What band do you have the most stuff of? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What band do you have the most stuff of?

Dave_G
12-03-2003, 08:20 AM
We all have tons of cd's.

What bands do you collect the most?

For me, it's:

Genesis
Stranglers
Ultravox
Marillion
Deep Purple
Kansas
Tull
The Fixx
Yes

I rarely buy "different doubles" but did with Yes's The Ladder as they each had different bonus cd's.

Dave

ForeverAutumn
12-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Since I'm not at home, I have to go by memory. The collections that immediately come to mind are....

Bowie
Pink Floyd
Yes
Crowded House
Blue Rodeo
Dream Theatre
Rush

Hyfi
12-03-2003, 09:10 AM
I have to say

Bruford
Yes
Tull
Allman Bros
Annie Haslam/Rennaissance

Dave_G
12-03-2003, 09:21 AM
FA,

You like Dream Theatre a lot, eh?

Have you ever seen them live?

Alas, I have not, but the dvd in stunning.

I get tired just watching them hammer away non stop.

Pretty darn good band.

Dave

JSE
12-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Been following Dream Theatre for a long time now. I saw them back in 91 or 92 I think, in Dallas. Awesome show. Have not seen them since. They are truly a great band. I can listen to them for hours.

Did not know they had DVD out. I will make that next on my list.

I also have a lot of Big Head Todd stuff. Every Album they have put out has been great. A really good bluesie rock band with a taste of funk. They are really good live as well. I see them at least once a year between Houston, Austin and Dallas.

Dusty Chalk
12-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Klaus Schulze (100-200)
Tangerine Dream (<100, but not by much)

I think.

Finch Platte
12-03-2003, 09:39 AM
Nattering munchkin.

Demetrio
12-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Mine are these:

- Camel
- Porcupine Tree
- The Enid
- Renaissance
- Pink Floyd

Demetrio.

jasn
12-03-2003, 10:32 AM
From memory I think REM would be the winner in my rack, which is wierd because I hardly ever play them anymore.

I also have a lot of Big Head Todd, Kings X, all of Crowded House (and the Finn Bros)and Freedy Johnston. These artists always make me curious about their next release.

tugmcmartin
12-03-2003, 10:58 AM
For me it'd be the Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffett, Jimi Hendrix, Widespread Panic, Dave Matthews, and Blues Traveller.

T-

dld
12-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Dave, my list is just like yours, only different, to wit:

Stones
Beatles
Neil Young
Joan Armatrading
Nick Lowe
Beach Boys
Pink Floyd

tentoze
12-03-2003, 11:43 AM
We all have tons of cd's.

What bands do you collect the most?
...snip snip..

Dave

Thinking about this question made me realize that there really aren't any "bands" in my list that come readily to mind, being away from the rack to look. Rough memory sez-

Van Morrison, 29 or 30
Joan Armatrading, everything but Greatest Hits packages
Guy Clark, everything (10 or so)
John Hiatt, 8 or 9

-Jar-
12-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Mine are these:

- Camel
- Porcupine Tree
- The Enid
- Renaissance
- Pink Floyd

Demetrio.

welcome back Demetrio!

I was wondering when you were going to make the 'jump'..

I'm not a collector of any one band really..

of Husker Du, the Minutemen, and a few others, I have all of their 'official' releases.. but I don't really deal with extra stuff too much, I have a couple boots by various bands, but nothing to write home about. Probably the one artist represented most in my collection is Bill Laswell, I think by last count it was about 15 cds.. a very small fraction of his total output..

-jar

ForeverAutumn
12-03-2003, 01:14 PM
FA,

You like Dream Theatre a lot, eh?
Have you ever seen them live?
Alas, I have not, but the dvd in stunning.
I get tired just watching them hammer away non stop.
Pretty darn good band.
Dave

Okay, I was responding to Dave and I hit a key on my keyboard accidentally and my post disappeared. I don't know what I hit, but if an incomplete post by me shows up somewhere, you'll know why.

Lets try this again....

