Subwoofer connection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer connection

Eric Z
07-08-2004, 07:02 AM
Hello, everyone-

I have a Def Tech PS80 subwoofer and previously hooked it up through my older Sony receiver via a high level speaker wire connection. I recently upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha HTR5760 and have a subwoofer out.

I bought a sub cable and hooked it up to my subwoofer LFE input. I heard that I can get a y-connector and hook the cable into both the left and right of the Low Level In on my sub. Is that something I should do? I checked the manual and the Low Level In (L/R) is shown used through an amp of some sort, but I heard I should use the Y with the L/R input.

Thanks.
Eric

Garrardman
07-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Eric,

There's no need to split the signal from your Yamaha reciever and put it into both inputs on the sub - inside the subwoofer's amplifier the 2 channels are re-combined back into one and passed to the power amp so it would be a pointless exercise!

Adam.

Lafferman
07-08-2004, 01:34 PM
i have a paradigm ps 1000 and it has two inputs on the sub i didn't use a splitter until i heard the same thing. and it does make a difference it made my sub get louder so now i have to run my sub volume at about 25% instead of 50% to keep the same good mix between my mains and sub. but this was just my experience( my roomate also agreed that the bass got way louder). if i were you i would try it out you will be able to run your sub amp cooler and get the same output imo.

cam
07-08-2004, 04:05 PM
You only need to use the y splitter if you already have your sub volume on max and still need more. In which case when you use a slitter you will gain 6 db. So if you have your sub volume at 50% using only one input, it would be a complete waste of money to use a y-splitter to have your sub volume at 25%. It does not mean your sub amp is working less and cooler.

markw
07-08-2004, 04:47 PM
You only need to use the y splitter if you already have your sub volume on max and still need more. In which case when you use a slitter you will gain 6 db. So if you have your sub volume at 50% using only one input, it would be a complete waste of money to use a y-splitter to have your sub volume at 25%. It does not mean your sub amp is working less and cooler.

An amp only has so much gain. The level control only controls how much input signal you feed it to reach a certain level. You can turn it up only so far before you run out of power. By doubling the input signal, you will run out of power at a lower dial setting.

IOW, you just run out of watts at a lower point on the dial.

Like Cam said, it's putting out just as much now, and generating just as much heat, as it did before but at a lower setting.

(Yeah man.. .my amp goes up to ELEVEN!!!")

Eric Z
07-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys!!

I tried hooking up the sub both ways and I really don't notice too much of a difference. I think I actually noticed a better connection without the y-connector.

Thanks again!!
Eric

mtrycraft
07-08-2004, 08:20 PM

I tried hooking up the sub both ways and I really don't notice too much of a difference. I think I actually noticed a better connection without the y-connector.

Thanks again!!
Eric

Your sub works fine with one RCA, some needs both. As you can see, not all are designed the same :)

cam
07-09-2004, 03:02 PM

Thanks again!!
Eric
Hooking up either way will not make any difference in sound. The only difference will be that if you y-split, your sub volume will have to be reduced. They also make sub cables that split into two already so there is no need to buy a splitter.

solarison
02-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I am connecting Yamaha HTR5760 and Paradigm Servo15. The subwoofer is not picking up most of sound. There is only one subwoofer output in 'preout' outputs in the receiver. Is this the place where it should be connected? On the speaker side, it is connected to a RCA input. I am new on this. Any advices are appreciated...

This Guy
02-11-2005, 12:39 PM
sounds right. Play with the volume level on it on the receiver and on the sub itself. Also make sure the crossover dial on the sub is turned to the highest it goes if you're using the receivers crossover.

solarison
02-18-2005, 10:22 AM
sounds right. Play with the volume level on it on the receiver and on the sub itself. Also make sure the crossover dial on the sub is turned to the highest it goes if you're using the receivers crossover.

The subwoofer lights at front panel is not on. Only L and R front speakers indicators are on. I am not sure what cause this ...