Yamaha Receiver (HTR5760)- volume question (differences in CD, DVD, TV) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Receiver (HTR5760)- volume question (differences in CD, DVD, TV)

Eric Z
07-08-2004, 07:39 AM
I hooked up my Yamaha 5760 last night and I'm quite impressed with the improvement in sound over my older Sony receiver. However, I have a few questions surrounding these newer, higher tech receivers.

The volume control on my Sony was the type that had the mark on volume knob so you knew how high the volume was. Of course my new receiver displays dBs- I think the range is -80dB to 15dB. With my Mirage FRX5 fronts and my Def Tech PS80 sub and a basic DVD player, I can play some music/movies pretty loud where everything sounds great. I've read before that volumes generally cannot go past 1/2 on your receiver because that's how they are made (there's a previous post somewhere that goes into the specifics). Anyway, on some CDs, I'm able to go to -9 or -8dB and on some DVDs go to +2 or +3dB. I know it is loud to my ears, but is that normal to go that high in volume, or should -25 or 20dB be very loud. Logically, that's more than 1/2 on the volume, but I might not understand dBs fully. I think it depends what one considers loud. I'm just wondering if everything is working properly with my set up. I also think different formats (various DVDs or CDs) are recorded at different volumes. Is that a fair assumption?

I've experienced with my older Sony receiver if I don't connect something correctly, the sounds will be much quieter (meaning must turn the volume higher than usual to get the same level of sound).

Thank you thank you thank you!

Debbi
07-08-2004, 02:34 PM
at minus 9, you would suspect that your are at 3/4 volume but actually, you are at half volume at 0 on these units....and if you think about it, remembering -9 is actually easier than remembering that the appropriate volume on a given source was "somewhere between 9 0'clock and 11 o'clock...but you are right, almost everyone making the transition to digital volume controls is haunted by the thought that they got a defective low powered unit....I have both on old and new Yamahas, so I know exactly what prompted your question.

Bryan
07-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Get yourself a calibration dvd and an analog SPL meter from Radio Shack. Another thing you should do, if you already haven't, is use the YPAO feature on the 5760 and set the microphone up in the listening position. If nothing else, a sound meter will tell you what volume level you enjoy listening to music. Ignore the -85 to 15db readings for the receivers volume. Most receivers now operate on a linear scale, meaning the volume (dbs) goes up exponentially as you turn the volume up. Or, to put it in English, from -85 to -20 may be on the quiet side. -20 to -10 will be noticeably louder. -10 to 0 is around reference levels (75dbs as calibrated with Video Essentials and 85dbs as calibrated with Avia.) 0 to 15 is above reference. Those numbers are in no way exact but give you an idea of it.

Eric Z
07-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info. Bryan!

Regarding YPAO, I can't use it yet because the store I bought the receiver from had to order a new microphone (that was part of the reason I was able to get the receiver for $325 USD). The microphone will arrive in about a week or so and then I can mess around with it. I do not yet have a 5.1 system. Is it worth it to use YPAO just to configure my fronts and sub? Just wondering.

Additionally, is it true that it is normal for some CDs or DVD to be recorded at different volumes? What I mean by that is I can be listening to a CD at -15dB and it will be really loud, but then a DVD won't be loud until I reach -5dB. Just curious.

I am learning tons about audio equipment.

I appreciate your input!

Thanks.
Eric

mtrycraft
07-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Bryan!

Regarding YPAO, I can't use it yet because the store I bought the receiver from had to order a new microphone (that was part of the reason I was able to get the receiver for $325 USD). The microphone will arrive in about a week or so and then I can mess around with it. I do not yet have a 5.1 system. Is it worth it to use YPAO just to configure my fronts and sub? Just wondering.

Additionally, is it true that it is normal for some CDs or DVD to be recorded at different volumes? What I mean by that is I can be listening to a CD at -15dB and it will be really loud, but then a DVD won't be loud until I reach -5dB. Just curious.

I am learning tons about audio equipment.

I appreciate your input!

Thanks.
Eric

As Bryan indicated, equip yourself with some objective tools, SPL meter and a test DVD which can also calibrate your TV. :)

The numbers on your receiver only applies to it, not to Sony or anything else. CDs are usually mastered at a higher average sound level than DVD movies are. Classical music is different to give you a wide dynamic range, much more than many other CDs.
Same applies to other sound inputs that are played at different levels from CD or DVD. Nothing is the same.

Bryan
07-12-2004, 07:33 AM
With regards to YPAO, it is my experience it will not work with anything less than 5.1. I could be mistaken, but this is with the weekend experience of my RX-V650 (5760 equivalent). You will manually have to set the fronts and sub and that is where you will want to use a SPL meter and calibration dvd. CDs and DVDs are mastered at different levels. For example, Toy Story isn't recorded at the same level as Lord of the Rings. Sometimes you will have to turn the volume up and other times down to get it where you like it. The caibration will help you have a baseline and you can fine tune from there.