Used to long weekend to build a new Gaming Rig! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Used to long weekend to build a new Gaming Rig!

Worf101
07-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Someone asked recently if we do more than drool over audio gear. Well I'm here to tell ya, yeah I do more than that. I got tired of my 2 year old system hangin' up and running slow on graphics intensive game soooo... I took a portion of my savings, bought stuff on Ebay and NewEgg and built the following:

AMD Athallon 64Fx-53
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
1 Gig of OCZ 3500 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 0
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN SPIRE|SP703C3-1 KK3 AMD
Cooler Master Wave Master Case with 480 watt power supply.
M-Audio Revolution sound card (bye bye Sound Blaster!)

Of course everything couldn't go smoothly so I'm waiting on one piece to arrive...
ATI X800XT Platinum video card. (if I can ever find one).

This was my second time building a rig and it went slicker than snot. 2.5 hours to assemble the hardware, another 3 hours for OS and software. Sucka's up and running and doing a relatively "cool" 47* Celcius at idle. I bought a cheepo 9600se ATI card so I can play in the meantime.

AR related, I got tired of the snap crackle and pop of Creative SoundBlaster products, I was running a Audigy Platinum in my old rig, so I went with an M-Audio Revolution card instead.

M-Audio makes commercial grade sound gear for studio's so I was anxious to hear what their product would do with a computer. It's great, far superior to most soundblaster stuff save the top of the line Audigy 2S Platinum. I'm very happy with it.

Well, folks hope you all had a good Fourth....

Da Worfster :cool: