HSU or Velodyne for a sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HSU or Velodyne for a sub?

Punchy
07-02-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm torn between the two. I'd definitely like to keep it under $500. Matching the sub with the Athena Audition speaker line and probably the Yamaha 1400 for a receiver. Other recommendations are welcome too. :)

Mash
07-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Velodyne makes many different subs. Some Velodyne subs feature a feedback control circuit to reduce distortion below 1% and some Velodyne subs do not. That said, the Hsu does NOT feature a feedback control circuit to reduce distortion, and so you can expect distortion to be closer to 10%.

I have two Velodyne Servo-15 subs. The new one cost me $1300 11 years ago and the used one cost me $700 5 years ago. Paradigm also make a great servo-15 sub. These servo subs all use a feedback control circuit to reduce playback distortion below 1%.

So- what are your criteria: Do you want Quantity or Quality, and at what price?

This Guy
07-02-2004, 05:27 PM
He just said under $500. The only servo sub under $500 is the Rythmik kit with a 320 watt amp and a 12" driver. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/servo_product.htm

The two top subs in this price range seem to be the Adire Rava and HSU VTF-2. I personally would pick the Rythmik and put it in a 3-4 cubic foot sealed box.

-Joey

mtrycraft
07-02-2004, 08:07 PM
I'm torn between the two. I'd definitely like to keep it under $500. Matching the sub with the Athena Audition speaker line and probably the Yamaha 1400 for a receiver. Other recommendations are welcome too. :)

I'd go for the Hsu.

Punchy
07-03-2004, 06:18 AM
So is building your own home sub unit tacky? I suppose if it's done right it could be economical? I've built subwoofer boxes in the past for my car but it wasn't the prettiest thing in the world. :D

pwh03
07-03-2004, 09:52 AM
I just got the hsu vtf2 used at audiogon for 350 including shipping. I love the sub and you would have a good chunk of change left if you went used like I did. I am sure you would be happy with the decision I know I am

your choice though

good luck

Ph

This Guy
07-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Yeah home made subs are very economical. If you don't think you could make a decent box yourself, you can buy a pre-made one at partsexpress.com. I think they start at $130 for 3 cubic foot sealed box with a cutout for a 12" driver. But then you have to stain/paint it. Oh here is a review for the kit.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_2/diy-14-rythmik-directservo-subwoofer-4-2004.html

-Joey

Norm Strong
07-03-2004, 12:01 PM

I've heard 2 Hsu VTF-2 subs and both were excellent. I've also heard an Adire Rava that was also excellent. Know nothing about Velodyne subs under $500.

matt39
07-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Hsu and Velodyne are both good choices but I think I'd pick Hsu as the Vtf2 is a good one. As an alternative, why not consider the P400 from Athena Technolgies? If you go with their speakers this would match them to a 't' and is very cost effective (299@Best Buy). It goes pretty deep and has crossover presets for Audition line speakers. Good luck .

Punchy
07-03-2004, 04:13 PM
I heard that the Athena sub wasn't the greatest for the price. I'll probably quit torchering myself and just get it as I initially planned. Argh :mad:

mtrycraft
07-03-2004, 08:52 PM
So is building your own home sub unit tacky?

That is strictly a personal outlook after the project is done:)

What may be tacky to me may be beautiful or very nice to others:) or vice versa

I suppose if it's done right it could be economical?

Could be, yes.

I've built subwoofer boxes in the past for my car but it wasn't the prettiest thing in the world. :D

Practice makes better :)