David Kilgour's Frozen Orange next month [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : David Kilgour's Frozen Orange next month

Davey
07-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Huh, you may ask? Who be dat? Well, might only be of interest to a couple three of us around here, but I love the last few David Kilgour albums so it's good news to see he has a new one coming out soon :)
<hr size=3 width="100%" align=center>
<b>28th June 2004 - David Kilgour on Arch Hill</b>
Arch Hill can't quite believe our luck right now. David Kilgour will be releasing his next album Frozen Orange on Arch Hill. As I'm sure you already know, his hugely influential career includes an ongoing involvement with The Clean, and four highly acclaimed solo albums to boot. In fact, in 2001, David was awarded the New Zealand Order of Merit, recognising his contributions to the arts and cultural heritage! We don't want to say too much about the album at the moment, but we can say this; it was recorded in Nashville with members of Lambchop in the band, produced by Mark Nevers ( Lambchop , Calexico , Will Oldham and others) and it is bloody excellent. The album will be out in New Zealand in early September, so stay posted. http://www.archhill.co.nz/news.html
<hr size=3 width="100%" align=center>
But in the good ol' US of A it looks like we'll be getting it a few weeks sooner from Merge! Yea!

tentoze
07-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Huh, you may ask? Who be dat? Well, might only be of interest to a couple three of us around here, but I love the last few David Kilgour albums so it's good news to see he has a new one coming out soon :)

<HR align=center width="100%" SIZE=3>

28th June 2004 - David Kilgour on Arch Hill
Arch Hill can't quite believe our luck right now. David Kilgour will be releasing his next album Frozen Orange on Arch Hill. As I'm sure you already know, his hugely influential career includes an ongoing involvement with The Clean, and four highly acclaimed solo albums to boot. In fact, in 2001, David was awarded the New Zealand Order of Merit, recognising his contributions to the arts and cultural heritage! We don't want to say too much about the album at the moment, but we can say this; it was recorded in Nashville with members of Lambchop in the band, produced by Mark Nevers ( Lambchop , Calexico , Will Oldham and others) and it is bloody excellent. The album will be out in New Zealand in early September, so stay posted. http://www.archhill.co.nz/news.html

<HR align=center width="100%" SIZE=3>

But in the good ol' US of A it looks like we'll be getting it a few weeks sooner from Merge! Yea!
Sounds very interesting, but I'll have to admit:

:confused: Not familiar.

Davey
07-03-2004, 07:56 AM
Sounds very interesting, but I'll have to admit:

:confused: Not familiar.
Here's a paragraph I wrote about him in a Feelies thread here not too long ago followed by a new paragraph I just invented only moments ago.....

David Kilgour and his brother formed the Clean way back in the late 70s and were putting out similar music to the Feelies in the early 80s, although with more of an early Who influence mixed in, I think. Their first single, Tally Ho, is one of the lost gems of rock n roll. Very cool. Not sure they ever really quite matched that level of fun and charm again as they moved more into jangle-rock, but there's a 2-disc anthology that collects all those early songs and it's a great listen. All the early stuff is pretty lo-fi, especially compared to those great sounding Feelies albums, but essential nonetheless for any VU fan. Lots of the sound that Yo La Tengo later became (listen to "Point That Thing Somewhere Else" by the Clean). And blueprints for many other bands, including recent faves like Life Without Buildings (just listen to the song "Side On" by the Clean). Highly influential.

I keep adding things to the list to send you in the upcoming package, but I'll set you up with a copy of one of the earlier David Kilgour albums with the Heavy Eights from 1997 since it's not easy to find in the US and you'd probably like it. Very nice album. A few of us around here benefitted both directly and indirectly in the past from our Kiwi connection, chrisnz, spreading the word about this great album and then I went on to buy and fall in love with and sing the praises of his last one, A Feather In The Engine, which was released on Merge here in the US in 2001. He's really a good guitar player and it's the type of music that you could almost imagine the phrase "perfectly imperfect pop music" was coined to describe. Jangly and fractured and kind of psychedelic, but very endearing and unpretentious. Doesn't try to slap you in the face with hooks and riffs and strong melodies, but instead its subtle charms grow on you and invade your mind and, for me, his albums often wind up in "infinite repeat" mode. Different than, but probably a good listening companion for something like the Devendra Banhart album we both love.