Considering that I only discovered Dream Theater as a result of this board which I have only been hanging around for a year (Happy Anniversary to me!), I've put together a pretty good collection. I still have a few holes to fill, but it is definately the most purchased band for me this year.

I had the pleasure of seeing Dream Theater this past summer. They played a show with Queensryche and Fates Warning. They were amazing. I am soooooo hoping that they tour to promote the new CD and find their way back here. I will definately be there if they do.

BarryL lent me the DVD. In fact, I haven't yet returned it. I hope that he isn't looking for it. ;) It was great. I'll have to get my own copy (gift hint here Barry). I also noticed how long they could play without taking a breather. My fingers hurt after about 45 minutes on my guitar! I liked the little video inserts. I thought that they did a good job of helping to tell the story.

Jim Clark
12-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Wall of Voodoo would be the king of my pile of discs not really sure how many total, probably 40-50. Not bad for a band that had 7 proper albums released. The rest is made up from bootlegs and EPs.

Not too many other bands where I have all official regular releases plus some more but there are a few

Adam and the Ants
Soft Cell
Stan Ridgway
Ramones -The Ramones are really starting to pile up due to the remasters and then replacing some vinyl and cassettes with CDs.

Fun question.

jc

Mr MidFi
12-03-2003, 01:42 PM
The following artists take up the most real estate in my CD cabinet (not necessarily in order):
REM (all of 'em)
Bruce Springsteen (most of 'em)
U2 (all of 'em)
Rolling Stones (most of the good ones)
Fleetwood Mac (they're my wife's)
Peter Gabriel (6 or 7 of 'em)

There are a bunch of artists that I own 4 of, including (but not limited to):
Bowie
Cowboy Junkies
Wilco
The Who
Midnight Oil
Pink Floyd

Worf101
12-03-2003, 01:48 PM
As far as my most loved/collected artists...

1. Curtis Mayfield - With the Impressions and solo, masterful stuff.

2. Marvin Gaye - Amazing career, amazing artist.

3. Laura Nyro - Under appreciated female pioneer, love her voice.

4. James Brown - Versuvius in Kansas...

5. George Clinton et al - No one's ever done it better.

6. Tower of Power - Gimme the horns.

That's just for today...

Da Worfster

Troy
12-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Zappa

DarrenH
12-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Tull - A bunch. Somewhere close to 100
King Crimson - 35
Stones - 23
Floyd - 19
Rush - 18

DarrenH
12-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Thank you, Jar, wish I could visit the forum more often.

Glad to meet everybody again (we are all newbies here now, right? :-))

Demetrio.

Hello Demetrio,

I received your package the other day. Thank you very much. KW III isn't bad actually. In fact, it rawks. I'm very glad to have finally completed the "trilogy" so to speak.

The Jadis is growing on me.

Anyway, nice to see you here.

Darren

Demetrio
12-03-2003, 05:07 PM
welcome back Demetrio!

I was wondering when you were going to make the 'jump'..

-jar

Thank you, Jar, wish I could visit the forum more often.

Glad to meet everybody again (we are all newbies here now, right? :-))

Demetrio.

Demetrio
12-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Hello Demetrio,

I received your package the other day. Thank you very much. KW III isn't bad actually. In fact, it rawks. I'm very glad to have finally completed the "trilogy" so to speak.

The Jadis is growing on me.

Anyway, nice to see you here.

Darren

Hey, Darren, glad to know you enjoyed the Kingston Wall cd, I loved the one you sent me too ("Mushroons" has to be one of their best songs, it's just brilliant).

Hope you come to enjoy that Jadis cd too.

On a side note, I received two great cd's last week: SVANN "Granica czerni i bieli" and ANAMOR "Imaginacje". Both the bands are from Poland, and both have a female vocalist. The first reminds Abraxas a lot, the other is more in the vein of Collage, Quidam and You & I.

Another excellent cd I'm listening to at the moment is NICE BEAVER "On Dry Land". Finally I got the new SPOCK'S BEARD, "Feel Euphoria". Despite some negative reviews I have read, I liked this one. By the way, I have read some very positive comments about the new NEAL MORSE solo work, "Testimony". Anybody out there liked this one?

