Power Filter for dedicated 2 Channel ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Power Filter for dedicated 2 Channel ?

Lord_Magnepan
07-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Hello to all members.

I am currently wondering what a Power conditioner and new power cables can do to the already overwhelming joy that my system brings me so far. I run the following:

Pathos Classic one Hybrid AMP
Rega Planet 2000 MKII CD-Player
Magnepan MG 1.6QR/SE
Wireworld Solstice 5 cables and QED Millenium Edition MKII BiWIre cable with Airlock connections.

I am willing to spend up to 300€ for them. Any suggestions are welcome:-)

Greetings from Germany

Florian

skeptic
07-05-2004, 05:44 AM
Despite all of the claims here, there is absolutely no reason to believe that a new power cord will in any way affect the performance of your stereo system. The power delivered is transmitted through a vast network of transmission lines, transformers, circuit breakers, switches, before it reaches your equipment. The power cord supplied by the manufacturer of your equipment is more than adequate and represents only the most insignificant element in this power distribution network.

Whether a power conditioner will improve your sound system depends first of all on whether there are any real problems with the power you are receiving now. If there aren't there are no benefits to you except for the possibility of preventing damage due to an occasional voltage spike or overvoltage. You can prevent this just as effectively with a small inexpensive surge protector which your local electronics store or electrical supply house can sell you for a dozen Euros or less. Don't be deceived by fancy packaging or fancy receptacles. They do nothing for you and are often sold at very high prices.

If you have real and not imagined problems with power reaching your home, you will need to deal with it with equipment which is actually effective, not the consumer based products sold by most stores selling audiophile equipment and selling these magical wonders on the side for a few hundred Euros. Most consumer based products advertise by playing to the fears and lack of knowledge of their customers. If the advertising doesn't give detailed specifications and descriptions of what is inside the power conditioner, be suspicious. Often it contains little or nothing of real value. At the very least look for an isolation transformer. A couple of capacitors and a small inductor usually won't help much. A high quality UPS can be of benefit. Shop at an electrical supply house which sells equipment to electricians and electrical contractors. They deal with people who have to solve these problems for industry as their line of work. They can't afford to deal in myths and pretense. They will be happy to talk to you and explain what their products can and can't do and they will also be only too happy to take your money.

BTW, whatever you do, do not try to make your own power cords, especially if your home is wired for 220 to 240 volts. In the United States, the voltage universally used is 120 and it can deliver a nasty shock and even be lethal. In many parts of Europe, the standard is over 200 volts which is far more dangerous. Even though UL (Underwriters Laboratory) tests and approves many products including power cords in the US for electrical safety, many products not carrying the UL listing are still sold and present a real hazard. I don't know whether there are comparable certifying agencies in Europe such as DIN but if there are and you do decide to buy a power cord, at least look for their seal. Otherwise, look for something sturdy and well made. A recent posting here showed a power cord which looked like it would fall apart if you sneezed on it.

Lord_Magnepan
07-05-2004, 06:31 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed and fast response. I do not have any problem with my power. I love my system and can not find aynthing that i dislike. The reason i asked is because there are a few people that would swear that it sounds better. My Magnepan dealer, however said the same as you did. So i trust you both and simply save up for a Clearaudio Turntable or a Audiomecca one.

Thanks for the fast and detailed answere.

Florian

Geoffcin
07-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed and fast response. I do not have any problem with my power. I love my system and can not find aynthing that i dislike. The reason i asked is because there are a few people that would swear that it sounds better. My Magnepan dealer, however said the same as you did. So i trust you both and simply save up for a Clearaudio Turntable or a Audiomecca one.

Thanks for the fast and detailed answere.

Florian

To have a seperate circuit for your equipment, and that is the inclusion of noise, and voltage irregularities into the main line by appliances. Electric motors can add thier harmonics into the power line. If you cannot isolate your equipment for a line containing these motors, I would look into a conditioner. Conditoners are more than simple fuses or filters, they enable control of current from the initial stage, and several allow you to actually change the waveform to suit your tastes. Is this nessasasry? Absolutely not! I can't see a need for it myself, and I wouldn't reccomend a conditioner unless you have a problem.

skeptic
07-05-2004, 07:36 AM
"several allow you to actually change the waveform to suit your tastes."

The only taste home appliances have is for sine waves.

"To have a seperate circuit for your equipment, and that is the inclusion of noise, and voltage irregularities into the main line by appliances. Electric motors can add thier harmonics into the power line"

That is only going to help at all if the separate circuit is on the other leg of the local utility power transformer from the source of the noise and then usually only marginally. Otherwise the impedence between the source of the noise and the outlet where the audio equipment is connected is much too low to matter. The only effective remedy is a power conditioner and usually the best power conditioner is a high quality UPS. Short of that, I would go for a ferroresonant transformer such as those manufactured by Sola.