Audible Hisssss Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audible Hisssss Help

yamdsp-a1
12-03-2003, 05:51 AM
HI,

I run a Yamaha DSP-a1 for my home theater but I also use a Denon POA 8200 to power my Paradigm Studio Reference 100's. Recently I noticed a distinct SHHHHH sound eminating from the tweeters, which I either didn't notice before, or it i something new.

I use an AR surge protector which is supposed to give clean power to audio equipment but I am not sure if it does anything other than protect from power surges.

I think the noise is there regardless of input source but honestly, I only noticed it recently and haven't had a chance to verify this. I had it on CD input when I noticed the sound.

Is this a problem or is this just a normal sound when you have 200 watts being fed to your speakers? Is this a grounding issue?

The sound is only noticable when you right up close to the speaker but I thought I would enquire and make sure this is something I should not be concerned with.

Thanks for the help.

Yam

DrJeff
12-03-2003, 11:49 AM
HI,

I run a Yamaha DSP-a1 for my home theater but I also use a Denon POA 8200 to power my Paradigm Studio Reference 100's. Recently I noticed a distinct SHHHHH sound eminating from the tweeters, which I either didn't notice before, or it i something new.

I use an AR surge protector which is supposed to give clean power to audio equipment but I am not sure if it does anything other than protect from power surges.

I think the noise is there regardless of input source but honestly, I only noticed it recently and haven't had a chance to verify this. I had it on CD input when I noticed the sound.

Is this a problem or is this just a normal sound when you have 200 watts being fed to your speakers? Is this a grounding issue?

The sound is only noticable when you right up close to the speaker but I thought I would enquire and make sure this is something I should not be concerned with.

Thanks for the help.

Yam

I would start by trying to determine the source of the hiss. Turn off all components, then turn on power amp only. If it's gone, then the source is in the amp. If not, turn off all sources, then turn on pream/amp. Try switching interconnects, sources, etc. and get a feel for where it's occurring. After that, you'll have a better feel for it. Also, might be A/C interference. make sure all major appliances, heaters, HVAC units, etc. are off, try again at night when there is less industrial load, etc. Once you classify the nature of the hiss, it will be easier to get rid of it.

yamdsp-a1
12-04-2003, 05:18 AM
THAT IS SOUND ADVICE - PARDON THE PUN!

I will do that as I nurse my hangover this saturday am.

Thanks for the input.

Yam

Pat D
12-04-2003, 09:26 AM
HI,

Thanks for the help.

Yam

The thing that caught my eye is that you can only hear the hiss when you are next to the speakers, probably right next to the tweeters. You would probably never hear this in your listening position at normal levels. Relax, it's quite normal. Enjoy your movies and music!

All electronics are going to produce some noise. Indeed, if you look in the specifications in the manuals for your equipment, I'm sure there are specs for signal to noise ratio. So, your speakers are reasonably sensitive and you only hear the noise near the tweeter: it actually seems that your electronics are pretty quiet, quieter than any of your recordings. Maybe not as super quiet as, say, a Bryston amp and preamp, but even they produce a little electronic noise. Your equipment seems more than adequately quiet.

Noise is usually classified as hiss and hum. Hum comes from a little leakage from the power line, and that too can be measured. Too much hum can be a grounding problem or not so good equipment. Since you apparently haven't yet noticed that, it must be pretty low level, too, as it is more audible than hiss. But if you stick your ear near the woofer, I'm sure you will hear a little bit of hum. Perhaps I shouldn't have told you that. ;)

Anyway, from what you have said, it looks like everything is normal.