Best prog wishes,

Demetrio.

DarrenH
12-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Another excellent cd I'm listening to at the moment is NICE BEAVER "On Dry Land".

Personally, I like my beavers wet. Sorry Demetrio, very 'dry' sexual humor.

You never cease to amaze me. You are certainly a well informed progger. If you don't mind, I would love a comp of your recent new findings.

Let me know. Thanks.

Darren

mad rhetorik
12-03-2003, 06:11 PM
Led Zeppelin (5)
Beatles (4)
The Who (4)
Jimi Hendrix (4)
Pink Floyd (4)
Neil Young (3)
The Pixies (3)
Metallica (3)

Stone
12-03-2003, 08:15 PM
The Pixies (3)

You should really get the fourth Pixies album. :rolleyes:

Stone
12-03-2003, 08:33 PM
For CDs, probably in this order (including singles):

Kinks
Bob Marley
New Order
Clash
Stone Roses

All media (including singles and such):

Kinks
Beatles
New Order
Bob Marley
Devo

These are guesses, but I bet I'm close.

Whooptee
12-03-2003, 08:54 PM
The most of any band or artist that I own would be the Stones. I think I have around 10 of their cd's, one double best-of and a concert DVD. Here's some others,

The Pixies (5 + 1EP/2Comp/3Breeders/1Amps/2FrankBlack)
Tom Waits (6)
The Gourds (6)
Bob Dylan (4 + 2Comp)
Willie Nelson (6+)
Merle Haggard (6+)
Pavement (5 + 1StephenMalkmus)
Sonic Youth (5)
Pearl Jam (5)
Radiohead (4 + 1EP)

I'm missing some, but that's what I can think of right now.
John

Jim Clark
12-04-2003, 06:47 AM
(we are all newbies here now, right? :-))

Demetrio.

Uh, wrong!

jc

JazzHead
12-04-2003, 08:58 AM
Dylan is tops - all told somewhere between 80-90 CDs and elpees. Course, he didn't exactly release all of them himself.

Second is probably Coltrane - 40+ and counting.

peace,
jh.

Grblgrbl
12-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Mine by sheer numbers:

Beatles: at least 10
Bowie: over 30
Bruce Cockburn: about 20
Miles Davis: 10-15
Deep Purple: 10-15
Fairport Convention: about 10
Peter Gabriel: about 10
Genesis:15-20 (nothing after And Then There Were Three)
Gentle Giant:10-15
Grateful Dead:15-20
Jethro Tull: 25-30
Elton John: at least 10
King Crimson: 15-20
Kinks: 10-15
Led Zeppelin: 15-20
Mike Oldfield: at least 10
Pink Floyd: 10-15
Porcupine Tree: 10-15
REM: 10-15
Stones: 15-20
Roxy Music: 10-15
Rush: 10-15
Siouxsie and the Banshees: 10-15
Steely Dan: 10
Richard (& Linda) Thompson: 25-30
Traffic: 10-15
U2: 10-15
The Who: 10-15
Yes: 10 plus (nothing after Yesshows)
Neil Young: over 40
Van Morrison: over 10

jack70
12-05-2003, 09:32 AM
The Kinks (over 100 items of [just] pre-72 stuff)
Zappa (you don't wanna know)

Hey Dave, I started getting Genesis albums from their very first (wasn't even released here in the US), but I pretty much stopped listening much after the original group broke apart. One of my fave items of theirs is the 45 "Twilight Ale House" (non-LP)... not sure if this was included on any of their CDs (I have only 1 CD of Genesis!). As "nice" a cut as any on their early (first 6 LPs) IMHO. Familiar with it?

MindGoneHaywire
12-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Can't believe I take this nonsense seriously enough to actually give a detailed answer. I sure didn't bother doing this when this was covered recently on the Asylum. Let's see...my numbers are based on albums I have by each artist, not the actual number of CDs. And bootlegs, though I don't have a great deal of those. I do have a few twofers, that I would count as two albums. However, I count a double album, double CD, multi-CD set, or box set as one album (so I clarify these numbers on some artists). I hesitated to list any artists for which I have less than at least 10 albums, but I made exceptions for some who do not have 10 releases on their resume.

