Klipsch KG-1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch KG-1

registrar84
07-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Hello, anyone familiar with this 1990 speaker? Pros & cons?
Thanks

Jimmy C
07-05-2004, 10:52 AM
...of KG2s, probably about 1987 - they are the same series, IIRC.

I bought these to "upgrade" my Boston A70s... big mistake. After all, the new $380 speaker MUST be better than the old $280 speaker, right? Yikes, what was I thinking... ;*(

Compared to the Bostons, the Ks were quite dry and "in your face". The tweeter had no silkiness, and I'm not even sure the bass was any better/deeper despite the K's 10" drone on the back (along with an 8" woofer), while the Bostons had only the 8". The finish, however, WAS nice while the B.A.s has vinyl-wrapped chipboard.

I would imagine the KG1 is smaller (less bass)... maybe it does without the passive radiatior? I honestly don't recall...

What are you getting at? If I saw them CHEAP, I would buy to play around. On the other hand, if the price was $100, I would pass.

They were very efficient - great for tubes if you so desire. Valves might also tame the brightness.

My two seashells, YMMV.

Good luck!

Worf101
07-06-2004, 07:09 AM
Hello, anyone familiar with this 1990 speaker? Pros & cons?
Thanks

I've owned and used KG.5s, KG 1s, KG 1.5s and KG 2s. They're a good, not great bookshelf speaker that produce amazing amounts of Bass for their size. They're also very easy to set up and use. Like most Klipsch they're quite efficient and easy to run with small amps. They would be perfect for rears or surrounds as is. If you want to use them for mains you're gonna have to get a sub.

Hope this helps.

Da Worfster :cool: