Cash-out refi for debt consolidation? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cash-out refi for debt consolidation?

tot3ntanZz
01-23-2023, 12:14 PM
Hey all,
The hubby and I are considering a cash-out refinance to consolidate debt and give us some wiggle room on a monthly basis. Here's our current situation:
Income of $95k for a family of 3. Current mortgage: Owe $133k, 2.87%, 48 year term (!!)
Our total debt, including credit cards, student loans, car loan, and home improvement cards is around $65k. Unfortunately, we had black mold in our home and insurance didn't cover anything, so that is a chunk of it. But some of it was just plain old stupidity in our early married years and racking up credit cards.
We've changed our mindset around money and have been working hard to pay down our debt, but feels like we aren't making enough progress. We've been bouncing our balances around with 0% balance transfer offers, so almost all of our interest rates are at 0%. My student loans are at 6% and I'll only have $4k left after the $10k loan forgiveness. Car loan is 9k at 6.19%.
We were wondering if a cash-out refi to consolidate would be a good move.
Most of the quotes I've gotten are for around $56k (Making new mortgage around $185k), 4.99%, 30 year mortgage. Monthly payment of $1700. Our current monthly mortgage payment is $1100, + $1700 in debt payments. So going with the re-fi would put roughly an extra $1000 in our pockets every month - which would help in paying things down faster.
However, I've run some interest calculators and by doing this, we're adding an extra $100-200k in interest on our mortgage - even accounting for the extra long 48 year term we're currently on.

FREEDDAWG
01-23-2023, 01:19 PM
Some people, having taken out a loan, do not even ask themselves the question: what to do if I cannot pay. It seems that this cannot happen. But anything can happen in life, so it is better to understand in advance what can happen if there is a loan, but there is no money. This is where tripointnow (https://best2020reviews.com/tripoint-lending-2) can help you. They know how to help people pay off debt.