Chet Baker--7 (10 CDs' worth)

Beach Boys--22
Brian Wilson--5

Beastie Boys--8

Beatles--23
John Lennon--11
Paul McCartney--9
George Harrison--3/Ringo Starr 2

James Brown--4 (9 CDs' worth) + a 2-disc JB's compilation

Johnny Cash--10

The Clash--9

John Coltrane--12 (of course, this only includes albums on which he was a leader)

Elvis Costello--14 (both with & without the Attractions)

The Cramps--9

Miles Davis--27 (only one album after 1965's E.S.P., though)

Bob Dylan--22

Green Day--9

Jimi Hendrix--8

Robyn Hitchcock--4/Soft Boys 4

Billie Holiday--7 (19 CDs' worth)

Led Zeppelin--9

Husker Du--7
Bob Mould--4
Sugar--4

Thelonius Monk--5 (9 CDs' worth)

NY Dolls--4
David Johansen--6/Buster Poindexter 3
Sylvain Sylvain--1
Johnny Thunders--13

Elvis Presley--4 (16 CDs' worth)

Ramones--28 (plus one solo album each by Joey, Dee Dee, & Marky)

Velvet Underground--11
Lou Reed--15
John Cale--7

The Replacements--11

Rolling Stones--23

Sonny Rollins--10

Frank Sinatra--10 (21 CDs' worth)

Bruce Springsteen--9 (14 CDs' worth, which is a lot considering I was never really much of a fan. Quite a bit of these I CDR'd from vinyl given to me as a hand-me-down. I have grown to like & appreciate the Boss more than I ever did before, but I can say with some confidence that he will never become a great favorite of mine)

Tom Waits--13

The Who--11

Neil Young--12

I have 28 Fela Kuti albums on CD, but I'm not a huge fan. I just happened to come into a lot of Fela stuff not all that long ago. I dig his Afrobeat, but it's not something I listen to a great deal of the time.

Then there's ("Various Artists") compilations...I have 11 jazz compilations, 17 that would be considered either rockabilly or garage rock (27 CDs' worth), 7 that would be considered strictly blues, and 13 R&B and/or Soul collections that consist of 51 CDs.

I'll try to finish this post later...I've got to get up to flip the record.

Dusty Chalk
12-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Miles Davis--27 (only one album after 1965's E.S.P., though)Just out of curiosity -- is there a particular reason for this? Do you not like anything later than that, or did you just stop following him? And which release is it?

