I saw Robin Williams last night [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I saw Robin Williams last night

Troy
12-03-2003, 08:54 AM
What a force of nature!

By pure luck last week, I found out that he was doing 4 unpublicized shows this week in San Francisco as a benefit for the Haight Asbury free clinic. Tix went on sale Saturday morning only at the club so we got up early and picked up tix for last night and sunday. A very reasonable $25 too.

We got to the small club (Bimbos) nice and early and found ourselves near the front of the line. We were stunned to get a table down front. Literally front row. I mean, RIGHT there, 3 feet away. I could have untied his shoes.

He's using the shows to work on new material and he just went insane for 2 hours covering subjects like computers, the stigma of the word c*nt, Jacko and priests, his prostate, death, what it's like being as hairy as an ape, Popeye picking up on Betty Boop in a seedy waterfront bar, the history of the Middle East and San Francisco as it's own iconoclastic "Fortress Latte". But when he climbed off the stage and wandered into the center of the audience and just picked on people for 15 minutes he was just on FIRE. Man, the guy is just amazing. By the end of the set, his shirt was totally soaked through and the buttons wouldn't stay closed. When several women in the audience went nuts when his shirt kept opening up he started pulling the hairs from his chest by the fistful and began flinging them around the stage howling "I'm shedding!" I cringed back and put my hand over the top of my drink. I must have made a disgusted face because he laughed and commiserated with me about how gross that must have been. Hilarious to be involved, not matter how over the top it really was. By the end of the set, even he was saying how wild and weird the show was. Being so close, it was like he was performing just for me and Mrs. Troy. So much eye contact and playing right to us, it was truly a spectacular experience. I can't wait for sunday.

ForeverAutumn
12-03-2003, 09:07 AM
What a fantastic night you had. You should try to get the same seats for Sunday. See if he recognizes you. :cool:

Hyfi
12-03-2003, 09:28 AM
He can do alot of bits both funny and serious. I love the old one he did years ago where he was a late night DJ on a Jazz station and read ALL the credits and info off the back of an album s l o w l y.

Cool that you cought him on the cheap. Have fun a second time.

Dave_G
12-03-2003, 10:20 AM
I used to love to go see stand up comedy, sounds like an excellent show, Troy.

Dave

jasn
12-03-2003, 10:29 AM
I've grown tired of Mr. Williams lately, but your review Troy made him sound very fresh. Thx.

While not in the same dimension as WIlliams, the Eddie Izzard DVD (the HBO one) is outstanding. I had to buy it because finding stuff like that to rent is nearly impossible.

ForeverAutumn
12-04-2003, 10:37 AM
On Sunday, take a copy of his CD or DVD and see if he'll sign it for you in exchange for a signed copy of your book. He seems like a pretty decent guy. I'll bet that he'd think it was cool to be given an autograph for a change.

audiobill
12-04-2003, 02:34 PM
I picked up his Robin Williams Live dvd a couple of months ago and Mrs. audiobill & I had a gas!!

We never shed so many tears laughing out loud watching a dvd.

If you haven't seen it, you should........but, hey, you've seen him live....wow!!

By far, he imho is the best comic out there.

Thanks for sharing,
Bill