old receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : old receiver

couchguy
07-02-2004, 11:40 AM
I was giving an old receiver a Sony STR-7065a I was woundering if any one in here has heard of it and knows anything about it. It has a solid wood cabinet. Pls let me know
thanks

woodman
07-03-2004, 01:58 PM
I was giving an old receiver a Sony STR-7065a I was woundering if any one in here has heard of it and knows anything about it. It has a solid wood cabinet. Pls let me know
thanks

I can tell you a little bit about it - it dates back to the early 1970s, making it approximayely 30 years old. It was at or near the top of Sony's receiver line at that time, with a pricetag of about $400 (a fairly expensive receiver in those days).

Does it work? Has it been sitting idle for an extended period of time (years)? What do you intend to do with it?

couchguy
07-04-2004, 06:53 AM
I do not know how long it was sitting. But I do have it running now. I have two othe receivers, an older Onkyo TX--717 pro I think and Integra 5.3 digital receiver. I like the sound it puts out it seems to better than my onkyo. I am looking for a turntable to hook up to it dont wnat to spend to much money no more than 300.00 would like to keep it under 250.00. Anyways everything seems to work on it except the mute switch.

Aflak
07-13-2004, 09:44 PM
I found one of these in my attic about a year ago (i'm 18, it used to belong to the parents).

I also found a pair of Pioneer bookshelf speakers, probably made in 1970 or around there, all wood housing, with a wood crisscross pattern to guard the speaker itself.

And a pioneer turntable, complete with a good vinyl collection (some Dead, most of the classics, classical and jazz, also).

Let me say that this completely rocks, and i will never willingly part with it. I have not turned it near its capacity (no protests from either reciever or speakers) but I've almost destroyed my ears. Bass is awesome, and it is by far the classiest setup I have ever laid eyes on.

Heres to Sony! and Pioneer! for building them to last.

Edit: I get a little static when I adjust the volumn, is there an easy fix (i can solder, so if it comes down to replacing the pot, I can do that).

Have you noticed the tuning system? Open it up, the knob is connected to a pulley, and a loop of string runs from the knob to pull the indicator kneedle back and forth, and to the back of the unit to actually adjust the antenna. Its amazing.

The other problem with mine: I have to turn the power switch to off with a good deal of force, or else it stays on .. . .

uncooked
07-13-2004, 10:08 PM
about the static, open it up and use a can of compressed air, or a air compressor and blow it all out,

aim it on the volume knob inside you will be able to see it. that usually fixes it. if not you will have to get some contact cleaner and spary it in the volume knob from the inside and move it around.

piece-it pete
07-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Uncooked is right, and while I had it open I would clean and treat ALL the contacts and switches using Caigs' deoxit and progold, this is good stuff, even the little starter kit for $10 + frt will be enough for 2 or 3 units:

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c.ACCT113328/sc.2/category.20/.f;jsessionid=ac112b1b1f43a6bbaa0295284fe8ae18ecdf 1de08a57.qQvJq2PEmlnva30O-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOUc30KaNDNo6XKq6zInRmTbgbNo6XK-kDvrA4Ka3eIqQvJq2PEmlnva30O-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOxah8ObxeTbxiQ8Oexo6XHngbynknvrkL OlQzNp65In0__

It only takes very little of each. It also adds a very slick feel to the switchgear and RCA jacks, too. And do the speaker hookups, anywhere there's an electrical contact. Who knows, you might get lucky and it might help the power switch a bit, too, there's a bit of lubricant in that kit, though you still probably should consider using something like a surge protector for a switch anyway.

The string is amazing? You're making me feel old, and I'm not out of my 30s' yet :D !!

For turntable (tt) suggestions I would post in the Analogue room. You could also try AudioAsylum and AudioKarma, I would think $250-300 will get something pretty decent, a budget minded tt and a good needle.

You can find a lot of decent vinyl cheap at thrift stores, though it takes a little looking, last Sunday I bought 60+ discs in at least VGC for $15.00! Usually I only find 2-6, though. Many of them were classical, but also plenty of jazz and rock, and some great weird stuff, like stereo demonstrator records, from when stereo was just introduced (now THAT'S before my time!!), that I really like (they always start like this: from the stated speaker, "This is the left channel", then "this is the right channel", then go on to song clips and sound effects, some of them are pretty good).

For the price at these places you can try different types of music and toss them if you don't like it. Also the recording quality on some albums is better than many cds, though albums can be a pain in the neck, compared to cds.

Have fun!

Pete

Aflak
08-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Bump!

Well, I finally got around to getting some compressed air to clean the guts. Heh, picked up the Experience Hendrix CD while I was out there and had a gift card to the Best Buy, just to break it in when I finished.

It works great now, and my parents are out of town so I had that thing cranked way up loud . . . it sounds fantastic.

I am including some pictures of it, both with and without the cover.

The without cover pics are pre-clean, the with cover pic is post clean.

Is it not a great looking peice of equipment?
1 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/FI-Aflak/IMG_1950.jpg)
2 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/FI-Aflak/IMG_1951.jpg)
3 (http://www.photodump.com/direct/FI-Aflak/IMG_1952.jpg)

Worf101
08-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Say the above with your best Cartmanesque whine. Looking good man, nothing like finding diamonds buried in the basement... or the attic for that matter.

Da Worfster :D

Resident Loser
08-04-2004, 08:24 AM
...real live honest-to-goodness two-channel stereo gear circa 1975...they don't make 'em like that any more(d@mned HT)...Brushed aluminum and knobs and switches and filters and semi-independent/ganged tone controls...a thing of beauty!

Other than some tuner specs, all I could find is that it is rated 60(RMS)wpc...more than sufficient to drive those Pioneers...I'm not sure of their model number, but a buddy of mine had a pair similar in description hooked up to an equivalent Pioneer receiver...very nice simple system...

jimHJJ(...good luck with it and treat it nice...it's older than you are and parts will be difficult if not impossible to come by...)

Oh yeah, P.S. to whom it may concern: the string doesn't adjust the antenna, it manipulates a variable capacitor.

couchguy
08-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Well I have been listening to this receiver for a couple of months now and I love it. Still looking for a turntable to go with it. I do need to take the cover of and clean the inside. My dad just picked up another just like at the same second hand store he payed 5 dollars less than mine (his was free) I would give away my onkyo 717 pro before this receiver. I think when it comes to two channel there is no comparison. What do you think a vintage piece like this is worh?

piece-it pete
08-25-2004, 08:10 AM
Glad you like it, there's some really good old stuff out there. It looks GREAT!

I ran a search on eBay and, though no Sony STR-7065as', a STR-7055 sold recently for $50.00. Item # 5714670637 . A google search mentioned a couple 7065a eBay auctions that must be old, mentioned over a hundred bucks but you don't know if that's asking or if they got it. I'd save a eBay search on it, one'll come up sooner or later.

It goes to show there's some bargains still left out there, Sony hasn't gotten the attention of say old Marantz, Pioneer, or Sansui gear, keeps the price down. Good or bad, depending on your point of view!

I have a Dual 604 Turntable and, while not the last word in TTs' it's a nice unit, goes for about $50.00 on the bay. There's nice pics and specs at this completed auction: # 5714410530 . Keep your eyes open at the resale shops, you might score a nice one!

Pete