MindGoneHaywire
12-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Just don't like 'em. The only one I have is Doo-Bop, which is more conventional than a lot of what he did in the 70s & 80s. I used to have Nefertiti & On The Corner & Jack Johnson & dumped 'em; I've heard more than half of the rest of his output after E.S.P., and have never heard anything that I even remotely wanted to own. It's possible I might like something on Miles Smiles; I actually haven't heard that. But I know there's a tangible stylistic progression from E.S.P. onwards to Bittches Brew (this forum would not permit me to list the title correctly), and I hate fusion. But it's just not my cup of tea; I ain't gonna be one of those whiners complaining about how it's this or that or it's not music, you know, lots of people did that starting in the mid-60s with Miles & Coltrane...you know all this. It offends me. I just don't like it, is all. And while I don't love everything Coltrane did after A Love Supreme, I actually do kind of like Ascension, so it's not like I have one of those 'he made all these great jazz records, but then he just started making this unlistenable noise.' Yeah, some of it sounds like unlistenable noise to me, but it's hardly Metal Machine Music (which was kind of a joke anyway), it's an artist I respect following his muse. Hell, it doesn't bother me that Wes Montgomery had to play Beatles covers because he was broke--I mean in terms of an artist sacrificing his integrity (obviously I think it's horrible that he was broke). Anyone who said that his doing so did a disservice to jazz...does a disservice to HIM. So...I do think the Miles stuff sucks, but I look at it as a case of an artist always changing, always trying new things. Doesn't always work, but I respect him for it (and Madonna, too, though I am not making a direct artistic comparison). I think it would've been great if he'd made more great jazz albums like the ones from 1955-1960, but as much as I hate fusion, I wouldn't say he did a disservice to music by not re-plowing that ground. I've told people who think he 'sold out' that while I didn't agree with that, if anyone had earned the right to sell out, it was Miles. Really, without overstating the case, did anyone ever change music as significantly as he did in as many ways as he did? If so, I don't know who the hell it was. It's easy to point to groundbreaking pioneers--Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, Les Paul, Coleman Hawkins, Louis Jordan, Elvis, the Beatles, Louis Prima, Billie Holiday, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, the Ramones, et al, and of course there's hundreds I could name, but MOST of 'em only changed music in ONE very important way, sometimes two, rarely more. Now, Miles can't get the credit for bebop, but he was on board with Parker in the mid 40s; of course there's cool, while some other stuff he was doing could be considered at the forefront of hard bop (and since hard bop was begun as a counterpoint to cool, it's an accomplishment that he bridged the two), he proved to that a big label like Columbia wasn't wasting its time with jazz during a transitional time for the music; he did the modal thing, obviously; he did the fusion thing; he then added heavy funk; he did whatever he did through the rest of the 70s & 80s, which I can't speak to with much knowledge in terms of how innovative it may have been; and the last thing he did before he died was to start recording a rap record. Unlike other leaders, he WANTED not only superior players in his band, but players who had ideas that he might not have thought of, ideas that would make the music better (as opposed to, say, Cab Calloway firing Dizzy Gillespie for playing 'that Chinese music'). And I never got the sense that it bothered him that most consider his best 50s work to be something of a collaborative effort with Coltrane in some ways (as opposed to, say, a Charlie Parker record). He also, back in 1949, didn't care how it looked that he had white guys in his nonet. Maybe someone can list Les Paul's accomplishments, and perhaps he can rival Miles in this area, but then again, Les Paul's catalog has not remained a steady seller as Miles' has, either, not that that's all that important, but it's part of the equation. Sorry for the rant. I had it in me because I didn't waste it on some aficianado over on Music Lane who said the other day that he doesn't like Miles' music because he wasn't a great player.

mad rhetorik
12-07-2003, 12:46 PM
I don't like most of it either, but In A Silent Way is pretty cool I think. It's complex and features electric piano and guitar, but is actually listenable unlike B-tches' Brew which followed the year after. IMO it's one of Miles' best albums. I can understand why some wouldn't like it, but to each his own.

3LB
05-26-2010, 02:01 PM
I think Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree are running neck and neck.

Finch Platte
05-26-2010, 02:46 PM
The Beatles- damn near all of 'em.

luvtolisten
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Beatles
Don Henley
Who
Eagles
Springsteen
Gordon Lightfoot
Burton Cummings
Beach Boys
Jimmy Buffet
Dixie Chicks

Finch Platte
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Burton Cummings

lLOl- what's he got, like 3 discs?

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I think Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree are running neck and neck.

3LB, not that I mind, but what's with the 7-yr-old thread?

luvtolisten
05-26-2010, 04:47 PM
lLOl- what's he got, like 3 discs?

But they are 3 very good discs! :2: Actually 10.

3LB
05-26-2010, 05:05 PM
3LB, not that I mind, but what's with the 7-yr-old thread?
cuz why not

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Alright. I'll go with the flow...

Rush and REM.

dean_martin
05-26-2010, 05:32 PM
big thread tent revival

went through a bootleg and rarities phase in the mid to late 90s and ended up with a lot of cds, vinyl and video from Sonic Youth, Beck, REM, Nirvana, Dinosuar Jr and Babes in Toyland. It was fun looking for boots and rarities like Peel Session recordings, fan club exclusives, etc. but much of it sounds really bad.

Rae
05-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Oh good, let's play this game. I was away the first time around.

