Need DVD player advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need DVD player advice

mikeale
12-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Purchased a new 50" Samsung TV and now am told I need a progressive scan DVD player. Do not have a lot of money to spend since the TV was expensive. Any recommendations? The sales person is trying to sale me on a Samsung HD931 that requires the purchase of a $100 DVI cable. This would bring the total to around $400. Would I be better off to buy some other $400 brand and use component hookups that I already own? Of course would like best picture and sound possible. Taking all suggestions. Thanks

GaToy
12-03-2003, 11:18 AM
If your wanting a good player for a decent price, go with the Pioneer 563A DVD player. I just got the 667A which is the same player and the sound and picture are great. Especially for the price. Check out the reviews. Almost all that have bought one love it. Plus it plays SACD's and DVD Audio disks. There isn't another player on the market that can do all that for the same price. The Samsung HD931 upconverts the signal for a better picture. This is just a stepping stone for high deffinition DVD players which are already being sold in Japan. I wouldn't bother with it.

~C.C.~

mikeale
12-03-2003, 05:19 PM
If your wanting a good player for a decent price, go with the Pioneer 563A DVD player. I just got the 667A which is the same player and the sound and picture are great. Especially for the price. Check out the reviews. Almost all that have bought one love it. Plus it plays SACD's and DVD Audio disks. There isn't another player on the market that can do all that for the same price. The Samsung HD931 upconverts the signal for a better picture. This is just a stepping stone for high deffinition DVD players which are already being sold in Japan. I wouldn't bother with it.

~C.C.~

You won't believe it but just got back from Circuit City where I picked up a 563A. Thanks for the reply and I now feel even better about my choice. I will not be able to hook it up for another 10 days, I'm moving and can't wait. Guess I need to buy a SACD and DVD-A now. Suggestions anybody?

TheAmazingJosh
12-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Purchased a new 50" Samsung TV and now am told I need a progressive scan DVD player. Do not have a lot of money to spend since the TV was expensive. Any recommendations? The sales person is trying to sale me on a Samsung HD931 that requires the purchase of a $100 DVI cable. This would bring the total to around $400. Would I be better off to buy some other $400 brand and use component hookups that I already own? Of course would like best picture and sound possible. Taking all suggestions. Thanks

It's a good player regardless if you use the DVI output or not. Mine came with a cable, I intend to get a higher quality one in a week or so.

solarishead
12-14-2003, 03:31 AM
Not sure if you plan to play different media types in your dvd player (SVCD, home DVD-Rs etc.) but I've always looked at

http://www.dvdrhelp.com

before purchasing. A friend of mine has a $1000 sony dvd player that can't barely play anything but store bought dvds.

Hope that helps.

Geoffcin
12-14-2003, 06:18 AM
You won't believe it but just got back from Circuit City where I picked up a 563A. Thanks for the reply and I now feel even better about my choice. I will not be able to hook it up for another 10 days, I'm moving and can't wait. Guess I need to buy a SACD and DVD-A now. Suggestions anybody?

Congrats on the new player. Wait till you hear the quality of DVD-Audio~!

recoveryone
12-18-2003, 07:45 AM

I guess the 563a is the little brother of the 45a I picked up a few months back, bur from what I hear and read the 563a will do the job quite well, enjoy.