Navy Man seeks help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Navy Man seeks help

cott_christopher
07-08-2004, 05:02 AM
I am stationed overseas and am trying to find a good A/V RCVR for my
Klipsch RF3 II and RS 3 II and RC 3II and KSW12. I currently have a JVC RX-8030v.
It is hard to find an internet company to ship over here so any advise would be good. I am a subscriber to Sound &Vision. I hope some one can help.

Thanks Chris

kexodusc
07-08-2004, 05:08 AM
Many ebay sellers ship worldwide...so do some on-line retailers. Seems to me my Dad had no problem getting stuff shipped to him duty free when he was stationed in Kuwait. Failing that I recommend you go to some reputable manufacturers websites, enter your location, and locate dealers near you.
I'd stick with Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, and Harman Kardon receivers for now, though depending on your budget you may wish to explore other options.

markw
07-08-2004, 05:17 AM
Do they atill have PX's or BX'x?

When I was in the Phillipines in the AF in '69/70, they sold some pretty decent stuff. Pioneer, Sansui, Teac, etc...

Is this an option or have they gone the way of thirty cent/gallon gasoline and the draft?

P.S.. what's the difference between the two?
One is gone forever and the other might return.

cott_christopher
07-08-2004, 05:25 AM
Yes they do hav the Exchange but the quality isn't very good you can get a kenwood or a low end yamaha or sony. I will spend close to 3,000 on my new receiver.

kexodusc
07-08-2004, 05:32 AM
. I will spend close to 3,000 on my new receiver.

Uh...yeah, the BX ain't gonna carry that stuff...Okay, so now we're talking Yamaha's Z series, Rotel, Anthem, Arcam and stuff like that. In which case I recommend you pick some manufacturers, visit their websites, and find a dealer close by. You could put together some nice separates and an HT processor with that budget, too.
If you're dropping that kind of money on a receiver, I'd avoid internet purchases, and ebay altogether. You don't want to buy anything you can't physically touch and listen to first.

Another safer option might be to buy from a reputable US internet company (kind of an oxymoron in itself) and have them send it to your family, then have the family send it to you. That would be worth your while, and if you plan on living in the USA again, you want an American warranty.

skeptic
07-08-2004, 05:59 AM
At this point, I'll bet krazykaj will sell you his Z9 for $3000. Then when you are in Tokyo, just take it in to Yamaha for service. Have the captain raise those big guns and point them in their direction. I'll bet they get it fixed right this time within an hour.

Worf101
07-08-2004, 06:28 AM
The PX carried some "High End" gear like the Bose 901, series I (show's how long ago that was), Marantz, Sony and Kenwood (when it was Kenwood). Sigh I guess they local PX has gone the way of 25 cent gas.

Da Worfster :(

cott_christopher
07-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Well they do have low gear models that just don't cut it.

cott_christopher
07-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the Info on Rotel I checked out their gear and it looks good checked out the owner manual for the 1067. I just need to find a dealer that will ship to Japan and has the model I want.

mtrycraft
07-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Well they do have low gear models that just don't cut it.

Your speakers are sensitive and seems to be an easy load for an amp. So, as long as the receiver has all the features you are looking for, you should not have a problem. How about Denon? Onkyo? Not available?

cott_christopher
07-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Well as far as Onkyo I don't know much about them are theu better than Rotel?

kexodusc
07-09-2004, 03:25 AM
Well as far as Onkyo I don't know much about them are theu better than Rotel?

I love my Rotel integrated amplifier, but to me, Rotel's always been a music 1st, Home Theater 2nd company. Onkyo makes some great equipment too though, it's too hard to say if one is better, they're just different. I think brands like Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha etc, would have more processing features and "bells and whistles" than say a Rotel or Arcam, etc. I'd expect Rotel's receivers to sound a bit better for music than the others though.

Decide what features you need, what features you want, and then look at the models available to you. Yamaha and Denon receivers are typically the 2 most popular on these boards. But that's for models priced well below what you are looking to spend. With a budget of $3000 you've really got alot of options.
Would you use this mostly for watching moview, listening to 2-channel stereo, multi-channel music sources? I think you should consider going the separates route to save you money the next time you upgrade. Most people feel you'll typically get superior results with separates anyway.

cott_christopher
07-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I mainly listen to multi channel stereo now when a CD is in or FM station is on, however I just stick to doulby digital or dts when watching a movie. I really dont care about all the extra, as long as it has the stero in multi channel mode and has the what I like when watching movies.

kexodusc
07-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Yeah, then I'd stick with Rotel or Arcam or something, maybe one of Yamaha or Denon's higher end units.

mtrycraft
07-09-2004, 07:07 PM
I mainly listen to multi channel stereo now when a CD is in or FM station is on, however I just stick to doulby digital or dts when watching a movie. I really dont care about all the extra, as long as it has the stero in multi channel mode and has the what I like when watching movies.

David Ranada just reviewed the Denon 3805 in the Jul/Aug 2004 Sound & Vision and was most pleased with its performance..$2000 list. Save the rest.

cott_christopher
07-09-2004, 11:37 PM
I checked it out and the user manual the more channels being used the lower the watts. Not for me thanks

mtrycraft
07-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I checked it out and the user manual the more channels being used the lower the watts. Not for me thanks

I think you are misunderstanding the ratings. All amps will do that when all channels driven to full power at the same time. Not likeley to happen.

Do you know in fact of a movie or music segment to need full power to all channels at the same exact time? That is the real issue with multi channel amps and sources. You will not run into that case so it is not a real issue. Even two channel is not that likely. So, the Denon is a very good amp indeed. But, as the review stated, no bass management for DVD-A unless the DVD player has it.

Pat D
07-10-2004, 04:29 PM
You have to realize that virtually all HT receivers have a single power supply for the amplifiers of all channels. Virtually all of them have less than the rated power for one or two channels when all channels are driven. It could hardly be otherwise. But, as mtrycrafts points out, very few movies require high power from all channels simultaneously. There is a fellow who has collated some of the data from Sound & Vision's reviews of receivers:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm