself could also be an option).

uncooked
07-09-2004, 09:35 AM
you could just buy some Y adapters as well. the kind that takes two and puts it into one, then you could play either one. but not at the same time. but you wont do that anyways.

Y adapters are cheap to.

bag
07-09-2004, 10:55 AM
I have a couple of comments.

1. I doubt that the 16 bit digital signal will sound that bad. Perhaps you could compare it to the six channel analog output to see if you can hear a difference.

2. As far as a switch box, I don't see why you can use two common A/V switches like this one: http://www.smarthome.com/8278sr2.HTML. There is nothing fancy about these switches and I don't think the signal matters whether video or audio. It's just a mechnical switch to pick an input. I would be cheaper than the one in the link you provided (which looks like some guy who makes them in his basement although making one yourself could also be an option).

As for #2, my sincere thanks for pointing out the kludgy-but-obvious. :) A lot cheaper than the basement-made model, and quite effective!