Need help hooking up my HT- thanks in advance! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help hooking up my HT- thanks in advance!

Eric Z
07-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Hello, everyone-

I recently picked up a Yamaha HTR5760 receiver and need some help hooking it up to my DVD player and basic Sony TV (nonHD).

I've heard different ways hooking it up, but I'm looking for the most effective way. I've read the receiver manual and that helped a little, but I still have some questions. I'm confused when it comes to the optical, coaxial, component video, s video, etc...

I would like to have the TV sound play through my receiver as well. I do not have a cable box or satelite.

If possible, I am looking for some specific instructions. I apologize upfront for my ignorance when it comes to this.

**I know I need optical going out from my DVD player to the receiver. Do I also need coaxial from DVD to receiver?

**Is there also a video out from DVD to receiver, or is this taken care of with the optical/coaxial? [the receiver manual shows video out from DVD to video and s video and also to component video- that confuses me tremendously]

**How is the audio connected from DVD to receiver? Would this be an analog connection?

**Now, what about the connections with the TV? Would that be between the DVD and TV or the receiver and the TV? Would it be an S Video connection? How is the audio hooked up between the TV and receiver?

Thank you very much in advance with your help.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything more.

Thanks again.
Eric

topspeed
07-06-2004, 12:01 PM
I would like to have the TV sound play through my receiver as well. I do not have a cable box or satelite.

If possible, I am looking for some specific instructions. I apologize upfront for my ignorance when it comes to this.No need to apologize, we've all been there. The only dumb question is the one that goes without being asked...
Get a set of RCA patch cords and go from the "Audio Out" on the back side of your tv to the "TV Audio In" on your rec. and when you're watching tv, just make sure your receiver is set to the right source (in this case TV). Easy.

**I know I need optical going out from my DVD player to the receiver. Do I also need coaxial from DVD to receiver?No, just pick one. Using the optical will allow you to utilize the receiver's digital to analog converters (DAC) instead of those onboard your dvd player. If the dvd player has better dac's, use rca's. How do you tell? Run it both ways and see which sounds better.

**Is there also a video out from DVD to receiver, or is this taken care of with the optical/coaxial? [the receiver manual shows video out from DVD to video and s video and also to component video- that confuses me tremendouslyThe video should be hooked with either s-video or component, just pick one. Audio signals are sent thru the optical or rca "Audio Out" whichever you picked.

**How is the audio connected from DVD to receiver? Would this be an analog connection?see above

**Now, what about the connections with the TV? Would that be between the DVD and TV or the receiver and the TV? Would it be an S Video connection? How is the audio hooked up between the TV and receiver? All sources (i.e. dvd, cd, cassette, vhs) will feed into the receiver. Hooking it up to the tv is the easy part. Take your "Video Out" from the receiver (usually RCA's, S-video, or Component) and plug it into your tv "Video In". Whether you use coax, rca, s-video, or component is up to you and how much you want to spend. S-video is the easiest as it's just one cord but component technically offers the best picture. Obviously, all audio is coming from your connected speakers.

Hope this helps.

Bryan
07-07-2004, 06:02 AM
To further clarify or possibly confuse:

Get a set of RCA patch cords and go from the "Audio Out" on the back side of your tv to the "TV Audio In" on your rec. and when you're watching tv, just make sure your receiver is set to the right source (in this case TV). Easy.

One thing you may need to do is go into the audio settings in the TV and select TV audio out through the RCA jacks rather than TV speakers. This can sound more complicated than what it is.

Additionally, for video, direct connections are best. If you only have the DVD player connect it to the TV using either the s-video connection or the component video connection. If you have multiple video sources with only one available s-video input on the TV then run the video connections through the receiver and one from the receiver to the TV.

Eric Z
07-07-2004, 07:15 AM
Okay, I just want to clarify a couple points to make sure I'm on the right page. First, I want to thank you Bryan and topspeed for your input!

1. AUDIO: RCA cables from TV audio out to receiver TV audio in.
2. AUDIO: Optical or RCA from DVD audio out to receiver audio in.
3. VIDEO DVD: S-Video or component cables from DVD video out to receiver video in. Or, I can go straight from DVD video out to TV video in with S-Video or component cables (Bryan's point).
4. VIDEO TO TV: S-Video or component cables from receiver video out to TV video in. If I have the DVD directly to the TV (like 2nd half of step 3), then I can skip this, correct?

Am I on the right track?

Thanks again.
Eric

Bryan
07-07-2004, 10:44 AM
1. Correct though make sure you do not have to adjust your TVs audio settings. (For example, my Panasonic requires a minor audio setting change.)

2. Exactly. Prefer either optical or digital coax over RCA. The former two will allow you to experience DTS, 5.1, etc., whereas the former is primarily stereo.

3. Yep. Direct is best when you have the inputs.

4. Bingo. I would only go through the receiver if you have multiple video sources and not enough inputs on your TV.

Eric Z
07-08-2004, 06:44 AM
Thanks a bunch for your help, Bryan!

