Need Good Floorstanding Speaker's For.Denon Avr 3803 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Good Floorstanding Speaker's For.Denon Avr 3803

d_98se
07-09-2004, 12:59 AM
My Klipsch SB-3's are just not cutting it anymore.I will stay away from the budget question until i see something i like thank's.

N. Abstentia
07-09-2004, 04:07 AM
Just curious..why floorstanders and not a stand mount bookshelf?

psonic
07-09-2004, 09:32 AM
what price range?

I'd say for starters try to listen to Dynaudio 62 or 72, Vienna Bach, Totem acoustics, Energy Connoisseur C-5 and Kef Q5. These are IMO a great improvement over the klipsch pair you have. I personally think B&W are a bit overrated and overpriced, you'll have to listen and see. If you are looking for the absolute best bang for the buck I would say Energy. Go to the websites and find the closest dealers and start auditioning! The next thing you'll want to attack for improved stereo sound is an external amplifier on the 3808, for a few hundred $ you could experiment with something from ebay or audiogon.

drseid
07-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I will stay away from the budget question until i see something i like thank's.
If we don't have a budget, then it is difficult to recommend anything... I could easily recommend a great speaker like the Legacy Audio Helix at $40,000 a pair, but I doubt you are looking for that kind of price range with the receiver you are driving them with...

Some general recommendations (although I am not sure if a receiver is optimal to drive any of these floor standers)...:

Legacy Classics ($1300/pr. used at Audiogon). Full range sound down to the low 20's that is perfect for rock and other low bass applications. They have a great mid-range too. Good for medium sized rooms. Good drivers including Eton kevlar mids, and a nice ribbon super-tweeter.

Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7U (June special $2850/pr. new direct from Tyleracoustics.com). Uses the same drivers as my own Tyler stand mounted speakers (Seas Excel metallic coated mid/bass and the Scanspeak 9900 Revelator tweeter)... except the 7U has 2 Seas drivers per speaker in a floorstanding design instead of the 1 in the Taylo Reference Monitors I have... Tremendous value for the money as these drivers are very expensive. This should be a good match for a medium sized room. If you have a smaller room, then maybe the Tyler Linbrook Floorstand Monitor ($2400/pr.) is a better fit. Ty is a great to work with as well (VERY honest). Bass for these goes down to the mid-thirties...

Other potential candidates for mid-sized rooms could include the Gallo Nucleus Reference III (approximately $2600/pr. at your local dealer), or if these are all too pricey for you, then maybe Onix Rocket or Reference Loudspeakers (various prices available at av123.com). Onix should provide a very good bang for the buck.

For larger rooms, you might look at the Legacy Focus ($2500/pr. used). I don't really recommend driving these with a receiver though... but I have seen it done before with some success...

Happy Listening,

---Dave

Bryan
07-09-2004, 11:03 AM
What is it about the Klipsch that you do not like and are causing you to want to change speakers?

d_98se
07-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Thank's for the replies gentlemen.

The klipsch are okay but am scared of burning them out with the 3803.

Reason why i want floorstander's is because i went to a friend's party and he had these Kenwood's from the early '90s with 15'' woofer's. We hooked them up to the 3803 and played them for 6 hour's at close to max vol and they were great.Only concern was the 3803 being warm to the touch.

As they say there's no replacement for displacement. :)

chimera128
07-10-2004, 01:14 AM
If they are ok I would just keep them until you burn them out. If you want actual suggestions post a budget.

Buzz Roll
07-10-2004, 12:49 PM
You could also try a powered sub (even better, get two and run them in stereo, just like the monitors). That might take some pressure off the speakers and amp.

If you want to step up to floor standers, get ready to lay down some dough. If you spend the same that you did on the monitors, you'll have more bass and less of everything else. I personally like floorstanders better - I don't like looking at stands - and I'd rather put the money towards a bigger box. Some nice suggestions above.

Insead of running them into the ground, I would sell the monitors on eBay, atleast get a little money for them, and start enjoying your new and improved system earlier than later.

Bryan
07-12-2004, 08:28 AM
The klipsch are okay but am scared of burning them out with the 3803.

Your ears will give before they do. Klipsch tend to be highly effecient. I noticed you said nothing about the way they sound. This tells me you enjoy the Klispch sound but want:

Reason why i want floorstander's is because i went to a friend's party and he had these Kenwood's from the early '90s with 15'' woofer's. We hooked them up to the 3803 and played them for 6 hour's at close to max vol and they were great.Only concern was the 3803 being warm to the touch.

more bass. Kenwoods, even from the early 90s, tend to be boomy. Boomy bass isn't necessarily good bass as frequencies from 35Hz - 63Hz will be exaggerated. For example, a pair of KLH 9915s will sound as if they have more bass than a SVS 20-39 but the 20-39 will produce higher quality and you will hear individual bass notes rather than a resounding rumble. Your ears may need to adjust to the higher quality. That statement can be true of any of the better subs on the market today.

I want you to buy the right thing for what you want. Here is where new floorstanding speakers will not be what you truly want and desire. What is your potential budget for a new subwoofer and what size room will it be going in? New floorstanders are nice. I even have a pair now that sounds better than my old speakers did for music. For more powerful bass I would have to look elsewhere in the form of a sub.