Infinity Center Speaker Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Center Speaker Question

Tzano
07-04-2004, 01:08 PM
I just started reading the forum as I'm trying to look for advice and knowledge before purchasing a center speaker. Right now, I am trying to put together a home theater for my new aptartment. The HT will probably be used 50/50 between movies and music. Currently I have an Onkyo TX-DS474 (unfortunately lacking the 5-channel option) receiver and Infinity Delta 30s.

I was reading through the forum and you guys seem to really stress listening personally to whichever sounds the best but also to try and match the speaker brands. What would you all recommend for a center speaker in a moderate price range for a college student.

Also with rear speakers should I match those, as well, to Infinity or do you all have any other recommendations for reasonably priced rear speakers.

RGA
07-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Actually matching brands is irrelevant you need to match speakers.

Ideally you would want 5 Delta 30's(I am unfamiliar with these) all around - Or 5 B&W N801 all around etc.

But this is not practical so companies have tried their best with varying succes to creat matching center channels.

Now I have 12 year old Wharfedales. They are ring horns which look to be from Fostex. Problem - If I went out today and looked for a center channel - even if I went to Wharfedale they have NOTHING that matches my Wharfedales. Of course this makes sense because all these companies would like you to get rid of your old speakers and buy 5 new ones because of course they "match" and you will get endless technical arguments that will convince you that you should buy 5 new speakers and sell your current speakers.

If your speakers are older Infinities you won't be able to get a matched center speaker for them form Infinity.

All is not lost. I you like our speakers a lot then run your receiver in Phantom mode - which will immitate the center channel - if your speakers and receivers are up to creating a proper image then you should hear a seamless transition from left to right and voice correctly placed across the front. I get this with two speakers in plain stereo - with all of my ~200 DVD's - despite the technical claims of improper mix downs.

You can of course try out different center channels from different makers - but panning from left to right will suffer a bit to a lot depending how far off they are from being a good match. The rears don;t make a difference for movies at all - and surround sound music - I don;t personally care to hear a guy playing a sax from behimd me when they are on a stage in front of me - but if you do then it's important to match with the front.

All this said - it would be best for you to try Infinity first - send them an e-mail and ask them which center speaker they have that is the best match for your speaker. Then make sure you try it before you buy it.

Tzano
07-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Makes sense. I emailed Infinity to see if they can help me match up the older speakers with a newer center. Since I'm still in college, I'm gonna keep the Delta 30s because of the money issue.

ruadmaa
07-05-2004, 11:23 AM
I just started reading the forum as I'm trying to look for advice and knowledge before purchasing a center speaker. Right now, I am trying to put together a home theater for my new aptartment. The HT will probably be used 50/50 between movies and music. Currently I have an Onkyo TX-DS474 (unfortunately lacking the 5-channel option) receiver and Infinity Delta 30s.

I was reading through the forum and you guys seem to really stress listening personally to whichever sounds the best but also to try and match the speaker brands. What would you all recommend for a center speaker in a moderate price range for a college student.

Also with rear speakers should I match those, as well, to Infinity or do you all have any other recommendations for reasonably priced rear speakers.

I am using an Infinity model CC3 center speaker that has two Voice Matching Controls (Mid and High) on the back of the speaker. You can match up the tone of the speaker to just about any brand of speakers that you like.