I hooked everything up and it sounds pretty darn good!! I was impressed with the improvement over my older Sony receiver.

I still have a couple outstanding questions (in order with the numbers in my previous post).

1. I hooked up RCA cables from TV audio out to receiver TV audio in. It works, but I do have to make some audio changes through my Sony TV menu. The only problem is it cuts off the volume from the TV so the sound is only coming out of my speakers. That would be ideal if I had a center channel, but I do not yet. Any ideas?

3 and 4. What is the difference between optical cables and component cables? Is one better than the other? I heard that component cable are worth it for HD or TVs 32" and above- is that right? In addition, someone mentioned that it would be easier to switch from component to component if I use those cables. Not sure about the specifics on that though.

Thanks again.

This Guy
07-08-2004, 08:18 AM
1. Don't use the TV's speakers. Just tell the receiever that you don't have a center speaker and the sound that would have come out from the center will come out of your left and right speakers.

3/4. Optical cables carry a digital audio signal. Component cables carry video. They are completely different. Use component for the best picture. For audio optical or coaxial work fine, no audible difference except coaxial is cheaper.

Mania
07-08-2004, 09:05 AM
3 and 4. What is the difference between optical cables and component cables? Is one better than the other? I heard that component cable are worth it for HD or TVs 32" and above- is that right? In addition, someone mentioned that it would be easier to switch from component to component if I use those cables. Not sure about the specifics on that though.

Thanks again.

Eric, one of the most difficult things about HT for people to understand completely is the difference between cables. It can be very confusing, but really is simple. Its important for you to understand what each type of cable does, and what it can be used for in order for you to set up your equipment most efficiently and without pulling your hair out. I think it would be easiest for you to break each cable down into its function, so here goes:

VIDEO:
TV coaxial cable (aka RX-6?) is very familiar to you. It carries all the channels from your cable company along with the corresponding audio information via an analog format. You can get very reasonable picture and sound quality
Composite video may be one of three composite lines in a signal cable ( usually red, white, yellow) or on its own. It is important to note that the colors don't actually mean anything, but for convention's sake, yellow is routinely used for the video. The signal here is also analog, may carry signal better than coaxial, but contains only one channel's information. This is why you use this type of cable AFTER the tuner.
S-Video carries video signal by itself. It is also analog, but separates the color from the brightness (I think) and generally gives better picure quality than the previous types. This isn't to say that this cable improves quality, it only degrades it less. The picture quality will only be as good as the weakest link.
Component cables separate the three major colors, and thus results in the best picture quality, or rather, lowest picture degradation. Although the cables carry analog signals (I believe) they are the only cables so far that can be used to carry HDTV video. However, they can also carry standard video. For larger TV's, (32 inch and larger) I have heard that the difference in quality for Component and S-video is noticeable. However, this is subjective, and probably also depends on the source material and the quality of the TV. For 27inch and lower TVs, S-video is probably as good as you need. If you intend to carry HD material, you MUST use component cables. There are other formats that can carry HD signals, but are more essoteric

AUDIO
Audio can be carried by coaxial cable as mentioned previously.

Composite or RCA cables (generally red and white) carry analog stereo sound. Each colored cable can carry the right or left speaker's information. Again, it is important to realize that these cables can only carry stereo information. If you unplug one, but leave the other in, the sound to one of the speakers will drop out, but not both. Most receivers have either Pro logic or Pro logic II, which can mix the left and right signals into a 4 channel surround sound.
Digital cables (optical and coaxial) carry ones and zeros. There are debates as to whether they do this differenlty or not, but I think its safe to say for the general audience, there is essentially no difference in sound quality or information. The major difference is purely physical. Don't sweat it. These digiat cables can carry more than one or even two signals at once, and therefore, can carry both stereo, and 5.1. Although two channel information may or may not sound different between digital and composite cables, the composite cables are unable to carry the 5.1 information. As a result, it is generally more useful/efficient to use digital cables when available. These digital cables do not carry video.

Thus, a cd player could use either composite, or digital cables. A DVD player could use composite cables, but would not be able to relay the digital audio tracks to the reciever (ie 5.1) so it is better to use either optical or coax digital. The DVD player must also send video signal, so it is suggested that you sue the best inputs that you have available. For std signal on a 27in S-video should be just fine. for larger TVs and HDTV, go with composite cables.

Also, generally, you should know that you do not need to buy Monster brand cables in order to observe good results. While this may be a source of debate, you generally can get away with less expensive cables. I usually buy Accoustic Research cables from best buy because they are not terribly expensive.

Good luck

Eric Z
07-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Exact information I was looking for- thank you, This Guy and Mania!!!

Also, just to clarify, I mistyped earlier regarding the differences between cables. I should have typed S-Video instead of Optical. Mania answered that question in his post- thanks again!!

sy_lu
07-10-2004, 12:27 AM
In theory and in my own experience the component video is far better than S-video. If both your tv and DVD player has progressive input and output, it is best to set them to progressive mode when use with component video. BTW, progressive mode does not apply to s-video and since your tv is not HD, it probably can not handle progressive video but worth to check it out.