I used to be a lot more of a completist when I worked at a record store and I could come by used CDs relatively cheaply, but I've gotten rid of a lot of that stuff. At one time I'm sure I had more than 30 Tori Amos CDs, or Replacements, or Prince... now my collection is mostly vinyl. Scanning the spines on my shelf, here's who I appear to have at least a half-dozen releases from:

Harry Belafonte - 6
Elvis Costello - 6
Dillinger Four - 6
The Hidden Chord - 6
Husker Du - 6
Liars - 6
Milemarker - 6
Graham Parker - 6
Neil Young - 6
Miles Davis - 7
Simon & Garfunkel/solo Paul Simon - 7
Steve Forbert - 8
The Soviettes - 8
Bruce Springsteen - 8
The Dismemberment Plan - 9
Sicbay - 11
Bob Dylan - 12
The Lucksmiths - 12
Loudon Wainwright III - 22

~Rae

Stone
05-27-2010, 04:30 AM
Pablo Cruise - 27

GMichael
05-27-2010, 07:08 AM
In order (or at least to the best of my depleted memory)

Rush
Yes
Pink Floyd
Van Halen
Aerosmith
Black Saboth
Billy Joel
Kansas
Genesis
Styx
Ted Nuggent
Led Zep
Boston

Mr MidFi
05-27-2010, 08:22 AM
I was going to respond to this thread, but it appears that I already did... more than 7 years ago.

The only one I'd add to the list now would be Porky Tree. I've picked up 8 of them since 2003, not counting Jar's excellent 'best of' comp. And Radiohead, which I now own 6 of.

Jim Clark
05-27-2010, 09:36 AM
The Lucksmiths - 12
Loudon Wainwright III - 22

~Rae

I think I've been ignoring the Lucksmiths to my own detriment. Stone turned me on to one of their releases years ago. It's awesome but for some idiot reason I never bought any more. Stupid, huh?

jc

Finch Platte
05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Pablo Cruise - 27

:yikes:

Riggggghhhhhhhht. :shocked:

3LB
05-27-2010, 10:14 AM
:yikes:

Riggggghhhhhhhht. :shocked:
ya beat me to it

funny Stone, though I thought your answer was going to be Spyro Gyra

;)

Rae
05-27-2010, 10:25 AM
I think I've been ignoring the Lucksmiths to my own detriment. Stone turned me on to one of their releases years ago. It's awesome but for some idiot reason I never bought any more. Stupid, huh?

Stone and I are working on a Lucksmiths comp to distribute. Look for it to be ready in time for the apocalypse.

~Rae

3LB
05-27-2010, 10:46 AM
now Rae, don't go disappearin on us again

;)

Stone
05-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Stone and I are working on a Lucksmiths comp to distribute. Look for it to be ready in time for the apocalypse.

~Rae

Coincidentally, I just got an email today saying that the Lucksmiths CD I ordered in Feb. has been shipped.

Don't you think estimating the comp'll be done by December of 2012 is pushing it?

Stone
05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
ya beat me to it

;)

Well, Pablo Cruise came in first, but Spyro Gyra is a good one. Also in the running was Orleans.

GMichael
05-27-2010, 12:01 PM
ya beat me to it

;)

Hey now. I like the Gyra. It's great to relax to.

3LB
05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
actually, I might have a 'best of' somewhere, which is as indiscernable from a regular SG album as their regular albums were from one another, like a Fourplay or David Gruisin album.

My brother liked one of the Gyra albums, Stories W/O Words, because a couple of tracks cooked on his competition car stereo. I bought another, Break Out, because it was recommended to me. I wound up with both and then soon after ditched them and 4 or 5 other GRPish smooth jazz CD I had cuz they all sounded the same...god, was all '80s jazz this bad? I have the Spyro Gyra Greatest Hits CD because it was a dollar at a friend's yard sale.

I got a Kitaro CD you can have GM - guaranteed to make you comatose

Mr MidFi
05-27-2010, 02:00 PM

I think I had Catching the Sun on vinyl back in the 80s. It was all right for that sort of thing. But... not really my sort of thing, ya know.

Rae
05-27-2010, 02:39 PM
now Rae, don't go disappearin on us again

;)

Ouch!

~Rae

Swish
05-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah, rubber bands.

The National
Spoon
Wilco